Can't turn AC off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Can't turn AC off

Using AC a lot since I got my C7 a month ago. The few times I turned it off, the light goes off, the screen says it's off, but it's still blowing cold air. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
Using AC a lot since I got my C7 a month ago. The few times I turned it off, the light goes off, the screen says it's off, but it's still blowing cold air. Anyone else experience this?
Where do you have the temperature set when you turn AC off? Some others have reported with current GM vehicles if the temperature is set to its minimum setting the compressor will run even with the AC turned off, setting it above minimum stops that behavior.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSC5
Where do you have the temperature set when you turn AC off? Some others have reported with current GM vehicles if the temperature is set to its minimum setting the compressor will run even with the AC turned off, setting it above minimum stops that behavior.
I do recall reading that, so I tried setting the temp up to 61 or 62, but still can't turn it off. If I turn the fan off, the AC turns off, but what if I want to blow air without chilling it?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM
frogwo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AC off

Turn left side (as you sit in your car) fan control **** all the way counter clockwise turns off.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by frogwo
Turn left side (as you sit in your car) fan control **** all the way counter clockwise turns off.
No, left side controls temp. Right side controls fan. Sure, as I posted above, if I turn fan off, AC goes off. But what if I want fan on and AC off?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have the temp set on LO, the AC compressor will turn on, and you'll get cold air. On any other setting, it won't come on unless Auto or AC is on. If yours doesn't behave that way, something might be wrong.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I do recall reading that, so I tried setting the temp up to 61 or 62, but still can't turn it off. If I turn the fan off, the AC turns off, but what if I want to blow air without chilling it?
You set the temperature up to 62? That is still way low, try above the actual outside air temperature. I don't think I ever set the temperature below 75. When the unit calls for heat the AC should be off unless set to window defroster.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

If I recall correctly, has to be above 64 in order to disengage the compressor? Set it to 68 and see if you get the same results... Likely not.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
aboudd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about that myself as I am having the same experience. I had the temp set to low and the fan on, the AC off and still getting cold air. Strange engineering concept at GM, ya think?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:42 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by aboudd
I was wondering about that myself as I am having the same experience. I had the temp set to low and the fan on, the AC off and still getting cold air. Strange engineering concept at GM, ya think?
I agree it's a crazy system but I've gotten used to it. I don't use auto. If the left **** is set to 60 the compressor always runs even if you push the AC button and the indicator light goes out. Turning to 61 turns off the compressor.

The craziest part is the AC indicator light going off when you press the AC button yet the compressor really is still running .
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you using Auto or the defroster or windshield setting because all the new cars automatically use AC to take moisture out of the interior area and especially at temperatures probably more than 10 degrees difference between outside and inside temperatures !!! That's why when I drove my car home in March when the temperature was 35 outside and I turned the temperature to 70 inside at least for about the 1st 3-6 minutes !!! Wayne
Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Ninjaserver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM Manual indicates for turning off climate control you have to rotate the fan speed dial counterclockwise until off....you're not broke, it's just a quirk they should have done differently....
Another silly "why did they do that" instead of just having an "off" button
The following users liked this post:
jmarkey77 (04-23-2022)
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

As others have said, having on LO will run AC. Also, there is a setting for Auto Defrost you can turn off in the climate control settings. In its standard ON setting this too will run the AC in many circumstances. I set mine off and now the AC never runs without pressing the AC button or on LO.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wgood
Are you using Auto or the defroster or windshield setting because all the new cars automatically use AC to take moisture out of the interior area and especially at temperatures probably more than 10 degrees difference between outside and inside temperatures !!! That's why when I drove my car home in March when the temperature was 35 outside and I turned the temperature to 70 inside at least for about the 1st 3-6 minutes !!! Wayne
Not using Auto, defrost, or windshield. (It's warm here!) The light on the AC button goes out, the infotainment screen says AC is off, but cold air keeps blowing! Why have an OFF setting that doesn't actually, you know, turn the AC off?! What's Chevy's purpose here? To fake us out?

I'm gonna try setting it above 65 as some have suggested, and see if that works.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by aboudd
Let's see. You have set the temp to Low, which IIRC is below 62 F. This is below ambient temperature everywhere but Canada, and the mountains at this time of year. The only way the system can possibly meet your request is to turn on the AC compressor.

You do realize the temp you dial up is the desired cabin temp, not the temperature of the air coming from the vents?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Let's see. You have set the temp to Low, which IIRC is below 62 F. This is below ambient temperature everywhere but Canada, and the mountains at this time of year. The only way the system can possibly meet your request is to turn on the AC compressor.

You do realize the temp you dial up is the desired cabin temp, not the temperature of the air coming from the vents?
What part of OFF do Chevy engineers not understand?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

What part of OFF do Chevy engineers not understand?
As I mentioned in my post above, try turning off the Auto Defog in the vehicle settings menu. This is not the same as the AUTO button. The LO temp setting will bring AC always, but this setting will prevent it otherwise.

See page 5-43 of the manual (2014).

I leave my temp at 61, and the AC never comes on unless I push the button.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't turn AC off

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Man you all are a bunch of friggin Eskimos, I got cold just reading this thread! Good luck on the fix, though.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Man you all are a bunch of friggin Eskimos, I got cold just reading this thread! Good luck on the fix, though.
I have never set my cabin temperature below 73 and that was when I had the top down in traffic. The system doesn't blow colder air the lower you set the desired temperature. It will max cool until the desired temperature is reached then modulate incoming air to keep that selected temperature. In theory, if you select auto 72, the system should provide a cabin temperature in any climate condition (winter, summer, spring, fall) of 72.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Would some one please send this thread to Corvette engineers. I wonder what they would say!!

Quick Reply: Can't turn AC off