Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 8-speed transmission

Old 08-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
BMW's 6MT sucked. Corvette's 7MT is the real deal!
how so?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I won't be ordering my Z06 with a A8. Simply because I have now had 3 generations of DCT (dual clutch) in my M3s and M5s, and I just cannot stand the feeling of a traditional automatic transmission no matter how fast it shifts. I always hate people braking on a hill because the car keeps going faster and faster or having to keep my foot on the brake pedal in a red light. DCT is so good that it feels and works just like a manual transmission with the convenience and performance of automatic. I don't understand why GM did not make one for Corvette. Well I sort of do, because it would be expensive, but then they could buy it off of Getrag (which is the company that makes BMW's, Ferrari's, and Formula 1's dual clutch transmissions) and put a steep price tag on it ($2,900 in BMWs).
Then again, once you add in the fact that existing DCTs would not fit in the space they had and they wanted a transmission they could use for other applications, it becomes much more obvious why they did what they did.

I love everyone assuming they know how this transmission is going to work before trying one (or even info from a number of people that have).
Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Then again, once you add in the fact that existing DCTs would not fit in the space they had and they wanted a transmission they could use for other applications, it becomes much more obvious why they did what they did.

I love everyone assuming they know how this transmission is going to work before trying one (or even info from a number of people that have).
This is very true; but at the same time, we will have to see how it performs. The initial reports are that the manual mode continues to be lazy in it's shifts commanded from the paddles; and that is really what will be the determining factor on how well the transmission works in a performance category.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-c...more-efficient
Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
This is very true; but at the same time, we will have to see how it performs. The initial reports are that the manual mode continues to be lazy in it's shifts commanded from the paddles; and that is really what will be the determining factor on how well the transmission works in a performance category.

That "laziness" in shifting when using the paddles in manual, was only reported by one of the reviewers when GM had a bunch of auto writers from various magazines drive the Stingray A8 at their Milford test track about 10 days ago. Other writers driving that day, did NOT report a delay and one felt the shift speeds when hitting the paddles in manual, were virtually indistiguishable from a PDK/DCT. We will find out shortly the real scoop as new owners take delivery of their Stingray A8's and report in.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
That "laziness" in shifting when using the paddles in manual, was only reported by one of the reviewers when GM had a bunch of auto writers from various magazines drive the Stingray A8 at their Milford test track about 10 days ago. Other writers driving that day, did NOT report a delay and one felt the shift speeds when hitting the paddles in manual, were virtually indistiguishable from a PDK/DCT. We will find out shortly the real scoop as new owners take delivery of their Stingray A8's and report in.
You hit the nail in the head.

Technology moves ahead and this new A8 looks to be superior to the previous A6.

I've been driving manuals for over 35 years and it looks like my next corvette will have this A8.......it's seems to be that good in initial reports.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

With all due respect, you can feel it being faster. It will most likely be 0.1-0.2s faster per shift. In a quarter mile, you'll be shifting twice. 90% of this forum is not professional, so you vs me in a MT vs AT will be half a second apart in a 1/4 mile and that is quite a lot. It also feels fast in day to day driving.

Dont kid yourself with all of this not faster or won't feel faster. You should be picking one other because of your needs. I want 7MT because its a true racing transmission, I'm a car enthusiast, this will be my weekend car, and I don't like automatic transmission GM offers with a torque converter. You may want A8 for completely opposite reasons, and it's perfectly fine.

They say the A8 is as fast as PDK. My DCT is not as fast as PDK and even then it feels so much faster than a manual transmission.
Nothing is fact yet until an A6 and A8 are on a drag strip together. All of what you say about the 2 is your own prediction.

An A6 or A8 will beat an M7 non-professional driver 9 out of 10 times in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. ..and probably a profession driver 5/10 times. Just my thought.

I owned a Z4 35i and the DCT felt every bit as fast as the PDK in the 2013 Boxster I test drove 3 times.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

Another supposed advantage to the A8 over the A6 is that the rpm drop between each gear will be less so that the engine stays closer to the powerband when you are running down the quarter mile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 8-speed transmission