Sponsored by:

Allocation & Priority

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:01 AM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allocation & Priority

Call me thick but I'm still unclear how orders get queued for production, constraints aside.
For example, let's say there's a dealer with a MY allocation of 15, and another dealer with a MY allocation of 150. Do the orders from the higher allocation dealer get in line faster than an order from a low allocation dealer? Doesn't date of order have anything to do with it?
If the high allocation dealer can get it faster, is it worth a cross-country flight or even a courtesy delivery if you're willing to wait a bit longer to deal locally?
And other similar questions are floating around in my head about allocation and speed of production and delivery.
Any basic 101 info would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:38 AM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Notice there may be hard rules but GM attorneys know them and the rest of us are only guessing, including the dealers. Date of order for a vehicle subject to numerous retail sold orders (Corvettes and Silverados) is not consequential. That said, a dealer who expects a low number of allocations (dealers are told what number they can expect to get before the start of regular production) can estimate when their allocations may fall based on accepted orders in the previous model year: a dealer getting 3 of 4 accepted in the first month and 1 of 4 in the sixth month can expect the same in the new model year. (Extreme example to make the point clear.) So if you want one of the first off the line go to a dealer who usually gets many of the first off the line, bearing in mind many of the first off the line will undergo more in depth quality checks, some being held longer than others because something did not pass the qc, so getting an early order produced does not necessarily mean getting your order in your driveway quicker than a later produced order.

Laborsmith
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

First there is a priority by which allocations are assigned, much of this based on sales history, high volume dealers get their allocations readily , low volume sit and wait. Once you have an allocation then there is also priority codes and constraints that can slow or speed up your order.

There are priority codes on the orders which are paid attention to by the schedulers at the plant so even after your order receives an allocation there becomes issues with constraints and what your priority code is. No doubt some dealers are much higher in the pecking order and "special" customers which by default means someone is down the line as to priority.

Getting the allocation matched to your order is the most important thing, but the plant does pay attention to priority codes on the order itself.

Last edited by C7DriverOnt; 09-14-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Hi Art - the best advice I can give you at this point is to ask your dealer to contact the zone rep and ask when they can expect an allocation that can be used to build your car. This is something that your dealer absolutely can do and the question is one that the zone rep absolutely can answer. In fact, in many cases the zone rep can make an impact on the answer if you know what I mean.

I just tried looking up the details of your order but unfortunately the system is closed (probably until tomorrow morning). Refresh my memory, please - does your order include any items that are on constraint e.g. Z51, carbon fiber dash, painted or carbon fiber roof, etc.?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, here's another question on the same topic:

When does any given dealer learn what his allocation for Corvettes is for the model year?
Do these allocations become available to him monthly? quarterly? In other words, does he have to apportion his allocations out over the year or can he use his allocations up all at one time - in which case they might be all gone by early next year?

OK, so that's three questions.

But what I'm thinking is: If I plan on ordering from a local dealer who, let's say, gets only 15 or 20 allocations a year, should I place my order with him now or can I safely wait to order until the timing of the delivery works better for me.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

he knows now how many he will get in all of 2015, and about how many he gets per month...what he does not know is how many of the allocations will be constrained with some options not being avail to be ordered, that is determined monthly....
Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guide number for the model year several weeks before the start.

Allocated number for the coming two weeks every two weeks.

Specific orders placed against against allocated units every week, which includes the opportunity to modify an entered order to remove a constraint so the order can go forward.

Using allocation is a use it or lose it every week; part of the the consensus is reassigning allocations dealers choose not to use to dealers who will. If anyone wonders why half a dozen Chevy dealers sell so many more Corvettes than the next hundred dealers, that is why.

If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, then go there. Big dealer or small, patience is the order of the day.

And please reread my answer above #2.

Laborsmith
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Ok, I can tell you from experience!

I was Number 1 with MacMulkin (2nd largest seller in country) & was in first concenus.

My car vin was 3014 many cars were ordered after me & were delivered before I got mine!

I had no constraints.

Once the dealer gives your order to GM, they (the dealer) has No control over it.
It is when ever the production team assigns it a TPW (target production week).

now I'm only talking about once your dealer has the allocation to place your order, not how many or when they get them
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Pretty much spot on. Last year I ordered my 2014 from a high volume dealer. I also ordered the FAY option (carbon fiber dash) and was sweating the build date. It's last day on the line was Oct 7th Vin # 3206 and FAY was a constraint item. It arrived at the dealer two days later with my carbon fiber dash .

Constraint means there are more orders for an option than availability. It doesn't mean if they have x number of the options available they won't still build them. Some will be built, some will have to wait or drop the option.
Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
First there is a priority by which allocations are assigned, much of this based on sales history, high volume dealers get their allocations readily , low volume sit and wait. Once you have an allocation then there is also priority codes and constraints that can slow or speed up your order.

There are priority codes on the orders which are paid attention to by the schedulers at the plant so even after your order receives an allocation there becomes issues with constraints and what your priority code is. No doubt some dealers are much higher in the pecking order and "special" customers which by default means someone is down the line as to priority.

Getting the allocation matched to your order is the most important thing, but the plant does pay attention to priority codes on the order itself.

Last edited by Cruiter; 09-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laborsmith
Guide number for the model year several weeks before the start.

Allocated number for the coming two weeks every two weeks.

Specific orders placed against against allocated units every week, which includes the opportunity to modify an entered order to remove a constraint so the order can go forward.

Using allocation is a use it or lose it every week; part of the the consensus is reassigning allocations dealers choose not to use to dealers who will. If anyone wonders why half a dozen Chevy dealers sell so many more Corvettes than the next hundred dealers, that is why.

If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, then go there. Big dealer or small, patience is the order of the day.

And please reread my answer above #2.
I did. And thanks for the quick and clear reply!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by olympic
Call me thick but I'm still unclear how orders get queued for production, constraints aside.
For example, let's say there's a dealer with a MY allocation of 15, and another dealer with a MY allocation of 150. Do the orders from the higher allocation dealer get in line faster than an order from a low allocation dealer? Doesn't date of order have anything to do with it?
If the high allocation dealer can get it faster, is it worth a cross-country flight or even a courtesy delivery if you're willing to wait a bit longer to deal locally?
And other similar questions are floating around in my head about allocation and speed of production and delivery.
Any basic 101 info would be appreciated.
with 80% of my business done out of state....I can get you a car when you are ready and estimate arrival VERY close and I hit it every time....no worries on availability. Appreciate consideration
rickconti@coughlincars.com

I do the ordering for our store and see the quantities and distribution reports

Get notified of new replies

To Allocation & Priority

Quick Reply: Allocation & Priority