Sponsored by:

2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
It is unfortunate that so many folks are still struggling with OEM navigation systems. Kudo's to Garmin for making a system that is intuitive and easy to use but a Garmin suction cupped to the window is so much less featured than the OEM integrated MyLink system.

I love being able to be on a route, do a quick POI search for gas or hotel or restaurants on the route I'm on or at my destination with just a couple of button presses. I love that once I have the hotel or restaurant up on my screen I can have the system dial the associated phone number and while driving there, make a reservation all over the MyLink system.

I love that with my cell phone connected I can use the system to access Siri on my phone and find information, zip codes or phone numbers all over the audio system.

I love the fact that if it is on my cell phone as a contact, address or phone number or email address, I can use my system to access it, navigate to it or call it right from my system, while driving and without having to type on a portable unit. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added meaning I have the most up to date information with me at all times.

While yes, all of this is possible with a portable and a smartphone, I can do all of it alone, while driving with a couple of screen presses or voice commands without having to even take out my cellphone from my holster.

If you are willing to toss out the "Garmin" mindset and invest a minimum amount of time, the rewards and features are so worth the MyLink navigation system. I met with 20 different owners after my seminar at the NCM and left each of them with a renewed sense of confidence and ability with their MyLink system in the Stingray. Anyone taking 30 minutes with one of my tutorials should be able to do much more than what you will get from a Garmin and smartphone solution.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy. If you are ditching the idea of the OEM based on only comments from the forum and haven't even been shown the system by someone competent in it's use, you are selling yourself short.
I am sorry I missed your lecture at NCM, I would have liked to have seen your seminar and learned the NAV system first hand. I found out that our 2015 was delivered to the dealer on Friday the 29th. Looking forward to getting our new car soon.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have an iPhone, I personally think it's navigation system sucks. I really like the system in my 2014 Corvette. I did read the book!!! The integration into the HUD is super, I don't understand why people have trouble loading addresses (basically the same with every unit I ever used). I am still learning.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

If you are driving your normal route home, you could consider inputting it as a destination. The advantage to this is that it will then automatically advise about traffic on the route and it gives then an option to view traffic (menu, traffic, view traffic ) along your path and surrounding areas to your route and a shot at a one touch avoid of the traffic. The system's best integration and features come while using it for guidance. I know not everyone thinks this way but that is why I said to toss out the Garmin mindset. If the system knows both where you are and where you are going, it opens so many more features to easy access.
I'd argue that it isn't a "Garmin mindset" so much as a proven industry standard for user friendly interface (GPS industry not auto industry... unfortunately). I get that it works great with a destination, but I don't want to program something in each and every time I jump in the driver's seat. (6 times a day maybe?)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not been answered because the cost has not been established. The map update will be a dealer install because of the size of the database download. It will be copied to a USB stick and transferred to the car. The update will take about an hour.
Good Evening Paul. When I went in to the dealer for my tutorial on the Nav system, the service manager told me that they were going to be dealer installed. However, when Chevrolet customer Service followed up with me on complaint from my satisfaction survey (after the above discussion) she checked with someone in the OnStar/MyLink department, and told me it would be SD/USB update purchased from the GM navigation site, just not on DVD. (See my post summary after this call.) Can you clear this up? My wife's MB had a HD mapset, and it was a 4 hour, (Service tech said ~ $600) update (did the first one free, since out of date when delivered).

I keep checking your site, I am eager to see your presentation from the NCM on the Navigation system from the caravan last weekend. Dealers ought to include your web site with the delivery paper work. Really appreciate the time you put in making the MyLink system work better for those of us having trouble.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD
No I do have signal problems.
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if you have signal problems or not.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
No signal problems for my TomTom and these pics were taken in my garage...
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
A typo. I do not have signal problems.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

It is unfortunate that so many folks are still struggling with OEM navigation systems.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy. If you are ditching the idea of the OEM based on only comments from the forum and haven't even been shown the system by someone competent in it's use, you are selling yourself short.
You can keep trying but I don't think you'll convince some of these guys. I think some of them still have "12:00" flashing on their VCR's.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Ditto here.

EDIT: You guys still promoting a way overpriced substandard NAV system. EVERYTHING (except HUD interface) you can do with your installed NAV, I can do with my voice activated Garmin. Smart phone app included for passenger use as well. Free map updates for life. How much will GM get from you to keep your system up to date ?

Last edited by VatorMan; 09-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

After all this talk I'm now thinking the NAV is a waste of money and effort, and I'm leaning towards ordering a 2LT w/o the NAv just to avoid the 3LT that contains it. And I'll save $$ at the same time.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Interesting thread and yes, the system is clunky and non-intuitive. However, once we figured it out it works satisfactorily and has a lot of nice and yes, useful features. It is not as good as Garmin, however, GM is not a premier GPS company. Usually, my wife and I are traveling in the car together, therefore, the co-pilot is the defacto navigator. We spent the better part of an afternoon with the folks at the NCM and they worked with us on it and it really helped. It is functional, but not a great system, too many screens to go through and the voice feature is not very good. I guess the system was not programmed to speak Southern! We love the 3LT interior and the car, the C7 is not perfect, but it is a great car and a hoot to drive. By far it is the best value high performance sports car available and nothing mechanical or electronic is perfect. We do carry our trusty Garmin Nuvi with us just in case though!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

100% Every time I use it I learn something new. But here's the main thing. I like the way it directs you once you're in the city.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

No idea why OEMs keep offering navigation in cars.

It was stated earlier in the thread. You can EASILY buy a brand new, top-of-the-line Garmin/TomTom every single year for what it costs just to update the system at a dealer every year. That's not even accounting for the HORRENDOUS initial cost of the system. The Garmin will navigate better, be much more responsive, and offer an overall better experience than an integrated system.

Having an integrated system in a car is always going to be slow and look terrible because so much of the system is redundant and is dedicated to keeping it from crashing while communicating with the rest of the car's systems. I've yet to have seen a factory navigation that was worth the asking price. It bugs the crap out of me that OEMs keep offering these laggy, poorly optimized, and buggy systems at abhorrent prices. It bothers me even more that they become automatically equipped in almost any car nowadays when you get above the bottom trim level.

Personally, I use my phone for navigation (Galaxy S4). I've always got it with me, I can charge it in the car, the GPS acquires a signal within 10 seconds, and it's free to use forever because it's Google Maps. The only thing I wish it did was show my speed, but that's minor compared to everything else. I've got a dedicated GPS unit, but I haven't seen a need to use it in a year and a half because the phone's system is just that much better.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Interesting thread and yes, the system is clunky and non-intuitive. However, once we figured it out it works satisfactorily and has a lot of nice and yes, useful features. It is not as good as Garmin, however, GM is not a premier GPS company. Usually, my wife and I are traveling in the car together, therefore, the co-pilot is the defacto navigator. We spent the better part of an afternoon with the folks at the NCM and they worked with us on it and it really helped. It is functional, but not a great system, too many screens to go through and the voice feature is not very good. I guess the system was not programmed to speak Southern! We love the 3LT interior and the car, the C7 is not perfect, but it is a great car and a hoot to drive. By far it is the best value high performance sports car available and nothing mechanical or electronic is perfect. We do carry our trusty Garmin Nuvi with us just in case though!
Well said! I speak Northern and it's not very good at that either.

We also carry a backup unit that's far easier and quicker to get the information out of. Shouldn't have to do that and didn't expect to have to do that with this newly developed (I thought) technology.

I did attend Paul's session at the NCM and it was very good but way too short. Just as a stand alone navigation system, there are far too many counter intuitive things you need to think about just to navigate in the screens. Some of this is covered in the presentation that anyone can download from his site and that was given out at his presentation. It's worthwhile for everyone that has this nav to get it and study it. It helps.

I do think all of the integration features in this unit have caused a clunky interface, kind of like the Windows operating system.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

My Garmin fits great in my cubby, and I can update it FOR FREE using my PC. I can also take it on trips and use it in my rental car. Best of all, it costs $600 less than the factory Nav. It paid for half of my NPP.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Gee, most of the time I hit recent destinations, select and hit go. How can it be easier and faster than that? I normally let the nav presentation in view, literally navigating all the time. Very helpful when a fire or accident blocks the intended route. Updates, once every other year is plenty, roads don't change unless under construction, points of interest change but can be outdated before latest update version is available.

Last edited by Larry/car; 09-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Ditto here.

EDIT: You guys still promoting a way overpriced substandard NAV system. EVERYTHING (except HUD interface) you can do with your installed NAV, I can do with my voice activated Garmin. Smart phone app included for passenger use as well. Free map updates for life. How much will GM get from you to keep your system up to date ?

How do you power the Garmin when it is behind the screen. Mine will not power on from the USB. It thinks it is plugged into a computer.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR

Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
How do you power the Garmin when it is behind the screen. Mine will not power on from the USB. It thinks it is plugged into a computer.
You need one of these. Available in different lengths - they will operate the gps and charge the battery off your cars USB ports.

http://www.gpscity.com/3br-powerspor...-9-inches.html
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 2014 with the NAV. Not a chance in hell I would pay the price they want for the NAV/PDR combo. It was expensive enough to buy the NAV, don't know what they were thinking forcing the two on consumers. If I was buying a 2015 I would just revert to a Garmin for those trips where it is needed. The whole update issue with GM is just bull$hit, no chance I am going to pay for them to do a map update. As someone said you can download a Garmin update for free and watch TV while you do it. I'll revert to my Garmin if need be before I add hundreds to the bill for updates. Who would think for $800 you wouldn't get free maps when you get that on a $150 Garmin !!!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My Garmin is free to use. With the Gm Nav, you have to pay for the service.

Quick Reply: 2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR