Sponsored by:

2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Sad, but this is how I run my C7... at least until GM gets my Red X issue fixed...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Fatcatrc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok everyone, I have red x and no gps signal since delivery. My system also did not see SD card for the PDR. Took it in yesterday and here is the result.

I was stupid and should have read the instructions and placed the SD card in the glove box slot instead of the console slot. This fixed the PDR. They then reset the whole GPS system and got it to only use the PDR signal. GPS works great and fast. However the red x is still there even when system works great.

This did not involve any dash or rear view mirror removal.

I am very happy and hope you all get fixed!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The NAV system seems to be such a problem as to make me wait a couple of months to order a C7. I know lots of C7s are out the door with no problems, but there are just too many with the NAV problem to make me comfortable. I'll wait until GM solves this issue. Sad, but that's the way it is.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

The dealer replaced my entire infotainment unit with no luck.

Allegedly working with Detroit to find a fix.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Well, this is getting more painful. Went out to explore the Nashville area and could not rely on the GPS because it kept losing signal. Everything that makes an integrated GPS helpful is worthless right now.
Picked my car up on Friday at NCM and drove back to Nashville - worked the whole way. Drove the Natchez Trace Parkway on Saturday from Nashville into Mississippi. It stopped working on the way home - on / off - mostly off the whole way.

Today, cant seem to find me on Cool Springs or even I-65 in Franklin at all - it's mostly the "RED X" 80% of the time now.

Need to take it to the dealer. OnStar told me to 'reboot' the system or go where signal exists...um, right. A garmin, an andriod phone, and an iPhone were all showing Nav without issue while the dash nav was worthless. Did I mention the 4g rolling wifi works great?

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 10-21-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Picked my car up on Friday at NCM and drove back to Nashville - worked the whole way. Drove the Natchez Trace Parkway on Saturday from Nashville into Mississippi. It stopped working on the way home - on / off - mostly off the whole way.

Today, cant seem to find me on Cool Springs or even I-65 in Franklin at all - it's mostly the "RED X" 80% of the time now.

Need to take it to the dealer. OnStar told me to 'reboot' the system or go where signal exists...um, right. A garmin, an andriod phone, and an iPhone were all showing Nav without issue while the dash nav was worthless. Did I mention the 4g rolling wifi works great?
I'm curious what your VIN is. Mine is 01295 and I have this problem. I assumed they would be catching these before they get out by now.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
I'm curious what your VIN is. Mine is 01295 and I have this problem. I assumed they would be catching these before they get out by now.
7437 so it hasn't been fixed yet.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 PM
petethib8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is in the shop right now for the same issue. I was told it is either a kink, cut damaged chord, or an antenna issue behind the rear bumper. I was there when the tech plugged the computer into the car and he stated "it was guessing" at the location. Unfortunately I am out of town on buisness for three weeks and told them no hurry. When I find out the exact issue I will post here.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 PM
BoltsFan
Heel & Toe

Default Mine is fixed; no more red X on the GPS

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the same issue with the red X on the GPS (no signal). I took it to the dealership and they put metalic shielding around the wires in the mirror unit. This helped; the system tracked properly but the red X would still appear. On the second trip to the dealership they removed the shielding then split, insulated and re-routed the wires in the mirror. The service manager said that the GM tech send them a photo with exactly what to do. This seems to have done the trick for me. I haven't lost signal in three days of driving around town. (Well, I actually lost signal once when I stopped at a traffic light under a 6 lane overpass but I think that's understandable. The signal returned immediately after I moved out from underneath it.) So, I am ready to declare it fixed.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

BoltsFan sounds like you've got it, congrats! Hopefully my service department gets the same info form GM, that your service department did. I'll bet the re-wiring fix is already taking place on the assembly line.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Does sound promising, but I'm going to wait just a little longer before getting it fixed. I don't have any more trips planned so the "damage" has already been done.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatcatrc
Ok everyone, I have red x and no gps signal since delivery. My system also did not see SD card for the PDR. Took it in yesterday and here is the result.

I was stupid and should have read the instructions and placed the SD card in the glove box slot instead of the console slot. This fixed the PDR. They then reset the whole GPS system and got it to only use the PDR signal. GPS works great and fast. However the red x is still there even when system works great.

This did not involve any dash or rear view mirror removal.

I am very happy and hope you all get fixed!
If you are still getting a red X then the issue has NOT been resolved. The car is getting intermittent signal. You ask why it works? Your car is using the speed sense wire and the steering angle to "guess" as to where you are.

I got my car in MI and drove back to VA without NAV. On top of that my PDR didn't work a handful of times. What a waste of $1800.

My car at one point thought I was in the Chesapeake Bay...

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Does sound promising, but I'm going to wait just a little longer before getting it fixed. I don't have any more trips planned so the "damage" has already been done.

I'm waiting until they have an official fix.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Fatcatrc
Heel & Toe

Runut, you are right,

Just drove around and gps is x out and it tries to follow the road but is off by a street half the time.

Got to take it back again.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM
tdhood
Intermediate

Default Chevy Customer Service - Are you Listening?

I've had this issue on my '15 (VIN 3990) since I brought it home. Calls to OnStar have just given me the same scripted "move to an area where you've got signal & wait" *****...

After reading this thread, it's apparent that this is not an isolated incident. There is a fundamental flaw on many '15s equipped with Nav & PDR.

My question is this: How do we a) elevate this issue in GMs eyes or b) follow exactly what's going on?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 AM
doopoco
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thespian
I am still having this issue. I just called Chevrolet Customer Service and they told me the same... leave the car running in the same spot with a clear view of the sky to reposition the GPS... I tried it and no luck. They are suggesting that I schedule a service appointment and are going to call me tomorrow after they speak to my dealer's service department.

I can't believe others aren't having an issue as well.

I am really hesitant to take the car into the dealer and have them poke around and take things apart only to find out is it not an issue with the car.

Please... If you are also experiencing issues... please chime in so I can feel better that there isn't something wrong with my car!

Thanks!
We've been having the same issue since we picked up the car from Kerbeck 3-4 weeks ago and drove it home to California. Just like you, it rarely works or it'll start out ok them after a while it gets lost with the red X through the GPS. We taking it in for an oil change and inspection so will bring it to our servicing dealer's attention.

The other issue we are having is the shift lights only work intermittently.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (09-08-2022)
Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Jocdoc
Heel & Toe

I'm having the same issue. Has there been any resolution for anyone with this problem. I've had my car for 3 weeks an live in the north east so I'm trying to get as many miles as poss before winter so I haven't brought it to dealer.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Thespian
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jocdoc
I'm having the same issue. Has there been any resolution for anyone with this problem. I've had my car for 3 weeks an live in the north east so I'm trying to get as many miles as poss before winter so I haven't brought it to dealer.
Yes... I posted earlier in this thread that the problem has been acknowledged by GM engineers. They spoke with my service manager regarding the fix. On 10/3/14, my dealer replaced the PDR camera (and GPS wire attached to it) and rerouted the wire to avoid future crimping. All of this was done in the area behind the rearview mirror. Fortunately nothing had to be done in the dash. It has been working flawlessly for the last 3 weeks. Here is what I posted:

Problem solved!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I am happy to report that the problem is solved!

The Navigation screen is now dead on and fortunately it did not involve taking apart the dashboard... only the rearview mirror and header trim pieces had to come off so they could access the PDR camera. GM sent a replacement camera with a new wire and the engineers recommended rerouting the wire to avoid future crimping and loss of GPS signal. The engineers also told my dealer they have been getting lots of calls on this problem. I would imagine a TSB should be issued on this if it hasn't been already. They actually called the parts department to see if they needed the camera showing in their inventory this week... mine!

Hopefully they have addressed it for cars now being produced but those with early 2015s may have to replace the camera (if the wire is crimped) and reroute the wire.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(

Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to order a new C7 2 days ago, but I decided to wait until this issue is resolved at the factory by GM. I don't want to get a new car and have it in the shop repeatedly to fix something that should have worked great from the start. I'll just suffer with my C6 for a few more months.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I just got back from taking the NCM and Factory Tour in Bowling Green. After the tour I pulled the tour guide to the side, told him about several C7 owners having this Red X problem with their GPS and asked if he could ask someone in the factory if they know about the Red X problem, and if so, is there anything in writing concerning the fix (I was hoping to take something back to my dealership's service department).

The tour guide disappeared into the factory and I waited in the lobby. About 20 minutes later the guide returned and said they factory has been aware of the GPS Red X problem for about a month, and there's an issue with the XM Antenna interfering with the GPS antenna, but said there's currently nothing in writing about the fix. It was suggested I take my C7 to my dealer... ugh. And of course when I talk to my service department they tell me they're waiting on a fix from the factory.

The last time checked there were a couple of service center success stories on this Red X issue. Has anyone else had their service department fix this problem yet?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 AM
barryh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rave
when I talk to my service department they tell me they're waiting on a fix from the factory.
I really doubt that the BG factory is responsible for a fix. This seems like a design problem requiring electrical engineers to develop, test, and validate a fix, then roll that out to the factory and (presumably) provide suitable rework instructions to dealerships. RF interference problems can be difficult to solve.

Quick Reply: 2015 C7 3LT - Nav doesn't work - red "X" over GPS box :(