Sponsored by:

Dealer Will Not Honor Price Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Dealer Will Not Honor Price Protection

I ordered my car in the beginning of July before the $1,000 price increase on August 4th. My car a Z51 A8 coupe is in route to the dealer at this time.

The sales manager says that there was never a price increase on the 2015 and the prices available before the 5th were not official GM prices.

I have received a fair price from the dealer and I am friends with the owners. I just feel based on other dealers honoring the older web price they should do the same.

I have already contacted Chevrolet and they say there is nothing they can do.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do without getting nasty.

Thank You
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

If you're friends with the owners, talk to them, directly or indirectly, the sales manager reports to them.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
1ccrider
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats your sales contract say on the back? It should spell out any price increase or better yet who is responsible for the increase. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:35 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Friends or not, if you had a formal agreement with the dealer to buy your car at a specific price .. they should stick to it.. If you did NOT have such an agreement, then the fault lies with you .. In either case, you've got to decide how badly you want the car, and whether $1k is enough of a deterrent to opt out of the deal .. Your call. But you're going to pay way more than that just in sales tax .. so it doesn't seem worthy of a huge battle.

Just my $.02. Mostly depends on your initial agreement with the dealer .. they should honor it, if there was one.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

If you have a workbench order with your name on it and it a Sold Unit.. someone will get the money back from GM.. either you ... or the dealer.

I would have a conversation with the general manager of owner.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It is an absolute fact that there was a price increase of $1000 (m.s.r.p.); it took place on August 4th. When your dealer looks at "official" 2015 Corvette pricing they will clearly see two pricing charts - one that shows pricing at the start of 2015 production and another that shows pricing effective August 4th. If they tell you anything else, they're lying. FACT.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by Kracka
If you're friends with the owners, talk to them, directly or indirectly, the sales manager reports to them.
I plan to speak to the owner when I pick up the car next week

Thank You
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Why is this a surprise? I would have been in the dealer on August 4th for a decision......

That being said, 1000 is not enuf for me to dump the deal, maybe the dealer, but not the deal.

Remind him you have a delivery survey to fill out and it's not gonna be pretty.....tell that to the sales manager.....at this point they may not want you to take delivery for fear of this.....
Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by jerryv
Friends or not, if you had a formal agreement with the dealer to buy your car at a specific price .. they should stick to it.. If you did NOT have such an agreement, then the fault lies with you .. In either case, you've got to decide how badly you want the car, and whether $1k is enough of a deterrent to opt out of the deal .. Your call. But you're going to pay way more than that just in sales tax .. so it doesn't seem worthy of a huge battle.

Just my $.02. Mostly depends on your initial agreement with the dealer .. they should honor it, if there was one.
You are right I do not plan a battle over a $1,000 as I want the car and still have a good deal. It just anoys me over the principal

Thank You
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It is an absolute fact that there was a price increase of $1000 (m.s.r.p.); it took place on August 4th. When your dealer looks at "official" 2015 Corvette pricing they will clearly see two pricing charts - one that shows pricing at the start of 2015 production and another that shows pricing effective August 4th. If they tell you anything else, they're lying. FACT.
The deal I made was a discount off of MSRP and not a set price. I would not make any threats until the deal is closed. The dealer sponsors a very large Corvette club and I believe in the end the owner will do what is right.

Thank You
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
The deal I made was a discount off of MSRP and not a set price. I would not make any threats until the deal is closed. The dealer sponsors a very large Corvette club and I believe in the end the owner will do what is right.

Thank You
Then your purchase price should be based on the MSRP that was in effect when the order was placed. I can assure you that if your order was in the system before August 4th, the dealer will be paying the pre-increase amount for the car regardless of what the window sticker says.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If the price was official GM, then price protection should apply. If the price was just a guide, no protection. Additionally if the order was changed for any reason, price protection doesn't apply.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry/car
If the price was official GM, then price protection should apply. If the price was just a guide, no protection. Additionally if the order was changed for any reason, price protection doesn't apply.
No order changes. I had asked the dealer for an invoice when the prices were first released. He said that those prices were not official prices as they did not come from the GM web site or appear on the official billing system.

I wonder if I am alone on this situation.

It would help if I knew the names of dealers that honoring the pre price increase. My dealer is a top 50
Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

You were in the business...ask for the sales bulletin, and read it together with the GSM OR GM... There is nothing quasi about this procedure, it is digital....yes or no.....
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

To my knowledge, an order that went in prior to Aug 4th should be price protected! The only exception would be if you changed your order after the 4th ( ie aded different options etc). Sounds like the dealership is looking to make an extra grand on you! Good luck to you and I highly suggest you speak to the owner. It is not only a matter of principal....it's a $1000!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Soon as they report the sale, they will get the protection amount....we do not get the full $1000 retail difference, but they should honor it IF your order was a true sold order...or they or you do not get anything at all
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

I just spoke to the owner of the dealership and the GM factory rep was there and we had a conference call.
The rep says that the Price change on August 4th was the first official price release. He said if there is some bulletin for the southeast he would love to see it.
The dealer said if there is a notice for his area he would be only to glad to honor it.

He also offered to put some miles on my car until I get back home. He said it would be his official driver until I get home in Florida from Vail, Co on tuesday.

He was kidding of cause.

But if anyone can provide me with some official bulletin or GM notice concerning the price protection, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You All For Your Advise

By the way the last time I was a car dealer was in 1993. I went into the window manufacturing business after that. Since then my nephew and I sold the company 2 times to two different private equity companies.

Funny after being brought up in the car business, my rear success 'went out the window".

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Will Not Honor Price Protection

Old 08-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like they're trying to jerk you around. I would dump the deal and go elsewhere, but that's just my personal opinion.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Sounds like they're trying to jerk you around. I would dump the deal and go elsewhere, but that's just my personal opinion.
And what would that accomplish? He'd have to reorder at the new higher price anyway.
The following users liked this post:
C82021 (10-25-2020)
Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I ordered my car in the beginning of July before the $1,000 price increase on August 4th. My car a Z51 A8 coupe is in route to the dealer at this time.

The sales manager says that there was never a price increase on the 2015 and the prices available before the 5th were not official GM prices.

I have received a fair price from the dealer and I am friends with the owners. I just feel based on other dealers honoring the older web price they should do the same.

I have already contacted Chevrolet and they say there is nothing they can do.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do without getting nasty.

Thank You

Thank You
You didn't have a dated, and signed hard and fast sales order-contractual agreement. There's nothing you can do about it.

According to the terms of what you're saying you both agreed to, they're not honoring the deal of; "a discount off of MSRP," ON AND FROM THE DATE YOU ORDERED IT. -They reneged on ya.

Quick Reply: Dealer Will Not Honor Price Protection