C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to order C7 from small Corvette dealership ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Corvett4Ever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it OK to order C7 from small Corvette dealership ?

Hi Guys,

Initially I was planning to buy a C6 corvette GS but after seeing C7 stingray closely I changed my mind and thought of buying it. So I was planning to order 2015 model and went to a Chevy dealership in Framingham, MA. I heard this dealership is good and I have seen lots of good reviews about them. But these people are not doing large number of Corvette deals and they don’t have big corvette show room like MacMulkin.

When I talked to this sales person, he told me that they can order 2015 C7 for me and he was saying normally it will take 8-12 weeks to receive the car after the order. I was little surprised because I have seen peoples comments in this forum saying that they are waiting long time till their car to arrive. And the other thing is they didn’t have the price details for 2015 model and they used the 2014 model prices to estimate the cost and told me that 2015 model price will be 2% higher than 2014 price. Finally I asked them whether anybody has ordered 2015 model from them and they said, till nobody ordered 2105 model from them.

1) Is it really possible to get the car within 8-12 weeks as they said?
2) Since they are not handling lots of Corvette orders and they don’t have big waiting list, will I get my order soon?
3) Is it ok to order from them since they are not a big Corvette dealer and since they don’t have 2015 price details also?
4) Or Should I order it through macMulkin, since they are among top ten? But not sure how is their waiting list.

The only reason I went to this dealership was because of the good reviews and those people have good customer service.

I would like to get you guys’ opinion whether I should order from them or not.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If they have allocations it's fine. If not, it isn't. Simple as that.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Well, they were wrong about the prices. 2015 prices are known and they are in the GM system. However, even though they don't have basic facts straight, it may be possible for them to get you your C7. A great deal depends on what you want. If you want options that are on constraint, the odds of a small volume dealer getting an allocation with those options drop significantly. Major items on constraint: Z51, standard painted roof, visible carbon fiber roof, carbon fiber dash. New constraint list will come out on tomorrow, but these items have been on constraint since the 2015's were available to order (and Z51, carbon fiber dash and visible carbon fiber roof have been on constraint since C7 production began).
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good advice above. I've ordered a Corvette from my small dealer before and had no problems - it took about 10 weeks or so to get the car. But, as said in the second post, it all depends on whether your dealer has an allocation for a Vette.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Zevo
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

If macmulkin is close then I would do that. Any of the other forum dealers would also be good. I went with a smaller corvette dealer because they are local. It was a mistake. It cost me time and money.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good info from everyone. You want to confirm that they really have allocations. There are tons of horror stories on here about people being on waiting lists for several months only to realize they never had a shot at an order.

I also want to add if you've checked on the GMS discounts. Even if you can't get supplier or employee, you could always get the credit union discount. I would check if they will take it and if not move on to big forum dealer that does. It's a big discount but fully up to the dealers discretion. Here's link to credit union site so you can build your car and see the difference.

https://www.mygmdiscount.com
Old 08-27-2014, 11:41 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I ordered my 2015 C7 through Castle Chevrolet in Villa Park IL. They sell 20+ Corvettes a year. While I paid MSRP for my C7, they gave me a smoking deal on the trade in of my C6. One week after I placed my order, the order went to 3000, and my TPW is 9/15/2014. It should be at the dealership before the end of September. So from order to delivery, approximately 6-7 weeks. So yes, it can work if the dealer has the allocation and is being honest with you.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

If they have allocation, you should see the car before 8 weeks.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

It's working for me, it not a small dealer but they only get a allocation of 2-3 per mo. now I am at TPW 09/15/14 and supplier accepted. So the dealer has been honest with me up to now. I did buy a new Corvette from them in the past.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I lost a lot of time in getting a 2015 on order by trying to work with a small dealer. They only had 3 allocations and the 1st one was spoken for before I got on the list. To date they have yet to advise me of another allocation coming up.

I finally went to a forum dealer and had an order for a Z51 coupe accepted by Chevrolet a week after the order was placed. Having 600 Corvette allocations means a lot in this business.

Last edited by rramjet; 09-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've bought two Corvettes (C6 & C7) from a "small" dealer and had no problems getting the cars. Smaller dealers didn't offer much in the way of discounts on the C7 but I got a great deal on my 2008. That said, I'm now seeing discounts offered on 2014 Stingrays now that the 2015 models are shipping. Dealers with 2014 models want to sell them so discounts are now being offered. Use something like AutoTrader.com and do a search for 2014 models and I'll bet you'll find discounts on their remaining stock. The sooner they sell them the sooner they get allocations for the 2015 models.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
I also want to add if you've checked on the GMS discounts. Even if you can't get supplier or employee, you could always get the credit union discount. I would check if they will take it and if not move on to big forum dealer that does. It's a big discount but fully up to the dealers discretion. Here's link to credit union site so you can build your car and see the difference.

https://www.mygmdiscount.com
Just for clarification, there isn't a "credit union discount" per se. Rather, General Motors is granting eligibility for Supplier Pricing to members of certain credit unions. In other words, no longer must one be employed by a supplier to GM in order to be eligible for Supplier Pricing; membership in eligible credit unions is sufficient.

Also, there's no magic formula to determine the Supplier Pricing numbers. Simply add up the invoice prices for the car, options, and destination, add another $200, and you have the Supplier Price.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:12 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Just"]https://www.mygmdiscount.com[/URL]
Just for clarification, there isn't a "credit union discount" per se. Rather,
Not sure why you would say that, but there is indeed a credit union discount which has been in place for several months.

Regarding the OP - as stated, be sure the dealer has an allocation for you, lock in agreement for total cost (including any discount you may be eligible for), and place your order as you wish the car to be equipped. Do not give more than $1000 - $3000 deposit (refundable), get it in writing, and you should have your order number in short order for tracking.

The car should be built in four weeks or less, presuming you have not included any constrained options, and you should be seeing the car in about 7-8 weeks unless you take Museum delivery, which could be sooner.

Do it - you won't regret it.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 AM
pwj155
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You are so close to macmulkin I would go there to avoid any possible allocation problems with a small dealer. there's a lot of people on this forum that think very highly of them. take a ride up there and talk to them before you commit. they may even have the car you want in stock or incoming.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mfear
If they have allocations it's fine. If not, it isn't. Simple as that.

Really comes down to this. I initially placed my order with a smaller dealership, and they were very up front about the fact that they likely wouldn't have the allocations to get my order in by the time I wanted it. Within a week or so I talked with them again and they made it clear they couldn't get the car with their limited allocations, and suggested I try with some of the other dealerships. I thanked them for their honesty and went with another dealership.

If the smaller dealership isn't very clear with you about their allocation status and where you'd fit into it, you're probably better off going with someone else.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Before I learned "the ropes" I tried ordering from a small local dealer that I like. At least they were straight with me and did tell me that they could not get the car. I ordered my car at MacMulkin but have registered it on my local dealer's system.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

It can work out. My local dealer had allocation. Didn't have pricing straight initially or incentives but once I "schooled" them on those items I got to the right people. Here is what my searches yielded,
Kerbeck - No incentive to order from unless you are local.

Les Stanford - I would have ordered from them. Very upfront about incentives and willing to get the deal done. If I wouldn't have ordered from the local dealer and if the local dealer would not have given me the incentives I would be flying to Michigan to pick up my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it OK to order C7 from small Corvette dealership ?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried to avoid having the car delivered out of state. Something that doesn't make sense is that you pay the destination fee with or without museum delivery. Bowling Green would have been closer to me.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

What is considered a small dealer? The local one I used is in the top 20 for 2014 sales, but there appears to be a significant difference in quantities as you move down the list. I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and going with on of the top 5 instead.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Its actually pretty simple. The allocations are pretty predictable, so if the dealer has an allocation available, then it doesn't matter how big they are.

The exception to that is the constraints. They don't seem to be predictable at all and that's where you get the short end of the stick at a small dealer. However, some things, like the roof panels and carbon fiber dash can be added after the fact, so those are no big deal. Its the Z51 constraint that will nail you.

So, in summary, if you want a non-Z51 and the small dealer has an allocation, no problem. If you want a Z51 (or a Z06), go to the bigger dealer.

Quick Reply: Is it OK to order C7 from small Corvette dealership ?