Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Performance Data Recorder Destined to be a Hit

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New C7 Performance Data Recorder Destined to be a Hit

Hang on because to get a better feel of that new Performance Data Recorder available in the 2015 Corvette, Chevy has put together a video that shows exactly what the new high-tech feature is capable of.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Does anyone on CF know if this data recorder can be added to existing 2014 Corvettes? Thanks ahead if time for all replies.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AttyVette
Does anyone on CF know if this data recorder can be added to existing 2014 Corvettes? Thanks ahead if time for all replies.
Nope.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The PDR is being forced on customers who want navigation. How many want/will use it? No question of the value for track competition. I will use it only because I paid $1,000, how/what for is a mystery.

Last edited by Larry/car; 09-02-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by AttyVette
The PDR in it's existing incarnation can't be (easily) added to a 2014. Too many changes to hardware, software and wiring for a retrofit.

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The PDR is being forced on customers who want navigation. How many want/will use it? No question of the value for track completion. I will use it only because I paid $1,000, how/what for is a mystery.
Ever done a parade? Caravan? Pulling in to the fun field in Carlisle? Lots of ways outside of the track that you can use this. Favorite twisty road that you love to cruise on, record the drive. Turning it on is only a couple of screen presses away. I'd say use it for all the same reasons that people (like me) put a GoPro on the windshield. I've recorded more than a few rides in the country and the track events that I've participated in.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The PDR is pretty cool, but I wonder how quickly the novelty will fade for those that do not track their car. Sure, it's great to record a drive along a twisty road or what have you, but how many people will want to watch you drive along a twisty road. Probably after the first airing...just yourself. Not against it, just wonder if I had it how much I'd actually use it. If I tracked it....to me it would be a must have if available.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know some have complaned that the PDR added $1000 to the Nav. the truth is I wish they would have offered a cheep Nav. for those guys. However I'm glad I have the PDR in my Car. It's just so COOL.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 PM
richelu
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The PDR in it's existing incarnation can't be (easily) added to a 2014. Too many changes to hardware, software and wiring for a retrofit.

Ever done a parade? Caravan? Pulling in to the fun field in Carlisle? Lots of ways outside of the track that you can use this. Favorite twisty road that you love to cruise on, record the drive. Turning it on is only a couple of screen presses away. I'd say use it for all the same reasons that people (like me) put a GoPro on the windshield. I've recorded more than a few rides in the country and the track events that I've participated in.

The Valet feature is also a useful add that the PDR includes.
Especially after seeing this.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

"will help you keep tabs on that valet driver who might be inclined to take your baby for joyride"

HAHAHA...oh man, that was a good one. To think I'd let just ANYONE drive my C7, much less let some slack-jawed idiot teenager valet get anywhere close to the driver's seat. Hahaha, that's rich.

F*CKING NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Just a shame they had to tie it into the NAV feature. Can you imagine GO PRO forcing you to pay more than twice the price because you have to take a NAV with it. No way to separate the two, pretty evident why they wouldn't do that. Both have their use, trouble is their is no overlap, there is no synergy between the NAV and the PDR excepting the techies couldn't figure out how to separate them. It makes little sense from a consumer point of view. I wouldn't have bothered ordering the NAV that I currently have if forced to take the PDR, cool or not.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Just a shame they had to tie it into the NAV feature. Can you imagine GO PRO forcing you to pay more than twice the price because you have to take a NAV with it. No way to separate the two, pretty evident why they wouldn't do that. Both have their use, trouble is their is no overlap, there is no synergy between the NAV and the PDR excepting the techies couldn't figure out how to separate them. It makes little sense from a consumer point of view. I wouldn't have bothered ordering the NAV that I currently have if forced to take the PDR, cool or not.
Just remember the C6s DENSO Nav was $1,700 in the last 6 years of manufacture, the C7 Nav alone puts it to shame and they are throwing in the PDR = I think it a great deal.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,347 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
The PDR is pretty cool, but I wonder how quickly the novelty will fade for those that do not track their car. Sure, it's great to record a drive along a twisty road or what have you, but how many people will want to watch you drive along a twisty road. Probably after the first airing...just yourself. Not against it, just wonder if I had it how much I'd actually use it. If I tracked it....to me it would be a must have if available.
if it works the way I am thinking it does, I'd use it every time I drove the car in case someone hit me or something...
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Just a shame they had to tie it into the NAV feature. I / wouldn't have bothered ordering the NAV that I currently have if forced to take the PDR, cool or not.
I bet any $70K Corvette with out Nav and 2015 with Nav/PDR will take a big hit on resale.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Originally Posted by DCBE
Just remember the C6s DENSO Nav was $1,700 in the last 6 years of manufacture, the C7 Nav alone puts it to shame and they are throwing in the PDR = I think it a great deal.
Yup , well technology has come a long way, it's all relative, you could pay $500+ for a Garmin back then as well. Now you buy them for $150 and get a lifetime supply of maps. The PDR well that is clearly a choice for some (or should I say should be a choice) that would find it's utility worth the extra grand. Maybe some don't want the NAV and find thats not worth the money. If you want it buy it, but a whole lot of consumers prefer choice no matter how much money they have to spend on a sports car.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Originally Posted by FCCCVPMan
I bet any $70K Corvette with out Nav and 2015 with Nav/PDR will take a big hit on resale.
Maybe as much as $2k
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM
richelu
Pro

Originally Posted by King Richard
"will help you keep tabs on that valet driver who might be inclined to take your baby for joyride"

HAHAHA...oh man, that was a good one. To think I'd let just ANYONE drive my C7, much less let some slack-jawed idiot teenager valet get anywhere close to the driver's seat. Hahaha, that's rich.

F*CKING NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
The best was when they went to home depot and loaded the board into the car.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
richelu
Pro

Originally Posted by DCBE

Can't help but wonder if Chevy should have just charged $1500 for the Navigation system in the '14 MY (cheaper than the C6 as you pointed out).
Then the $1795 would not be such a sticker shock and less people would be complaining about the PDR since it would just be perceived as costing $295.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Performance Data Recorder Destined to be a Hit

Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm biting the $1K PDR bullet to get the navigation. Honestly, I'll probably never even access it.

Not a track guy nor do I plan to re-watch a drive I just made. May be of some use if you happen to be recording and are involved in an accident (to affix blame).

I see it as a novelty and a way GM could squeeze a bit more money out of their cars by combo-ing the navigation with something most won't use.

I'm sure it's great for the racer types that run on the track or autocross, but for us pleasure drivers, it's superfluous with a big price tag.

Smart from the GM "bottom line" stand point for sure.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 09-03-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Haven't read the book on it yet, but I bought a 128 gb high speed SD card for the PDR and it won't recognize it. Works just fine with a 16 gb card though - is there a max storage amount?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Haven't read the book on it yet, but I bought a 128 gb high speed SD card for the PDR and it won't recognize it. Works just fine with a 16 gb card though - is there a max storage amount?
I have a question about the PDR.. Is there a ghost image around the top right and left corners?

I talked to the person that was incharge of the design.

I have been told by the Salesman that he used a 32gb class 10 sd card for his youtube video. (Not Micro)

Last edited by MY70THAnv; 09-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C7 Performance Data Recorder Destined to be a Hit