Sponsored by:

Lag Time for the New 8 Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Default Lag Time for the New 8 Speed Automatic

For those with the new 8 speed automatic please report on the lag time between executing a paddle shift and the actual shift taking place under as many driving conditions as possible.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe there are two distinct issues/measurements. One is the actually amount of time it takes the transmission to execute a shift. That has been improved and the second is the time from when the driver initiates a manual shift via the paddle and when the transmission responds. I haven't heard if that "lag" has been reduced.

Now the question I have is how are those time's actually measured and what are the goal's/standards to beat? I mean empirical data.

That's how I understand it.

Tom
Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Formula52
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Let's keep this simple: You hit the paddle, how long does it take for the transmission to respond with a shift.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, how does this compare to the DCT in BMWs for example? My car is extremely quick with instantaneous responsiveness. When I touch the paddles, there is no lag at all.

I'm never getting the A8, but I'm just curious.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Let's keep this simple: You hit the paddle, how long does it take for the transmission to respond with a shift.
Tom asked a good question though. Once the shift is initiated, either by the driver via paddle or by the computer, the activity of the transmission itself should be exactly the same. The difference is whether there is a lag introduced by pressing the paddle and the extent to which that is influenced by the driver' decision to shift at a different point than the computer would have chosen.

There would clearly be a significant delay in multiple gear shifts. The computer could downshift 8 to 4 in one step, where a human would have to hit the paddle four times.

Last edited by CaryBob; 09-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Tom asked a good question though. Once the shift is initiated, either by the driver via paddle or by the computer, the activity of the transmission itself should be exactly the same. The difference is whether there is a lag introduced by pressing the paddle and the extent to which that is influenced by the driver' decision to shift at a different point than the computer would have chosen.

There would clearly be a significant delay in multiple gear shifts. The computer could downshift 8 to 4 in one step, where a human would have to hit the paddle four times.
You make a good point on the computer making the down shifts. On up shifts I assume GM is using the computer shift times when stating they are 8/100th faster than a DCT. As far as up shifts with the paddles we have to wait for results to be posted by forum members. However, members on the fast list have stated they let the computer shift in the 1/4 so the open question would be on a road course.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:21 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

According to Tadge and many others there are multiple computer maps for this transmission so when doing these tests it's likely the responsiveness will be relative. For example, if you are cruising it's quite likely the shift will be somewhat slower and softer, by design. In sport / competition mode the shifts should be quicker and more positive. Just take this into account.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

And this is what's relevant. Super fast shifts are useless if it takes forever from the time you request the shift until it is actually executed. Unless you're drag raining in which case you should have a Hellcat anyway.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Anymore input?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
According to Tadge and many others there are multiple computer maps for this transmission so when doing these tests it's likely the responsiveness will be relative. For example, if you are cruising it's quite likely the shift will be somewhat slower and softer, by design. In sport / competition mode the shifts should be quicker and more positive. Just take this into account.
and also there is a BIG difference in the quickness and sharpness of the shift relative to the amount of throttle.
The more throttle, the faster it shifts.
With my 09 Coupe with the A6, anything close to 1/2 throttle it shifts without any perceptible delay or lag.
Anything close to full throttle and it shifts instantly,... with or without using paddles.
The A8 should be noticeably better once it breaks in
Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of empirical evidence is obtained by data consisting of individuals’ perception of speed of an automatic mechanism timed (How?) by each person’s judgment of when the mechanism executed its mechanical function. What measuring device is used other than the subjective feeling of the person providing his/her data. What then the use of the data as compared to the manufacturer’s already existing data - assumedly, I admit - obtained by an objective, scientific and accurate timing device.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I've always had manual transmissions in sports cars and expected to order the same in the C7. I test drove the M7, which was great with the rev matching.

Then drove the A8 in Sport Mode in various scenarios. My perception was it shifted up & down instantaneously with the paddles and faster than a manual. I have a 2010 CTS with the A6. That transmission sucks as far as manual mode shift responsiveness but I ordered the A8 in my C7 as it is pretty awesome either paddle shifting or letting it run itself.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Oh jeez. The A8 paddle shift is nothing like a DCT, anyone hoping for that will be disappointed. If you have had seat time in any car with the ZF 8 speed thats in the Jaguar F-Type then you already have a feel for it. Basically you hit the paddle and it takes about 1 full second for the shift to occur. So if paddle shifting is your thing stay away from the Autos in the C7 because you arent gonna paddle shift this thing around a race track.

As for computer managed auto shifting the A8 is phenomenal. You wont find another auto quite like this. The upshifts and down shifts when performance shift mode is active are downright hilarious and are as fast or faster than the almighty PDK. The shift logic is also amazing, I havent tracked mine yet but just doing some aggressive road driving has yielded some impressive experiences where I was left giggling like a school girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

So if you want to paffle shift, buy a Porsche. If you want the best performance auto, buy the C7.

Paddle shifting the auto is for when you want to cruise around at 5000 rpm with the NPP wide open to annoy the general public.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Oh jeez. The A8 paddle shift is nothing like a DCT, anyone hoping for that will be disappointed. If you have had seat time in any car with the ZF 8 speed thats in the Jaguar F-Type then you already have a feel for it. Basically you hit the paddle and it takes about 1 full second for the shift to occur. So if paddle shifting is your thing stay away from the Autos in the C7 because you arent gonna paddle shift this thing around a race track.

As for computer managed auto shifting the A8 is phenomenal. You wont find another auto quite like this. The upshifts and down shifts when performance shift mode is active are downright hilarious and are as fast or faster than the almighty PDK. The shift logic is also amazing, I havent tracked mine yet but just doing some aggressive road driving has yielded some impressive experiences where I was left giggling like a school girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

So if you want to paffle shift, buy a Porsche. If you want the best performance auto, buy the C7.

Paddle shifting the auto is for when you want to cruise around at 5000 rpm with the NPP wide open to annoy the general public.

In 1500 miles I'm in manual mode 99 percent of the time....the more throttle the quicker it shifts. Now that is has miles there is no delay unless you let of the throttle then there is a slight delay.

I don't see using "D" very often at all....I've been in a manual car since 2001 except for three months back in 2011...well now four months.

The 8 speed is very impressive so far. I've held my breath thinking I was gonna hate it.. Not so as of yet. With 5 gears before 1 to 1 final drive ratio it is always in a "good" gear to snap your neck. I'm liking it so much I can't stay out of the car lol...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 12-29-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I drove an A8 and found the shifting to be instantaneous. Very smooth, very quick.

Get notified of new replies

To Lag Time for the New 8 Speed Automatic

Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 AM
and12e
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people say shifts are smooth and instantaneous others say there is lag. I think people are talking about two different things, which were cleared up in one of the above posts.

When paddle shifting the a8, there is significant lag between what your finger does and when the transmission shifts. Not a very enjoyable experience in the sense it leaves you unsatisfied.

In regular auto mode the shifts are great, they're nice and brisk.

Last edited by and12e; 12-30-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by and12e
Some people say shifts are smooth and instantaneous others say there is lag. I think people are talking about two different things, which were cleared up in one of the above posts.

When paddle shifting the a8, there is significant lag between what your finger does and when the transmission shifts. Not a very enjoyable experience in the sense it leaves you unsatisfied.

In regular auto mode the shifts are great, they're nice and brisk.
No, there isn't any lag...It has shifted before the number changes on the display...It changes before you release the paddle...It does NOT shift before you engage it though If you are in the throttle is shifts exactly like no lift shifting only faster...

The "sense" it leaves you with is... dammit man this thing hauls ***...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Also, how does this compare to the DCT in BMWs for example? My car is extremely quick with instantaneous responsiveness. When I touch the paddles, there is no lag at all.
I don't know how the beamer shifts, nor do I have any desire to drive one.

When I finally get the car to the track, I will let the computer do the shifting.

When people try to paddle shift and are 'on the edge', they may hit the paddle a couple of hundred rpms before hitting red line, and if they're too late, the car will hit the rev limiter.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 12-30-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Lag Time for the New 8 Speed Automatic