Sponsored by:

This shipping by rail thing totally sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Default This shipping by rail thing totally sucks

My '15 has been sitting in a railroad yard in Toledo, OH for nearly a week and it's still not moving. I just spoke with someone at Norfolk Southern and they say that the earliest it will begin moving is Tuesday, after sitting there for 10 days. Who knows how long it will then take to reach its destination in Portland, OR. Once it gets there it still needs to be trucked to the dealer some 50 miles away and who knows how long it will sit in between. My car was built two weeks ago and it's still a long way from being delivered. Grrr.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hang in there, Mike. You know it'll be worth it.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
FRC_1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took 34 days from production complete to delivery. It took the train 5 days to cross the CONUS from Ohio. You can call Chevy customer service with your order # and they will be able to tell you exactly where the train is at. I did it everyday until it arrived in Renton WA where it sat another 4 days before being delivered to the dealer. Hang in there, I know your pain.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
My '15 has been sitting in a railroad yard in Toledo, OH for nearly a week and it's still not moving.
bummer. I haven't heard any praise of the rail delivery service.

but... at least yours has left the back lot of the plant !!!

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 08-30-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup, i'm in the same boat as you are waiting for mine here in Cali. Mine was built on the 11th, shipped on the 22nd, and is still at that train yard in Ohio. Funny thing is that my dealer is waiting for 10 of those current in that yard, and they shipped only one of them a few days ago. The rest are just sitting there. It is ridiculous. First via truck, then by train, and then by truck. It appears that shipping might take a month or more. They should be trucked all of the way through, as many are sold here in the West Coast as well.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Village joe
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My car Was in railyards for 36 days between 2 yards before finally got to The dealership in New Hampshire. That was back in April so things haven't changed any
Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

The thing that holds your cars up in rail yards is getting enough rail cars together that need to go to a place. Then they switch out and rebuild trains every so often along the way.

I just brought a train full of new silverados and camaros down from Chicago to Saint Louis. Haven't had the pleasure of having any corvettes on my train yet. Hopefully by summer I'll be ordering my 2015. Enjoy it when you get it.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

MPUZACH:

What dealer did you order your C7 through?

Was it a Courtesy Delivery, or was the ordering dealer the delivering dealer.

I put the above in past tense, fully understanding that you are a ways away from getting delivery!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:53 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

My '15 has been sitting in a railroad yard in Toledo, OH for nearly a week and it's still not moving. I just spoke with someone at Norfolk Southern and they say that the earliest it will begin moving is Tuesday, after sitting there for 10 days. Who knows how long it will then take to reach its destination in Portland, OR. Once it gets there it still needs to be trucked to the dealer some 50 miles away and who knows how long it will sit in between. My car was built two weeks ago and it's still a long way from being delivered. Grrr.
Once it gets loaded on a train and leaves Ohio, it should be a little over a week before it gets to Portland. My TL was built in Ohio on 9/26, sat at the plant for several days, took a train to Portland, sat in the Portland rail yard for a few days and came into the dealer 10/13. Once your car leaves Ohio, I am guessing it will be about 10 to 12 days before it shows up at your dealer.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that certainly sucks, let's hope they don't do, like the case with the bodies of those Boeing planes; You know off tracks, down bank, river, ect. While I haven't decided yet on a 15/16 Z-06. If I do, I hope one could pick her up at the factory and drive her home? Can't remember where I heard/read "Museum" deliveries were no longer taking place? The very thought of some kid moving my new baby sends "Chills" down my spine. PS remember the U-Tube video of the Cyber Gray ZR-1 at the storage yard, and the security guard?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Well that certainly sucks, let's hope they don't do, like the case with the bodies of those Boeing planes; You know off tracks, down bank, river, ect. While I haven't decided yet on a 15/16 Z-06. If I do, I hope one could pick her up at the factory and drive her home? Can't remember where I heard/read "Museum" deliveries were no longer taking place? The very thought of some kid moving my new baby sends "Chills" down my spine. PS remember the U-Tube video of the Cyber Gray ZR-1 at the storage yard, and the security guard?
Don't know where you heard that but its false.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Wouldn't it been a lot easier to fly & buy & drive home like I did !!!! Wayne
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Don't know where you heard that but its false.
It could be the "Voices" in my head? I would certainly want to pick mine up and enjoy the ride/break-in on the way home. I once worked across from a rail yard where vehicles were unloaded. A bus arrives with these kids/questionable adults. Then the rail cars are opened, and the kids/questionable adults start unloading and parking them in the storage lot. I won't go into detail as that could potentially lead to anxiety. I WILL be picking mine up if I order a new Z-06. I haven't had a vacation out of a 100 mile radius since 1996, it's past over-due...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by wgood
Wouldn't it been a lot easier to fly & buy & drive home like I did !!!! Wayne
For some, sure; in my case, no.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I checked with Customer Service they told me that it was "traveling by rail" but could not give me any other specific info. My salesman's not in right now and not particularly responsive lately. Is there another way to check?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
It could be the "Voices" in my head? I would certainly want to pick mine up and enjoy the ride/break-in on the way home. I once worked across from a rail yard where vehicles were unloaded. A bus arrives with these kids/questionable adults. Then the rail cars are opened, and the kids/questionable adults start unloading and parking them in the storage lot. I won't go into detail as that could potentially lead to anxiety. I WILL be picking mine up if I order a new Z-06. I haven't had a vacation out of a 100 mile radius since 1996, it's past over-due...
Like laws and sausages, car deliveries are something you don't want to see being made.

What you probably heard was that Museum deliveries had stopped temporarily for the model year changeover, which was perfectly true. This happens every year, simply because the plant holds the new ones for a few weeks, so there's none to deliver until GM decides the new ones are up to code and turns them loose. Then R8C is on for another 11 months.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Living on the west coast sucks when it comes to ordering a C7.

Get notified of new replies

To This shipping by rail thing totally sucks

Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM
CUSA
Racer

Default Hear it from a Train Engineer!

Originally Posted by artz66
The thing that holds your cars up in rail yards is getting enough rail cars together that need to go to a place. Then they switch out and rebuild trains every so often along the way.

I just brought a train full of new silverados and camaros down from Chicago to Saint Louis. Haven't had the pleasure of having any corvettes on my train yet. Hopefully by summer I'll be ordering my 2015. Enjoy it when you get it.
This is why you'll never know how long it be.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a trick to find out where it's at besides your dealer or customer service. My dealer hasn't been very responsive and customer service can't tell me where it's at. They said it's left Toledo but the "we don't hold them for long there" reason for this didn't instill a lot of confidence.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sure charge enough for delivery.....
Is Fed Ex an option?

Quick Reply: This shipping by rail thing totally sucks