Sponsored by:

2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR

As much as I would have liked to have the integrated Navigation on my 2015 order; I sure won't use the PDR and after reading the numerous posts on how bad and tough to work the GM Navi is I will most likely purchase a larger screen Garmin for the dash. My phone is just too hard to read while driving so will need the bigger screen on the Garmin. I just looked them up and wow have the prices come down since my last one back in 2008.
Anyone else choosing the Garmin versus the GM? I can live with the dash mount for the limited trips that I will really need a GPS unit.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

the way to go IMO
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
the way to go IMO
Old 09-01-2014, 03:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have the $1750 factory NAV in my C6 but only use a Garmin to get me places. I would save the money by not ordering the NAV on a C7. Don't know what a map update will cost for the C7, but I can throw away my Garmin, and buy a new one each year for less money than the $200 GM charges for a map update for the C6. But, it's not necessary for me to replace the Garmin every year as it has free map updates every three months.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:50 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I put the Garmin in the cubby behind the screen. Works great.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD

Do you lose the signal having it the compartment? I like the idea.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Another reason I'm glad I got the 2014. Nav for $795 and it works great imo. A C7 with a garmin looks cheesy to me but $1795 for the factory nav sucks too. I really don't understand GM's reasoning with forcing this PDR down people's throats. They should've just made it a $1000 option. I'm sure there's some kind of corporate explanation.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

No I do NOT have signal problems. As far as the looks, when not in use I put the screen up and you do not know it is there. By the way, it is not my idea so I cannot take any credit. There are other threads on the same issue.

Last edited by 5150 BRD; 09-02-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-01-2014, 05:25 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When we ordered our 2014 C7 we ordered it with the Nav system, and that was based on (what later turned out to be totally wrong) what we were told by the salesman that map updates were free and they were automatically pushed to the unit by OnStar. Well when we found out that was not true, we tried to cancel the Nav system but too late - so the dealer removed the Nav system cost from the car.

Well since we got the car and Nav system - had to try it out anyhow - we really like the way it integrates with the HUD, but not happy with much else!

We have now gone back to the TomTom that we had used in our old car - the TomTom is easier to work (I actually prefer viewing it from 'windshield' level vs down lower), free updates etc. So for us the good ol TomTom works BEST and it is much cheaper.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

It is unfortunate that so many folks are still struggling with OEM navigation systems. Kudo's to Garmin for making a system that is intuitive and easy to use but a Garmin suction cupped to the window is so much less featured than the OEM integrated MyLink system.

I love being able to be on a route, do a quick POI search for gas or hotel or restaurants on the route I'm on or at my destination with just a couple of button presses. I love that once I have the hotel or restaurant up on my screen I can have the system dial the associated phone number and while driving there, make a reservation all over the MyLink system.

I love that with my cell phone connected I can use the system to access Siri on my phone and find information, zip codes or phone numbers all over the audio system.

I love the fact that if it is on my cell phone as a contact, address or phone number or email address, I can use my system to access it, navigate to it or call it right from my system, while driving and without having to type on a portable unit. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added meaning I have the most up to date information with me at all times.

While yes, all of this is possible with a portable and a smartphone, I can do all of it alone, while driving with a couple of screen presses or voice commands without having to even take out my cellphone from my holster.

If you are willing to toss out the "Garmin" mindset and invest a minimum amount of time, the rewards and features are so worth the MyLink navigation system. I met with 20 different owners after my seminar at the NCM and left each of them with a renewed sense of confidence and ability with their MyLink system in the Stingray. Anyone taking 30 minutes with one of my tutorials should be able to do much more than what you will get from a Garmin and smartphone solution.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy. If you are ditching the idea of the OEM based on only comments from the forum and haven't even been shown the system by someone competent in it's use, you are selling yourself short.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
It is unfortunate that so many folks are still struggling with OEM navigation systems. Kudo's to Garmin for making a system that is intuitive and easy to use but a Garmin suction cupped to the window is so much less featured than the OEM integrated MyLink system.

I love being able to be on a route, do a quick POI search for gas or hotel or restaurants on the route I'm on or at my destination with just a couple of button presses. I love that once I have the hotel or restaurant up on my screen I can have the system dial the associated phone number and while driving there, make a reservation all over the MyLink system.

I love that with my cell phone connected I can use the system to access Siri on my phone and find information, zip codes or phone numbers all over the audio system.

I love the fact that if it is on my cell phone as a contact, address or phone number or email address, I can use my system to access it, navigate to it or call it right from my system, while driving and without having to type on a portable unit. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added meaning I have the most up to date information with me at all times.

While yes, all of this is possible with a portable and a smartphone, I can do all of it alone, while driving with a couple of screen presses or voice commands without having to even take out my cellphone from my holster.

If you are willing to toss out the "Garmin" mindset and invest a minimum amount of time, the rewards and features are so worth the MyLink navigation system. I met with 20 different owners after my seminar at the NCM and left each of them with a renewed sense of confidence and ability with their MyLink system in the Stingray. Anyone taking 30 minutes with one of my tutorials should be able to do much more than what you will get from a Garmin and smartphone solution.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy. If you are ditching the idea of the OEM based on only comments from the forum and haven't even been shown the system by someone competent in it's use, you are selling yourself short.
The primary reason I am not getting the NAV on my 2015 is the extra $1000 PDR system that I will not use. If not for that I would have purchased the Nav for $795. Moreover for the weekend ride we take I know the routes so really don't have that much need for the OEM or a Garmin but the OEM would have been a cool feature to have.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

These are all fantastic points, I have the factory NAV as well and agree with the benefits of the integration stated above. There are aspects of the system that make me glad I got it (although I still question the price).

BUT: All of the points above address a scenario where the system has a destination inputted or access to information immediately available through a device connected to the system in some way. Where the stock nav needs to improve is in the on-the-fly use of GPS, either by the driver or not. If you just have the map up with no destination the driver's viewing window (with any details) is too small. If you zoom out to a useful distance to see upcoming roads many key details dissappear. Then, if you try to use the (quite slow to respond) touchscreen it will further clutter the screen with a menu. This makes it very hard to use in situation where I didn't have something already programmed in. For example, if I'm driving my normal route home (no need to input a destination) and I want to divert around unexpected traffic I can't just zoom out to see if traffic on side streets is any better. On-the-fly demands like this are something other programs do quite well, especially if you have a copilot to work them. If GM can improve this aspect in the factory system then I think a lot of complainers would be silenced.

Again, I think the system is great for trips and the intergration make life simpler, but when I need info quick, its time for Google Maps.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
These are all fantastic points, I have the factory NAV as well and agree with the benefits of the integration stated above. There are aspects of the system that make me glad I got it (although I still question the price).

BUT: All of the points above address a scenario where the system has a destination inputted or access to information immediately available through a device connected to the system in some way. Where the stock nav needs to improve is in the on-the-fly use of GPS, either by the driver or not. If you just have the map up with no destination the driver's viewing window (with any details) is too small. If you zoom out to a useful distance to see upcoming roads many key details dissappear. Then, if you try to use the (quite slow to respond) touchscreen it will further clutter the screen with a menu. This makes it very hard to use in situation where I didn't have something already programmed in. For example, if I'm driving my normal route home (no need to input a destination) and I want to divert around unexpected traffic I can't just zoom out to see if traffic on side streets is any better. On-the-fly demands like this are something other programs do quite well, especially if you have a copilot to work them. If GM can improve this aspect in the factory system then I think a lot of complainers would be silenced.

Again, I think the system is great for trips and the intergration make life simpler, but when I need info quick, its time for Google Maps.
If you are driving your normal route home, you could consider inputting it as a destination. The advantage to this is that it will then automatically advise about traffic on the route and it gives then an option to view traffic (menu, traffic, view traffic ) along your path and surrounding areas to your route and a shot at a one touch avoid of the traffic. The system's best integration and features come while using it for guidance. I know not everyone thinks this way but that is why I said to toss out the Garmin mindset. If the system knows both where you are and where you are going, it opens so many more features to easy access.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I don't struggle with the factory NAV, I ignore it as I'm not about to pull out a 52 page tutorial just to operate a factory NAV when I can easily operate my Garmin from memory.

Oh, and my Garmin has never been stuck to my windshield, and when the glare makes my factory NAV impossible to see, I just rotate my Garmin on it's mount so that the glare isn't a problem. But then normally that even isn't a problem as my Garmin tells me to turn in "X" number of feet onto "Y" street. I look for the street signs instead of looking at the NAV screen or the arrows on the HUD.

It's been asked before and never answered that I know of, but what is the cost to update the maps on the C7 NAV and how often does GM offer the map updates?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $1700 "Nav" system surprised me as well. I don't need the PDR. I don't know what GM was thinking "Everyone will track their cars?"

For $795 maybe. For $1700 Not a chance. The PDR would make a great dash Cam but even then the after market solutions are better, IMO The Garmin looks like it fits nicely behind the screen and they are getting bigger.

Plus I like to be able to use my Nav on the fly. Voice implementation is wonky at best

PLUS Google Now knows where I am going and gives me traffic reports and WAZE actual incident reports

Last edited by Tbong; 09-01-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't struggle with the factory NAV, I ignore it as I'm not about to pull out a 52 page tutorial just to operate a factory NAV when I can easily operate my Garmin from memory.

Oh, and my Garmin has never been stuck to my windshield, and when the glare makes my factory NAV impossible to see, I just rotate my Garmin on it's mount so that the glare isn't a problem. But then normally that even isn't a problem as my Garmin tells me to turn in "X" number of feet onto "Y" street. I look for the street signs instead of looking at the NAV screen or the arrows on the HUD.

It's been asked before and never answered that I know of, but what is the cost to update the maps on the C7 NAV and how often does GM offer the map updates?
It's not been answered because the cost has not been established. The map update will be a dealer install because of the size of the database download. It will be copied to a USB stick and transferred to the car. The update will take about an hour.

The map updates will be released for 2014 around the third week of September and they will be released one per year...roughly on the same schedule as the C6 system used to receive new DVD's.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD

Same here!

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR

Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updates will be one hour of labor??????? not to mention the SW
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not been answered because the cost has not been established. The map update will be a dealer install because of the size of the database download. It will be copied to a USB stick and transferred to the car. The update will take about an hour.

The map updates will be released for 2014 around the third week of September and they will be released one per year...roughly on the same schedule as the C6 system used to receive new DVD's.
As a technical person who works in IT, I feel like GM dropped the ball here. You should not have to take your car into a dealership to update the navigation database and it shouldn't take an hour. That is either really poor optimization or GM looking to grab a chunk of money on owners who really rely upon having up-to-date maps.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Thanks for the info, but I would rather update my Garmin at home while I'm watching a rerun of Gunsmoke. Seems very old fashion to have to go to the dealer for a couple of hours when I can do the same thing at home with a Garmin, for free. I just plug my Garmin into my USB port and then I do something else(vs of reading a year old copy of People magazine while sitting in an uncomfortable plastic chair at my dealer) while it's downloading the newest maps.

Quick Reply: 2015 Garmin versus GM Navi/PDR