Delivery Options - Some Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

There are no bad options.

I purchased my car through my local dealer, but if I was going to do an out of state purchase, I would likely opt for the Museum Delivery followed by a scenic drive home (weather permitting). Not only do you get a great experience, but I don't think anyone preps and inspects more corvettes than they do. They know what to look for, and the best way to rectify any problem they may discover. The trip home you'll get to know your car very well, and get through the beginning of the break in period as well (I don't consider a car broken in for the first 2500 miles -- not 500).

As for the local dealer relationship, any of them will be thrilled to be doing any warranty or maintenance on the car no matter where you bought it from, or how you got it delivered.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:01 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I opted to have mine shipped to my door in AZ from Kerbeck in NJ. I didn't want to drive from Kentucky to AZ, and my local dealer's sales department sucks, and they weren't eager to do a courtesy delivery so having it shipped directly to my house was my choice. Kerbeck stands by their product. Even though the car was perfect when delivered, I had no problem trusting them to do the right thing if anything was wrong with the car. So far, after 3,100 miles my torch red/adrenaline red 3LT C7 has been terrific. Good luck with whatever method you choose.
So Kerbeck did the prep? What did they charge to deliver it to your house?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Coop
Hey all, I hope to be a first-time vette buyer soon and was looking for advice.

There's a few options I have for taking delivery and I was wondering which one gives you the most control. Ideally, I'd like to go through the checklist posted on this forum personally.

Pick up at the dealer
This seems like the best option, but I'm doing an out-of-state purchase. I would have to fly out and review the car personally. What if I found items that needed to be fixed? Would I fly back, hope they got fixed then take delivery some how via shipping?

Pick up at the museum
Similar to pick up at the dealer with a short experience thrown in. Still have a problem getting the car home and would have to fly out.

Courtesy Delivery
If I could find a local dealer that would do this, maybe I could get it dropped to their dealership for a fee smaller than it would be if I got it shipped. If I went through the checklist here, could I still refuse the car until it was satisfactory? If they're not the main dealer, would they have any incentive to fix the issues? Could this be a nightmare?

Shipped to door
I don't think this option would be cheap, but it is an option. I assume that unless you already did one of the above, you wouldn't know what you were getting until it landed in your lap. Is there any recourse here if issues were found?

It's my first custom order experience so I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks!
In my world - time is money......(fortunately OR unfortunately) I just can't up and take the time to do the whole self-delivery @ either a forum discounter OR the NCM Bowling Green delivery. Money, is not the issue - time IS.

Been there done that on the NCM Museum deal - but would like to take the GM Plant top-shelf tour.

I'd do a courtesy delivery at the nearest Chevrolet dealer near me - although I love to travel, it's just not time AND cost effective for me to **** my own new Corvette.

Do what is right for you - that's all that matters!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwhite
So Kerbeck did the prep? What did they charge to deliver it to your house?
Kerbeck prepped the car but they had nothing to do with the carrier who delivered my car directly to my house. I dealt with Intercity directly and paid $1,995 out the door. Intercity worked directly with Kerbeck to arrange the pickup when the car was ready. Kerbeck works directly with many legitimate carriers. Intercity is one of them.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwhite
Well, actually, your local dealer - assuming you order your car from him - would probably much prefer that you do a Museum delivery. That way, he gets to pocket the $995 you pay for the Dealer Preparation fee without the expense of actually doing the prep (Yes, you have to pay it anyhow). That expense is a big chunk of what the additional $990 Museum delivery charge goes toward.
Not accurate info. The selling dealer does not "pocket" $995 for the museum delivery R8C option. Of the $990 cost for the museum delivery, the selling dealer "pockets" $119. The remaining $871 goes to GM and the museum. If the selling dealer delivers the car at his dealership, he gets paid an additional ~$160 from GM to do the PDI on the car. If it is a museum delivery, GM pays the museum that ~$160 to do the PDI(on top of what they get from the R8C delivery option) instead of the selling dealer.

On a courtesy delivery. The selling dealer does not get paid for doing the PDI but the receiving dealer does receive the ~$160, as they do the PDI. This is on top of what the customer pays the receiving dealer to do the courtesy delivery(normally is around $250-$500).

Quick Reply: Delivery Options - Some Advice?