Sponsored by:

Convertible top malfunctioned today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

The first time I tried my remote it stalled and I finished lowering it from the dash switch. It worked fine the second time I did it. I'm thinking I will not be using the remote again!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM
juststan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
The first time I tried my remote it stalled and I finished lowering it from the dash switch. It worked fine the second time I did it. I'm thinking I will not be using the remote again!
i tried to replay this over and over in my head just cant figure what went wrong .what i did notice trying to reenact it was that when i used the remote it went half way through the process as i was going to the car to use the switch i notice the top back rolled back down after 20 to 30 seconds.picture the lid is now above the glass closing right into the glass.if anybody has some extra time pay attention to see if top drops back down when the cycle is not complete.in other words the lid is up and the back glass is up wait and see if the glass drops back down. thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Larry Hagmans liver
Intermediate

Yikes! That stinks! I've got a C7 vert and haven't any problems with it thus far. Glad no one was hurt.
It sounds like the dealer is working with you on this so that's good to hear.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM
juststan
Advanced

dealer installed new top .the guys where great .have to go back rubber molding to deck not fitting right to passenger side upwards molding .gm said it can be done in 1hr 12 minutes .maybe for a robot .i was there for a total of 7 hours and these guys didn't stop working .wow what a job. hopefully we get it done in next session .its like a getting tattoo .
Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM
juststan
Advanced

pic1
Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by juststan
dealer installed new top .the guys where great .have to go back rubber molding to deck not fitting right to passenger side upwards molding .gm said it can be done in 1hr 12 minutes .maybe for a robot .i was there for a total of 7 hours and these guys didn't stop working .wow what a job. hopefully we get it done in next session .its like a getting tattoo .
Wow...that was terrible but glad they got right on making it right...
Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Man, that really sucks. Good luck with the warranty claim.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:15 PM
juststan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Man, that really sucks. Good luck with the warranty claim.
they are paying for everything plus sum.lets just hope they get it right .i go to bed sick every night just thinking about it .
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM
juststan
Advanced

they are paying for everything plus sum.lets just hope they get it right .i go to bed sick every night just thinking about it .
4 more hours of install and still dont have it right .now i cant open driver side door.window getting caught on the top.tried reindexing and still no good.calling gm today to see what they can do.dealer tried everything to line it up but no good.these dealers do not have any expierance with this new top.side pilars of weather stripping not flush.i have broken glass inbeded in the paint under the rear spoiler i think im screwed.i found the glass when i cut my hand when cleaning it.i think the only way to resolve this is gm needs to send me a whole complete top not just the skin from factory.i know they wont go for it and they will say its to expensive but they alreaddy have 12 hrs invested and still going.not sure if i can bring this up on lemon law if they dont fix it right.so far the dealer has been bending over backwards to keep me happy but when do you say enough is enough.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I can feel your pain, frustration and anger. I hope GM and the dealer discover the adjustments needed and then complete ALL the repairs and return the car to you as delivered.

If not maybe they should consider just replacing it.

Good luck.

Tom
Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM
juststan
Advanced

gm opened a case and is having a senior advisor contact me asap.so i guess i will know more by next week if im lucky .didnt even make first payment yet.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

It must have bound up with the glass out of position. Sorry for the trouble but as said, warranty will take care of it.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
juststan
Advanced

spoke with gm they said they will make it right .my 12th new gm and haven't seen that yet.hope gm is watching this site.i am disgusted.they told me that i should not be driving that car. so now what 75k down the drain. i need a full top from factory that might make it right.and two new painted bumpers to.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM
juststan
Advanced

gm i hope you are watching this thread .not going good at all .12hrs in and still cant get it right .gm denied a rep/tech to come see whats going on .a tech from Detroit said replacing the new top is a mother f&^%er to the manager of the dealership and good luck .it will be going in for the 3rd time.i am a wits end .been dealing with a gm guy from Detroit who sits in a little cubicle and is told what to say.75k Obama should be here.sorry for the rant guys just frustrated.shouldnt have a tech from Kentucky have called.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

gm i hope you are watching this thread .not going good at all .12hrs in and still cant get it right .gm denied a rep/tech to come see whats going on .a tech from Detroit said replacing the new top is a mother f&^%er to the manager of the dealership and good luck .it will be going in for the 3rd time.i am a wits end .been dealing with a gm guy from Detroit who sits in a little cubicle and is told what to say.75k Obama should be here.sorry for the rant guys just frustrated.shouldnt have a tech from Kentucky have called.
Damn, that stinks! It may be time to look into your state's lemon laws. But I'm hoping the dealership can still make your vert perfect for you. For 75K you deserve the best treatment, not what appears to be runaround BS!! Keep us posted.

Last edited by Virtual Geezer; 09-26-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Lets put this in perspective

Do you think that GM is watching this thread? Seriously?

Guys - just last week GM paid out several million dollars to some lady because her daughter's Saturn Ion killed her.

Do you seriously think that they really care that your car has a malfunction in the top?

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top malfunctioned today

Old 09-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

Not surprised.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

spoke with gm they said they will make it right .my 12th new gm and haven't seen that yet.hope gm is watching this site.i am disgusted.they told me that i should not be driving that car. so now what 75k down the drain. i need a full top from factory that might make it right.and two new painted bumpers to.
gm opened a case and is having a senior advisor contact me asap.so i guess i will know more by next week if im lucky .didnt even make first payment yet.
4 more hours of install and still dont have it right .now i cant open driver side door.window getting caught on the top.tried reindexing and still no good.calling gm today to see what they can do.dealer tried everything to line it up but no good.these dealers do not have any expierance with this new top.side pilars of weather stripping not flush.i have broken glass inbeded in the paint under the rear spoiler i think im screwed.i found the glass when i cut my hand when cleaning it.i think the only way to resolve this is gm needs to send me a whole complete top not just the skin from factory.i know they wont go for it and they will say its to expensive but they alreaddy have 12 hrs invested and still going.not sure if i can bring this up on lemon law if they dont fix it right.so far the dealer has been bending over backwards to keep me happy but when do you say enough is enough.
i tried to replay this over and over in my head just cant figure what went wrong .what i did notice trying to reenact it was that when i used the remote it went half way through the process as i was going to the car to use the switch i notice the top back rolled back down after 20 to 30 seconds.picture the lid is now above the glass closing right into the glass.if anybody has some extra time pay attention to see if top drops back down when the cycle is not complete.in other words the lid is up and the back glass is up wait and see if the glass drops back down. thanks
i was and holy **** i said

just got a 2 calls one from gm and 1 from dealer that i bought the car from they want to look in to this asap .this is my 9th new gm car im use to it . im dealing with my local dealer who is a friend of mine .he let me take the car home instead of leaving it at the dealer so everybody can drive it .thats not staying there for a week or 7 .i found the peice that broke the window .its attached with 2 screws on the bottom of the deck lid its the male piece that fits into the female on back of console behind seat .now roof wont go up or down says its overheated
i just had a couple of drinks and said ****ing gm

ah what the hell bad week i guess hopefully they do right by me . i know there is gm watching this blog please look into maybe why this happened .
as of now it seems like the electric pump is malfunctioning.the top will not go up or down .the dic says system is overheated and try again.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

That is the part that sucks, a replaced top will not be the quality install of a factory one.

Glad no one got hurt. Hope they work this out for you.

Last edited by Carnut12; 09-27-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Convertible top malfunctioned today