C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muting the stereo doesn't pause your music..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Don't recall the last piece of audio equipment I owned where mute also paused the music. Foreign/domestic cars, home audio, home theater, computer, phone and so on.
Originally Posted by Mdm23
This is the norm for almost anything that plays music. Your Audi and Lexus are exceptions.
Then so's my VW...

Originally Posted by C7cmnthru
I don't think it's strange. When you mute your TV, the show keeps playing.
Originally Posted by talon90
If you mute your TV does the picture stop?...
This is a specious argument. When you "mute" your TV, you want the picture to continue. For times when you don't, there is a separate "pause" function on most cable boxes...so you can stop the picture as well, if need be.

Unlike your TV at home, in your car the circumstances under which you would really want your prerecorded music to continue playing in the background while the system is muted for a phone call or navigation directions would be extremely rare, if they exist at all. My VW has no "pause" button...it has a "mute" button which mutes live material, but also pauses my prerecorded music, killing two birds with one stone. The navigation and phone systems also automatically pause prerecorded music when appropriate. Those whacky Germans...why the hell would they ever think that you wouldn't want to miss your music while your car or phone was bitching at you about something?

The OP made a valid point, whether his complaint matters to you or not. But, by all means, please continue ridiculing him. Nothing could possibly be more productive.

Last edited by 1analguy; 08-30-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I want to throw in my support for the OP. I cannot think of a situation where I would want an audio-only source to continue playing while muted. The arguments for audio/video sources are not equivalent.

The design on the C7 infotainment system creates a situation where the only always-accessible hardware switch for this function is the mute push button. The pause button is only available on the multifunction screen, which may not be displayed when you have a need to mute. There are hardware switches for skip forward/back (on both the console and the steering wheel thumb arrows when set to audio mode). But unlike a DVD player, TV remote, DVR, or other hardware devices you have been mentioning, there is no physical pause/play button.

When I suddenly have a need to mute audio (to pay a toll, talk to someone outside, answer my cell phone), I don't want to step through a multifunction screen and find the soft-button on screen. I want to push something fast. On our car, it's the mute button and it would be convenient and sensible for it to also pause the music.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

When I mute my wife, she keeps talking.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

mercedes Benz also pauses the music when you mute it.

any of your own media is paused with the mute button, cd, Bluetooth audio, sd card, iPod, etc. radio of course would not be paused.

all you guys laughing are obviously a little out of touch with what's been going on in car audio for the last 10 years.

yes, op, it is super annoying. it's the little things.....there's nothing bigger is there?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you realize when your car is in reverse and the back up camera is on you cannot mute your radio
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys trying to make fun of me and making inapposite arguments based on different facts are.. Well.. You know.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM
mfear
Pro

Originally Posted by MThomas
Did you realize that when your car is in reverse and the back up camera is on you cannot mute your radio
Yeah, that's odd, too
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Pressing the "MUTE" button on your DVD player doesn't pause your movie either, that's why there's a "PAUSE" button.
Absolutely my thought too. Mute does not, nor should it alter playback. It merely mutes the sound coming out of the speakers (otherwise it would be labeled "Pause".
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM
mfear
Pro

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Absolutely my thought too. Mute does not, nor should it alter playback. It merely mutes the sound coming out of the speakers (otherwise it would be labeled "Pause".
Yeah that would make sense if your radio displayed a picture. It doesn't. Any other brain busters?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
mfear
Pro

Originally Posted by talon90
If you mute your TV does the picture stop? If you mute your radio at home does the broadcast stop?

Why would mute = pause?
Because it's not a TV? You're comparing two complete different pieces of equipment and trying to analogize their functions... Doesn't make for a cogent argument.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
This is the norm for almost anything that plays music except what GM designs. Your Audi and Lexus are not really exceptions.
fixed.

Hell even Ram pauses during mute.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 08-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Actually on eternal sourcing like IPOD, real engineers use the mute as the pause...GM as usual missed the memo.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Ninjaserver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so, the button on the top left, that is universally accepted as a POWER button, not mute. I do understand mute vs pause, but what about adding "power" to the mix. When I hit "power
" it does not pause my music either. I'm fine with the steering wheel mute, but if i hit the button pictured above (smart asses save comments on the screen button) I don't expect to miss my songs playing. I exclusively listen to USB based audio. No radio, no pandora, no blutooth audio. As many have said "pause" should be a default, not "mute. If there's a part people don't like on their media as cited above...i am sure ffwd or edit of track, or spin volume down would suffice for that one in a million song a person actually has on their own media.
All that said. Is that "power" button supposed to just mute the system. I realize holding it turns the media off as I desire. I don't touch my touch screen save with a stylus so I prefer a hard button to "pause" my music.
Also not sure if an incoming or outgoing phone call auto pauses media. I sure hope so
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

The immaturity and intolerance on this forum is quite sad, yet the analogies are oddly amusing.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Ninjaserver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mfserge
The immaturity and intolerance on this forum is quite sad, yet the analogies are oddly amusing.

I cannot agree more Mfear. I have been on music forums, forums for this and that, but on a forum for a 50,000 plus dollar car I am amazed at how many people spend their time searching post to critique and be the completely opposite of helpful. Look at the number of people who waste their life and time, on this post alone, making snide remarks.
I certainly won't be around corvette forum long if every time i go to a post that matters to me, I have to share time with immaturity.
Please guys, and boys, and girls. Don't waste time being mean and argumentative. Be SUPER thankful you know the C7 corvette, probably own one, and can spend your spare time helping other people.

Please save retoric on the above and focus on the topic posted. Muting/Pausing and as I have added to mix out of general interest the Power button

Last edited by Ninjaserver; 08-30-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: I want to keep this post on track, MUTE and Pause
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ninjaserver
I cannot agree more Mfear. I have been on music forums, forums for this and that, but on a forum for a 50,000 plus dollar car I am amazed at how many people spend their time searching post to critique and be the completely opposite of helpful. Look at the number of people who waste their life and time, on this post alone, making snide remarks.
I certainly won't be around corvette forum long if every time i go to a post that matters to me, I have to share time with immaturity.
Please guys, and boys, and girls. Don't waste time being mean and argumentative. Be SUPER thankful you know the C7 corvette, probably own one, and can spend your spare time helping other people.
I agree. I've been a long time member of luxury watch forums and when questions are asked (no matter how silly they may seem) they're addressed with respect. Here, that doesn't happen, most people try to be smart@$$3$ around here. And to see a moderator pile on with a silly analogy is quite disappointing of the site as a whole.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Pausing media with steering wheel control

You can pause your media from a steering wheel control...

...you press the "voice" button. It's the button to give a command and it also pauses your media. Yes - you do get to hear "command please" - but it does accomplish what the OP wants in pausing his media.

Get notified of new replies

To Muting the stereo doesn't pause your music..

Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MThomas
Did you realize when your car is in reverse and the back up camera is on you cannot mute your radio
Weird. Well, did you realize that the words to Amazing Grace can be sung to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Hmph, well, I never! We need to put one of these on you.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Fits in perfectly with the childish theme around here. We should change the forum name to The Romper Room C7 Forum.

Quick Reply: Muting the stereo doesn't pause your music..