C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to upgrade to the stereo interface?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Anyway to upgrade to the stereo interface?

I have a 15 and it does not have nav. I would like to add nav but that's not the end of the world since most people just use their phone now anyway. However I use the aux plug to play my ipod. Is there a way to use a usb cable and then the songs and info will display on the screen?

I can even do that in my 15 Grand Cherokee. Anyway to do that or any upgrades available for it? It already seems so old and out of date with the blue screen.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've heard mixed reviews about iPod compatibility, but you should plug it in and see. MyLink will index it, then you can use the touch screen, steering wheel controls or voice command to get to your songs. Nav is completely separate from your music.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I've heard mixed reviews about iPod compatibility, but you should plug it in and see. MyLink will index it, then you can use the touch screen, steering wheel controls or voice command to get to your songs. Nav is completely separate from your music.
I'm so nontechnical can you elaborate on exactly what to do? So I do need to plug in through the usb port right? Then how does mylink work?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Buy NAVtool and the GPS add-on. "Plug and Play" to get navigation on the radio screen.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by thegame
I'm so nontechnical can you elaborate on exactly what to do? So I do need to plug in through the usb port right? Then how does mylink work?
Yeah, plug it in either behind the screen or under the console lid. Then hit the media button, that will scroll you through the different media things connected to the car. If your iPod is recognized, it will be one of the choices. Once the car has indexed it, you'll be able to make selections from it by song, artist etc. if you have a lot of music on your iPod, indexing could take a while, so it might not work 100% until it's finished. If you have a few hundred songs, it might be 5 minutes, if you have thousands, it could take an hour or so.

You can access all of this through the steering wheel controls or by voice command too. You should take a look at the infotainment manual, that'll walk you through getting to the various menus via the steering wheel controls or by voice.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Yeah, plug it in either behind the screen or under the console lid. Then hit the media button, that will scroll you through the different media things connected to the car. If your iPod is recognized, it will be one of the choices. Once the car has indexed it, you'll be able to make selections from it by song, artist etc. if you have a lot of music on your iPod, indexing could take a while, so it might not work 100% until it's finished. If you have a few hundred songs, it might be 5 minutes, if you have thousands, it could take an hour or so.

You can access all of this through the steering wheel controls or by voice command too. You should take a look at the infotainment manual, that'll walk you through getting to the various menus via the steering wheel controls or by voice.
Oh i didn't know this. Thank you. I will definitely look into this on the weekend.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Buy NAVtool and the GPS add-on. "Plug and Play" to get navigation on the radio screen.
I may do that eventually but nav isn't as big a deal to me. I stuck a garmin in the space behind the slide down screen and seems to work perfectly. I know that uses 1 usb port I am trying to remember where the other usb is.

edit - found there are 2 more in the middle console. I will play with this on the weekend.

Last edited by thegame; 02-15-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

You can upgrade the HMI module to get new functionality. I think the 2016 HMI module is backward compatible with the 2014 and 2015 cars.

The 2016 has CarPlay and Android Auto if it's running the latest 2016 SW.

Besides that any MyLink system should be able to get music off of an iDevice by Bluetooth or USB cable.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Android and probably iPhones can also link via Bluetooth, where you have full access to music on the phone. Info is produced on the screen, volume is controlled on the steering wheel (right side), and music selection (left side). Mine links up every time I get in the car with no interaction from me, except you have to select it from among other sources.

Last edited by iclick; 02-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by thegame
I have a 15 and it does not have nav. I would like to add nav but that's not the end of the world since most people just use their phone now anyway. However I use the aux plug to play my ipod. Is there a way to use a usb cable and then the songs and info will display on the screen?

I can even do that in my 15 Grand Cherokee. Anyway to do that or any upgrades available for it? It already seems so old and out of date with the blue screen.
My understanding you can change out the unit above drivers feet and put the antenna in the speaker cover and add nav for $850.00. (I looked hard as before buying my Z06 was not looking for PDR). However all the investigation I did, you can't update the Apple Carplay without changing out the main unit.

Ebay good source for the Nav module etc. Hope that helps.

Last edited by gunnerja; 02-17-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gunnerja
My understanding you can change out the unit above drivers feet and put the antenna in the speaker cover and add nav for $850.00. (I looked hard as before buying my Z06 was not looking for PDR). However all the investigation I did, you can't update the Apple Carplay without changing out the main unit.

Ebay good source for the Nav module etc. Hope that helps.
i looked on ebay before but wasn't sure what i found was right. Can anyone link exactly the right model i need?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
You can upgrade the HMI module to get new functionality. I think the 2016 HMI module is backward compatible with the 2014 and 2015 cars.

The 2016 has CarPlay and Android Auto if it's running the latest 2016 SW.

Besides that any MyLink system should be able to get music off of an iDevice by Bluetooth or USB cable.
where exactly would i buy that? any link
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Here you go:

http://www.infotainment.com/products...-radio-upgrade

You can add CarPlay/Android Auto for extra.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Here you go:

http://www.infotainment.com/products...-radio-upgrade

You can add CarPlay/Android Auto for extra.
Thank you would u say its a pretty easy do it yourself project? I suck at those usually lol
Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

I have no idea, I haven't done that one. This guy did, I didn't read his whole thread though:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-for-nav.html
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

ok i will check it out thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To Anyway to upgrade to the stereo interface?

Quick Reply: Anyway to upgrade to the stereo interface?