C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015's Stop-Sale - When is GM Going to tell us what's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:40 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

What I want to know is how the hell do you forget to connect a parking brake cable
Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTJim
What I want to know is how the hell do you forget to connect a parking brake cable
The assumption is GM is telling the truth. Their track record has not be exactly honorable when it comes to issuing statements. One of my local Dealers GM told me the ignition issues were caused by "girls putting too much stuff on their keychains" as if Ford Dodge Honda Toyota drivers don't have heavy keychains with stuff hanging off them...

"Blame the customer" is what I heard. Personally I wish another carmaker made the Corvette. I still want one but I despise GM as a company and don't hide it.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
C7BigTime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
It would be impossible to determine exactly how long it will take, or even guess at how long it will take at this point.

There is a procedure that HAS to take place when a recall is issued. This procedure is not controlled by Chevrolet, or any manufacturer. When a safety concern is detected, the manufacture has to notify the NHTSA prior to investigating the cause of defect or developing a remedy.

The defect has to be investigated.

A remedy has to be developed.

The faulty component has to be reproduced.
Replacement parts (when available) will ship out to the dealers.

It is rather unfortunate that this has occurred, but again, it's best to catch it before people get behind the wheel.

I don't think it will take as long as some of the other recalls affecting other vehicles as this only affects hundreds of vehicles (not hundreds of thousands).

I worked as a supplier to the automotive industry and I can tell you that for any component that is changed on a car, there are significant testing cycles for reliability that must take place. Heat/cold cycles, thermal shock cycles, on/off cycles, impact cycles, atmospheric density cycles, water/fuel/oil/chemical resistance cycles, voltage variance and electrostatic shock cycles, etc. The list can be endless and these cycles can be days or weeks for any particular one. Also the requirements for compliance require the component to be better than 99.997% reliable. If it is a sub-component of a larger group, then the sub is tested then the assembly group is tested. Even with all the testing and all the statistics gathered it only enables the manufacturer to take an educated guess because at some point in time, some percentage of any component can and will fail before it's time. For NASA on any particular shuttle mission a 99.997% quality level still provided a window where up to 27,000 components could fail. Let these talented engineers figure out what needs to be done to take care of the problem. I will not let these events hamper my C7 driving experience one bit.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame9377
So just to be 100% crystal clear, you're saying that if a car is not one of those ~700 VINs identified, the stop sale does not apply and the c7 can be delivered?

I ask because my car was built at the end of last week and my VIN is not on that list of ones identified.
Mine is at the courtesy dealership but I'm out of town and can't pick it up. I'm told that there is no hold on it and it's released for pick up. My vin isn't on the list and is a fairly early one. 1295.

I just hope nothing changes before I get there. Also my dealer said he got a truck with 8 in and only 2 of them were being held for fixes. At least we know it's not all '15s across the board.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
thegame9377
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
Mine is at the courtesy dealership but I'm out of town and can't pick it up. I'm told that there is no hold on it and it's released for pick up. My vin isn't on the list and is a fairly early one. 1295.

I just hope nothing changes before I get there. Also my dealer said he got a truck with 8 in and only 2 of them were being held for fixes. At least we know it's not all '15s across the board.
Thanks. Good info.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:57 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It would be impossible to determine exactly how long it will take, or even guess at how long it will take at this point.

There is a procedure that HAS to take place when a recall is issued. This procedure is not controlled by Chevrolet, or any manufacturer. When a safety concern is detected, the manufacture has to notify the NHTSA prior to investigating the cause of defect or developing a remedy.

It is rather unfortunate that this has occurred, but again, it's best to catch it before people get behind the wheel.

I don't think it will take as long as some of the other recalls affecting other vehicles as this only affects hundreds of vehicles (not hundreds of thousands).
Understood but maybe some type of communication would be good.

Maybe something like

"Mr. Customer, we are sorry that your car was affected by the issue, we are quickly trying to rectify the issue and get parts to your dealership ASAP. We are expecting all repairs should take less than a day once parts are received. We will update you as soon as we get an ETA on the parts"

Instead we get this.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbong
The assumption is GM is telling the truth. Their track record has not be exactly honorable when it comes to issuing statements. One of my local Dealers GM told me the ignition issues were caused by "girls putting too much stuff on their keychains" as if Ford Dodge Honda Toyota drivers don't have heavy keychains with stuff hanging off them...

"Blame the customer" is what I heard. Personally I wish another carmaker made the Corvette. I still want one but I despise GM as a company and don't hide it.
Just so you know I owned one of those vehicles and YES! it also affected other manufacturers.
Also the problem would only manifest itself, if as GM said you put to much weight on the key chain.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Understood but maybe some type of communication would be good.

Maybe something like

"Mr. Customer, we are sorry that your car was affected by the issue, we are quickly trying to rectify the issue and get parts to your dealership ASAP. We are expecting all repairs should take less than a day once parts are received. We will update you as soon as we get an ETA on the parts"

Instead we get this.

GM is not going to communicate to an individual on a car that is still in dealer inventory (even if it is a "retail sold" order). That fact of the matter is, until the car is actually sold and title transferred the car is not yours. You could back out of the deal and the car gets sold to someone else. Your DEALER is the one that needs to be communicating to you.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
GM is not going to communicate to an individual on a car that is still in dealer inventory (even if it is a "retail sold" order). That fact of the matter is, until the car is actually sold and title transferred the car is not yours. You could back out of the deal and the car gets sold to someone else. Your DEALER is the one that needs to be communicating to you.
Then my question is has GM notified the dealer? Because if they don't notify the dealer, which in my case, the dealership has no new information, isn't that just as bad?

Hopefully GM has notified them and they just have misinformation.

BTW, I Chatted with GM CC and the said they have no information and no ETA.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I love Corvette's and own two of them now. I would love to trade both in and get a C7 but not with all the issues they are having with the car now, no way! I'll keep what I have and hope they get their sh*t together.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Then my question is has GM notified the dealer? Because if they don't notify the dealer, which in my case, the dealership has no new information, isn't that just as bad?

Hopefully GM has notified them and they just have misinformation.

BTW, I Chatted with GM CC and the said they have no information and no ETA.
I believe the most accurate answer at this time for those impacted is that GM does not have an ETA. They're trying to get their arms around this, determine what has to be done, etc. You want an answer, but you probably have the best answer possible at this point.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally I wish another carmaker made the Corvette. I still want one but I despise GM as a company and don't hide it.
So news flash, the Corvette isn't going to be made by anyone other than GM any time soon. Judging from your mountain of previous posts, it doesn't seem like you want a Corvette. It seems like you want to find as many excuses as possible NOT to buy the car.

There is nothing wrong with deciding that the car is not for you. It does get tiring however to have the forum filled with posts by tire kickers who can only see the worst in the car. At some point, you have to ask yourself why you still come here if you've already established a mile long list of issues you have with the car. Doesn't it seem like your time would be better spent on the a car forum that had a manufacturer you liked, that sold cars you are comfortable paying for, and had a model you didn't have 100 reservations about buying?

This place is getting filled with nothing but whiners, nervous nellies, the paranoid and the trolls. The vast majority of us who have had Corvettes have had great experiences with the cars. However a small number of folks that want to wallow in any negative incident has drowned out much of the fun of being here. And that's a shame.

Last edited by AustinVettes; 09-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I believe the most accurate answer at this time for those impacted is that GM does not have an ETA. They're trying to get their arms around this, determine what has to be done, etc. You want an answer, but you probably have the best answer possible at this point.
To my point, no one knows anything and the ones that do, don't want to share the info.

Ohh well, what can you do? Either wait or back out.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Dealers are in the dark also. Friend of mine has his stuck at BG. Dealer has invoice, web says it has shipped (doubtful), and dealer has big STOP order on the car if it shows up there. Other than that nothing is known.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BigTime

I worked as a supplier to the automotive industry and I can tell you that for any component that is changed on a car, there are significant testing cycles for reliability that must take place. Heat/cold cycles, thermal shock cycles, on/off cycles, impact cycles, atmospheric density cycles, water/fuel/oil/chemical resistance cycles, voltage variance and electrostatic shock cycles, etc. The list can be endless and these cycles can be days or weeks for any particular one. Also the requirements for compliance require the component to be better than 99.997% reliable. If it is a sub-component of a larger group, then the sub is tested then the assembly group is tested. Even with all the testing and all the statistics gathered it only enables the manufacturer to take an educated guess because at some point in time, some percentage of any component can and will fail before it's time. For NASA on any particular shuttle mission a 99.997% quality level still provided a window where up to 27,000 components could fail. Let these talented engineers figure out what needs to be done to take care of the problem. I will not let these events hamper my C7 driving experience one bit.
Well said.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Well, at least you wont end up like these 19 people : http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/14/news...erg/index.html

It seems like GM just cannot catch a break.
From some of the reports it looks like GM will be paying out for deaths that may not be caused by the switch. One person was riding in the rear seat and the car had the power steering and brakes stop working. The driver had the responsibility to control the car under those circumstances since PS/PB can fail for many different reasons and a driver needs to be able to handle that situation. I think the original 13 deaths that GM acknowledged were due to a person dying when the air bag didn't open.

Bill
Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austinvettes,

Well said. I agree with you. This C7 general section has really turned into a negative Stingray forum.
Sad.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015's Stop-Sale - When is GM Going to tell us what's going on?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by VG
I'm on the list. My car was suppose to be delivered at the museum on Wednesday. I sent my check to my dealer so I own it now. I got the email that my delivery will be rescheduled someday.

They are delivering cars at the museum today.
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/webcam/camera2.shtml

As I understand it, cars that are being produced now have the fixes.
What that means is they are getting new parts but are using them to keep the line going.

Basically the ones on the list, like me, are just lost until GM addresses the issue.

I waited a year to order my Corvette. Then it took a while to get an allocation. Then my TPW was changed three times.
Now this.
I will buy GM products again, but this will be the last one that I order.

What do I think GM should do? Stop the line and put your people on fixing the cars and then restart the line.
I know the feeling. Placed my order at the beginning of January for a 2014, finally get a 2015 built last week and now its stuck waiting for them to produce and fix an extra 1300 airbags. Since mine VIN is at the end of the list, I'm sure it will be last too.

Its funny, I said when this happened "at least I didn't go for the museum delivery and have to worry about changing travel plans at the last minute".

If they wanted to be efficient, they should only do the museum delivery cars themselves and ship the rest to the dealers. Then just have the new airbags shipped directly to the dealers and let them replace them. That the time between the parts being available and customers getting their cars would be minimal.

Last edited by Jay_Davis; 09-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, in this case it doesn't seem that complicated. The production line is still moving and the cars currently being built don't have the problem. So its really just the logistical problem of producing an extra 1300 components and getting them installed. Of course, depending on the capacity of the manufacturer, producing an extra 1300 (which is about 8 production days worth) could take a bit.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by St!ngray
Just so you know I owned one of those vehicles and YES! it also affected other manufacturers.
Also the problem would only manifest itself, if as GM said you put to much weight on the key chain.
I understand but people have been hanging all kinds of keys and things on their keychains for years and years. GM even realized it was a problem and did nothing about it until people die and they had to. employees warned management in 2005 that the auto maker had a "serious safety problem" GM covered it up and ignored the issue..

No other manufacturer had a a major safety recall that caused injury because "keychains were too heavy" and GM knew about it and still buried it and did not fix the problem and now they blame the customer.

So when they claim its a "bad oil filter" some of us are and should be questioning their explanation for engine failures,

Quick Reply: 2015's Stop-Sale - When is GM Going to tell us what's going on?