C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do University Stickers or Emblems Risk Keying/Vandalism?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do University Stickers or Emblems Risk Keying/Vandalism?

I would love to put an OU Alumni emblem or sticker on my C7 when I get it because I'm proud of my school and degree but living in TX I'm sure it wouldn't be long until some jealous or drunk Longhorn or Aggie fan (that of which probably never even went to those universities) might end up keying my car. Has anyone felt their Vette was vandalized just because of the school they support and went to?

I had an OU Alumni sticker on my WS6 Trans Am back in the day but that was when I lived in Oklahoma.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If the emblem was from a university only famous for its tennis teams (is there such a U?) then it wouldn't be a problem but the wrong football university emblem could definitely attract the wrong kind of attention. I grew up in the SEC region of the country and it was like the old SW conference where football is damn serious business

Coming from a risk management guy, is there an increased risk? Sure there is and that risk goes way up for a short time if OU embarrasses UT or A&M on national TV. Personally I like the uncluttered look and I don't care for university emblems on cars; with a Ph.D. I have my choice of three But if you really want your C7 to wear an OU emblem in enemy territory practice good situational awareness and stay away from TX sports bars during the season!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
I would love to put an OU Alumni emblem or sticker on my C7 when I get it because I'm proud of my school and degree but living in TX I'm sure it wouldn't be long until some jealous or drunk Longhorn or Aggie fan (that of which probably never even went to those universities) might end up keying my car. Has anyone felt their Vette was vandalized just because of the school they support and went to?

I had an OU Alumni sticker on my WS6 Trans Am back in the day but that was when I lived in Oklahoma.
Don't see an Aggie doing that although I could be wrong, Have two children, one an Aggie and other a Longhorn alum and we taught them better than to damage other peoples property ..no matter what school or affiliation the other person is with. ( son in law OU fan so lively football riveraly in our house). Anyways, I think it just depends on mentality of the person around your car...might key your car just because jealous and it have nothing to do with an OU sticker on it. ( my 2 cents)

Last edited by AttyVette; 08-27-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by AttyVette
Don't see an Aggie doing that although I could be wrong, Have two children, one an Aggie and other a Longhorn alum and we taught them better than to damage other peoples property ..no matter what school or affiliation the other person is with. ( son in law OU fan so lively football riveraly in our house). Anyways, I think it just depends on mentality of the person around your car...might key your car just because jealous and it have nothing to do with an OU sticker on it. ( my 2 cents)
It's typically not the alumni of universities I'm worried about. It's much more so about the weird psychotic fans that never went to the schools that scare me.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

People worry about the craziest things. Put it on your car and drive it. If it gets keyed, just repaint it. Don't live your life in fear of a 1 in million event that you can fix in a week.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by AustinVettes
People worry about the craziest things. Put it on your car and drive it. If it gets keyed, just repaint it. Don't live your life in fear of a 1 in million event that you can fix in a week.
Right just pay $1000 out of pocket or make a claim to your insurance company. Very smart indeed. Repaints are never the same and that's even if you get an excellent shop. Just the response I expected from someone from Austin. LOL
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Just get an Ohio University decal. You'll know you support the other OU but no one else will. Stealth, man.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have university decals on my C7, and had one on my previous C6 and BMWs I have owned. Never had an issue. I wouldn't worry about it. I have driven to some away games as well, and still no issues.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I think you answered your own question by even being concerned about it. Besides stickers like that don't belong on the C7.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Just the response I expected from someone from Austin. LOL
Well, this explains why people must like keying cars with OU stickers.

Probably best for you to just keep your car locked in the garage just to make sure nothing happens to it.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Funny how people who come to Norman say that everyone is nice and courteous. Not so much for UT...
Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Funny how people who come to Norman say that everyone is nice and courteous. Not so much for UT...
I don't believe you. No one moves TO Norman.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Right just pay $1000 out of pocket or make a claim to your insurance company. Very smart indeed. Repaints are never the same and that's even if you get an excellent shop. Just the response I expected from someone from Austin. LOL
A buddy of mine with a new 911 several years ago had a simple, non-obtrusive small black sticker on his rear window with a single white "W" on it that garnered him a front to back key scratch all the way down the side of his car, along with an obscene scratched in reference to "W" on the rear engine cover, in the distant corner of a WalMart parking lot.

Cost was WAY more than $1000.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by AustinVettes
I don't believe you. No one moves TO Norman.
Something tells me you didn't even graduate highschool.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rad22
A buddy of mine with a new 911 several years ago had a simple, non-obtrusive small black sticker on his rear window with a single white "W" on it that garnered him a front to back key scratch all the way down the side of his car, along with an obscene scratched in reference to "W" on the rear engine cover, in the distant corner of a WalMart parking lot.

Cost was WAY more than $1000.
Tell your buddy AustinVettes would be happy to pay for it since it's so trivial...
Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Something tells me you didn't even graduate highschool.
Right. You read me like a book.

Why ask a question if you will only accept one answer? It already seems like you've decided. Leave it at that.

University of Texas Mechanical Engineer, 1998
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Zax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see plenty of vehicles around DFW with OU stickers, but wouldn't put one on a Corvette.

Get an OU license plate, http://www.myplates.com/landing/Passenger/74 then you're supporting Texas and showing your affiliation.

Get notified of new replies

To Do University Stickers or Emblems Risk Keying/Vandalism?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Douchebaggery is strong in this thread.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Douchebaggery is strong in this thread.
I agree. Just sorta brought it on when an Austinite thought that the cost of repainting a car properly was trivial. I digress.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Horsefly
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default scared?.........

It's typically not the alumni of universities I'm worried about. It's much more so about the weird psychotic fans that never went to the schools that scare me.
If you're scared, just say you're scared.......

sounds like you've already made a decision & are just wanting to start a tiff. Just go with it............

Quick Reply: Do University Stickers or Emblems Risk Keying/Vandalism?