Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Too bad they didn't use the system from the Chevy Spark that allows you to link to your smartphone or tablet to display its navigation app on the dashboard.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

anytime you see that red x something is off .rember there are alot of RF sig's in the fob and these cars. you might try onstar again . and have them stay on the phone with you .
i have the same sun and my nav, on my 14 is fine even sent a planed trip to the nav using the onstar app. on my phone .must be some bug.
hope it works out . enjoy the car

Last edited by lastcowboy; 09-20-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My 2014 has the same red x Dealer looked at it and said module in dash needs to be tested,dash needs to come apart to reach it. Said he's done 3 already.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by XEUROTRASHOWNER
My 2014 has the same red x Dealer looked at it and said module in dash needs to be tested,dash needs to come apart to reach it. Said he's done 3 already.
Yup.

I was disappointed.

Mine should be here this week.

I managed to get a transparent top at cost though.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Thespian
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes. I took the car to the dealer yesterday. The service manager got on the phone with Chevy engineers and was told there is an issue with the way the wire for the PDR camera is routed. They are planning to issue a TSB. The routing and tight space causes a crimp. They had to remove the mirror, trim, etc. to get at the wiring. Once they disconnected the PDR camera, the GPS signal returned. Chevrolet is sending a new camera (supposedly with a longer wire) so they can install it and re-route it eliminating the crimping situation. After they reinstalled everything (with some additional wire shielding) it seems to work better although still not consistently. They are going to call me when the camera comes in... hopefully next week. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by Thespian; 09-20-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dysfunctional GPS

This is why I did not order Nav. in my new Z06 order. From now on I use my trusty Garmin. My wife's new Mercedes same issue-3x to the dealer-still not dependable-still no trust as it has deserted me in some situations. When it is working it has nice voice ,directions are to the point, graphics are very nice. Had the dash on her car taken apart by tech.,now the rattles have appeared with the working of a half assed expensive GPS which works when it wants. Solar flares have not affected my Garmin or for what ever reason the questionably erratic functioning unit in the MB. Have flown daily for the last week with no erratic functioning of the 2 Garmin units in the plane, no bulletins issued as to malfunctioning GPS due increased solar activity.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone hear anything back on this? I plan on taking it to the dealer regardless but am curious if any resolutions had come up.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Thespian
Pro

Originally Posted by Algiers
Did anyone hear anything back on this? I plan on taking it to the dealer regardless but am curious if any resolutions had come up.
I have an appointment this morning to take mine in to the dealer to replace the PDR camera. Pretty much what I said above... The service manager was on the phone last week with engineers at Bowling Green. They said a TSB will likely be issued on this because the wire coming out of the camera needs to be re-routed to avoid a "kink" that is occurring causing the GPS signal disruption. Supposedly the new camera will have a longer wire.

I should know in a few hours if it works and I'll report back.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Man thats a dissapointment to hear. Glad they lnow whats wrong. Guess there will be alot of 2015's having their dashes ripped apart
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (04-20-2023)
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Electrons are so small you'd think it would take more than a kink to slow them down.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM
LGVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my car Tuesday (Sept.30).
I have the same problem-red X over the GPS icon. The Nav works somewhat. I don't know where it gets the information from but it directed me home.
Chevy Cust. Service said they have not heard of the problem. They say to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I do not want my dash torn apart by the service dept looking for something wrong when they don't even know what they are looking for.
I will wait until this service bulletin comes out and go from there. If I knew where this crimped wire is located I would try to fix it myself as long as I didn't have to tear the dash apart.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Same issue here. Drove from BGK to St Louis on Monday and the GPS was in and out. It was a clear beautiful day.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Thespian
Pro

Default Problem solved!!!

Well I am happy to report that the problem is solved!

The Navigation screen is now dead on and fortunately it did not involve taking apart the dashboard... only the rearview mirror and header trim pieces had to come off so they could access the PDR camera. GM sent a replacement camera with a new wire and the engineers recommended rerouting the wire to avoid future crimping and loss of GPS signal. The engineers also told my dealer they have been getting lots of calls on this problem. I would imagine a TSB should be issued on this if it hasn't been already. They actually called the parts department to see if they needed the camera showing in their inventory this week... mine!

Hopefully they have addressed it for cars now being produced but those with early 2015s may have to replace the camera (if the wire is crimped) and reroute the wire.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 AM
LGVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thespian

The Navigation screen is now dead on and fortunately it did not involve taking apart the dashboard... only the rearview mirror and header trim pieces had to come off so they could access the PDR camera. GM sent a replacement camera with a new wire and the engineers recommended rerouting the wire to avoid future crimping and loss of GPS signal. The engineers also told my dealer they have been getting lots of calls on this problem. I would imagine a TSB should be issued on this if it hasn't been already. They actually called the parts department to see if they needed the camera showing in their inventory this week... mine!

Hopefully they have addressed it for cars now being produced but those with early 2015s may have to replace the camera (if the wire is crimped) and reroute the wire.
That is good news. I have to think that taking the dash apart would be a nightmare.
When you had the problem, did your PDR work?
My PDR works it is just the GPS that seems to be the issue.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Thespian
Pro

Originally Posted by LGVette
That is good news. I have to think that taking the dash apart would be a nightmare.
When you had the problem, did your PDR work?
My PDR works it is just the GPS that seems to be the issue.
Yes... the PDR did work even without the GPS signal. If I were in track mode and showing my car's position on the track, I imagine that would not have been accurate but I did not try that.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Ha. The nav in my 2014 works great... Is this the time to say "Never buy the second year of a new model."? :
Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Thespian
Pro

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Ha. The nav in my 2014 works great... Is this the time to say "Never buy the second year of a new model."? :
No. It was worth the wait for me. To each his own.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. I'll call my service guys today and get something set up. Maybe they can order the camera in advance to reduce my wait time.

Also here's a pic of my nav screen where my car is apparently driving in the Pacific Ocean. At least it provides some entertainment value since there's no naviagation assistance.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Thespian
Pro

Originally Posted by Algiers
Thanks for the update. I'll call my service guys today and get something set up. Maybe they can order the camera in advance to reduce my wait time.

Also here's a pic of my nav screen where my car is apparently driving in the Pacific Ocean. At least it provides some entertainment value since there's no naviagation assistance.
I'm glad it's fixed now but I agree that there was some entertainment value in it... I spend some time in reservoirs, rivers, lakes and on an airport runway! LOL
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

I'm glad it's fixed now but I agree that there was some entertainment value in it... I spend some time in reservoirs, rivers, lakes and on an airport runway! LOL
An airport runway would actually show some promise... so long as it was not in use at the time, of course...

Quick Reply: 2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(