Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch for bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
I understand your comment and you do have a point but the C7 seems a supremely poor choice for a moving bike rack. Never designed for such. People have asked about trailers despite the owner’s manual specifically saying don’t do it. Don
People do a LOT of things that the owner's manual specifically says not to. Many thousands of Corvettes have successfully towed trailers for decades, owner's manual notwithstanding. A bike rack isn't a trailer anyway.

Some of us would much rather drive our Corvettes than anything else, or don't want to (or can't possibly afford to) buy a gas-guzzling no-fun SMAV (soccer mom assault vehicle) JUST TO CARRY ONE BICYCLE and a small bag of cycling kit. So we choose to make the machine serve and accommodate the human, not the other way around.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
The OP wasn't asking anyone their opinion about whether or not they would carry a bike around with their Vette. There are, in fact, people who do use their Vettes as everyday drivers and don't worship them like some love object. Many own ONLY the Vette as their prime vehicle and MUST use it for practical purposes.

Give them a break.

He was asking for information. Not opinions or smart-a** responses.

I'm sure he appreciates your help.
The OP specifically indicated that he was looking for a hitch solution for his bike. Per the owner manual, this is not recommended as the car is NOT designed for such an attachment. The "less than useful" comments were probably an indirect way to clue the OP in, that this was a bad idea. Fortunately, others have posted alternative ways to carry a bike.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Seriously, some one will find a way to mount a hitch on the C7. The four central exhaust outlets are a barrier, but a good welder could figure out a way--probably with a flat plate coming over or under them--to get a hitch receiver mounted and then connected to the frame under the car.

Not having a hitch option is kinda silly and a bad marketing idea if you're hoping to get younger buyers who own bikes into C7s, sort of like not allowing smart phone nav to interface with the car's display. Most old guys don't really care about such items, but old guys aren't going to be buying Corvettes for the next half century. Young ones might.

My wife's new (2014) Jeep Cherokee can mount several aftermarket hitches, including Curt and U-Haul's hitches, but the really great item comes from Chrysler, a new bumper beam with receiver that bolts up in place of the original bumper beam (only four bolts, I think), and a fascia piece that makes the whole installation look very slick. The setup also includes a mounting for trailer lighting and a wiring harness. It's part of a factory towing option package but also can be added after sale, and so popular that it's been back ordered on and off since the Cherokee appeared.

Why didn't GM do something similar? C7 is a premium item and should include premium level accessories.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rudolph schenker
The OP specifically indicated that he was looking for a hitch solution for his bike. Per the owner manual, this is not recommended as the car is NOT designed for such an attachment. The "less than useful" comments were probably an indirect way to clue the OP in, that this was a bad idea. Fortunately, others have posted alternative ways to carry a bike.
Also included in the manual, "Do not repeatedly brake or accelerate heavily when the TCS is off. The vehicle driveline could be damaged." I'm betting folks don't follow that owner's manual recommendation either.

If you don't ride, you probably don't know that even a fully suspended mountain bike weighs less than 30 pounds. At least mine does. Road bikes weigh much less. Two set of golf clubs weighs more. Even the aero loading from the Z06 spoiler will put more load on the car than a bike.

It's not that big of a deal. I have an SUV that I use with my bike platform carrier. But good for the OP for actually driving and using his car as an actual car. Some folks think these cars are priceless, irreplaceable works of art that can't be put at risk. They're not.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AustinVettes
Also included in the manual, "Do not repeatedly brake or accelerate heavily when the TCS is off. The vehicle driveline could be damaged." I'm betting folks don't follow that owner's manual recommendation either.

If you don't ride, you probably don't know that even a fully suspended mountain bike weighs less than 30 pounds. At least mine does. Road bikes weigh much less. Two set of golf clubs weighs more. Even the aero loading from the Z06 spoiler will put more load on the car than a bike.

It's not that big of a deal. I have an SUV that I use with my bike platform carrier. But good for the OP for actually driving and using his car as an actual car. Some folks think these cars are priceless, irreplaceable works of art that can't be put at risk. They're not.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Correct - the avid cyclists have no problem fitting in the seats and find the interior roomy.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mksz51
Correct - the avid cyclists have no problem fitting in the seats and find the interior roomy.
True that. When I was a cyclist I was 5' 11" and 163 lbs with most of the weight in my legs. Current weight: "somewhat more."
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
True that. When I was a cyclist I was 5' 11" and 163 lbs with most of the weight in my legs. Current weight: "somewhat more."
Somewhat more weight for most of us as we get older
Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Actually they can be........

http://www.supercars.net/cars/349.html
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Anyone found a nice 5th wheel camper I can hitch to my Vette?
I'm sure a good fabricator could come up with a hitch for this on your C7:

Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Why do people care what he does with HIS car? How does it affect you in any way? I don't get it. Why do people feel the need to be unhelpful.

Pat, I think the biggest difficulty is the center mounted exhaust getting in the way of a hitch that is high enough to be useful. If you are using a platform style hitch and not a goose neck, it's going to be difficult just because of geometry. The solutions for other center exhaust cars like the Focus ST have similar issues with height.

The suction cups may be the way to go.
it's OP's car so ...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by taxman73
Save yourself the hassle and get a suction cup type bike rack:

Huh. I never such a thing existed. Can you recommend one? What brand is that one shown in your picture?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My lawn service has a C7 and tows his lawnmower stuff. LOL!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 PM
pegleg2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an idea

I know and understand that it is sac religious for many to fathom the idea of a trailer hitch on a C7 but as previous postings say….it’s your car. For someone more ambitious and engineering savvy than I, maybe entertain this idea ….
What if you could make a hinge-able license plate holder that folds down to reveal a square hole through the bumper where a receiver type of hitch is exposed. I’ve seen pictures of the body cutaway of the C7 and noticed a horizontal square tube that sits directly behind the bumper…..maybe the hitch could be attached to this? Obviously there would have to be some pretty detailed calculations to determine the strength of this member but it may be strong enough to hold a bicycle rack or tow a small trailer like those pulled by motorcycles.

And yes....even a lawnmower
Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There is no reason a light trailer /bike rack...can not be used with a C7. The trick is coming up with a mechanically/cosmetically acceptable solution. The 4 exhaust tips in the center do not help. Your idea of a folding license plate is a good one.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

My wife's SUV has a trailer hitch for our Yakima bike rack which holds up to 4 bikes. She just throws her own bike in the SUV w/out the hitch if just her own bike.

Although I wouldn't put a hitch on my C7, I did do a quick search at Uhaul.com & here's what it says for C7:

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements.

If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Need a trailer hitch, but can't come to Tempe, AZ for a fabrication?

Please complete the form below, we'll contact you with trailer hitch options for your vehicle....

I'm not coming to Tempe AZ anytime soon. well, maybe only for super bowl...
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the Seasuckers as detailed in an earlier thread. Work great, stick anywhere, no damage.
If you have a Corvette and cycle - nothin better I know of.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer hitch for bike rack

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default i hope by this spring

Originally Posted by patnolan
Has anyone found one?
like yourself im waiting for a hitch, i plan on hauling a6's around, i will never forget back in 1990 when i was at my first NCCC event and seen all the new vettes pulling their tires there. a week later so was i. i would think u-haul will be first( they have one for the 2013 back to at least the c4 that i know of).i have used a truck and trailer now and then over the years but you are still swapping out tires every week to drive on the street. also trailer hitch will not be used for hanging a sack of nuts on or a propeller spinning in the wind!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:17 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

i called uhaul yesterday, customer service in arizona, they told me they have them. $260 in stalled. they were going to ship it to the local uhaul but i still have to see one first. if someone can find a picture please post it!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
The OP wasn't asking anyone their opinion about whether or not they would carry a bike around with their Vette. There are, in fact, people who do use their Vettes as everyday drivers and don't worship them like some love object. Many own ONLY the Vette as their prime vehicle and MUST use it for practical purposes.

Give them a break.

He was asking for information. Not opinions or smart-a** responses.

I'm sure he appreciates your help.
Here are some thoughts. Had the same issue with my ’08 C6, no hitch available because of demand so designed and fabricated my own! Good for pulling a light trailer with Track Day wheels, tires and some tools. They finally were made commercially but even now, not sure for NPP for some reason! This design won’t fit the C7 but no reason the car can’t accept a hitch. Four pics below show why some of the issues raised, re welding and fastening can be done. The exact design to fit the C7 would have to be defined, maybe with a removable receiver to provide more clearance when not in use.
First issue, welding on aluminum. The C7 frame is welded and the GM Z06 frame repair requires welding! Second attaching a hitch to a frame is cleverly done by hitch manufacturers only requiring drilling a hole! I copied the approach, a square hole in a bar and a carriage bolt that slips in a drilled hole and locks in the square hole to stop the bolt from turning!

Can Weld Aluminum Frame

Only Need to Drill Hole in Frame

Simple Hitch I made for C6 with NPP For Small Trailer for Track Days

Finished C6 Receiver and Covered When Not in Use

Last edited by JerryU; 11-01-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for bike rack