Sponsored by:

Delivery Options - Some Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Delivery Options - Some Advice?

Hey all, I hope to be a first-time vette buyer soon and was looking for advice.

There's a few options I have for taking delivery and I was wondering which one gives you the most control. Ideally, I'd like to go through the checklist posted on this forum personally.

Pick up at the dealer
This seems like the best option, but I'm doing an out-of-state purchase. I would have to fly out and review the car personally. What if I found items that needed to be fixed? Would I fly back, hope they got fixed then take delivery some how via shipping?

Pick up at the museum
Similar to pick up at the dealer with a short experience thrown in. Still have a problem getting the car home and would have to fly out.

Courtesy Delivery
If I could find a local dealer that would do this, maybe I could get it dropped to their dealership for a fee smaller than it would be if I got it shipped. If I went through the checklist here, could I still refuse the car until it was satisfactory? If they're not the main dealer, would they have any incentive to fix the issues? Could this be a nightmare?

Shipped to door
I don't think this option would be cheap, but it is an option. I assume that unless you already did one of the above, you wouldn't know what you were getting until it landed in your lap. Is there any recourse here if issues were found?

It's my first custom order experience so I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

PM me if you'd like to talk about this on the phone, I'm home tonight, lots of options with all sorts of variables...
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

One note on NCM delivery. When you order R8C (NCM Delivery), the fact that your car is for NCM delivery is posted on the car through the entire build process. This may mean that a little more care and attention is given your car during the build. Also, the NCM personnel are pretty good at examining the car and getting any issues fixed before you ever see it.

This does not mean that you are guaranteed there will be absolutely no issues, but I believe it is much less likely.

As a side benefit, the personal tours of the factory and museum are very good. The entire experience was fantastic. Plus, you can take a nice road trip home. This is my third Corvette (C5, C6 and now the C7) and this is the first time I did NCM delivery. If I am fortunate to buy another Corvette (C8) I will definitely opt for NCM Delivery again.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:22 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Coop
Hey all, I hope to be a first-time vette buyer soon and was looking for advice.

There's a few options I have for taking delivery and I was wondering which one gives you the most control. Ideally, I'd like to go through the checklist posted on this forum personally.

Pick up at the dealer
This seems like the best option, but I'm doing an out-of-state purchase. I would have to fly out and review the car personally. What if I found items that needed to be fixed? Would I fly back, hope they got fixed then take delivery some how via shipping?

Pick up at the museum
Similar to pick up at the dealer with a short experience thrown in. Still have a problem getting the car home and would have to fly out.

Courtesy Delivery
If I could find a local dealer that would do this, maybe I could get it dropped to their dealership for a fee smaller than it would be if I got it shipped. If I went through the checklist here, could I still refuse the car until it was satisfactory? If they're not the main dealer, would they have any incentive to fix the issues? Could this be a nightmare?

Shipped to door
I don't think this option would be cheap, but it is an option. I assume that unless you already did one of the above, you wouldn't know what you were getting until it landed in your lap. Is there any recourse here if issues were found?

It's my first custom order experience so I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks!
I flew in 1/2 across the country to pick it up and drive it back home !!! You have a warranty so your local dealer should fix any problems !!!! My drive home was done through states I might never see again in my lifetime !!!! Wayne
Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Default Shipped to my door...

I opted to have mine shipped to my door in AZ from Kerbeck in NJ. I didn't want to drive from Kentucky to AZ, and my local dealer's sales department sucks, and they weren't eager to do a courtesy delivery so having it shipped directly to my house was my choice. Kerbeck stands by their product. Even though the car was perfect when delivered, I had no problem trusting them to do the right thing if anything was wrong with the car. So far, after 3,100 miles my torch red/adrenaline red 3LT C7 has been terrific. Good luck with whatever method you choose.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

You don't list your state but a museum delivery is a great way to go! You do take a leap of faith and pay for the car in advance of pickup or seeing it...which might be over your threshhold of pain!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
One note on NCM delivery. When you order R8C (NCM Delivery), the fact that your car is for NCM delivery is posted on the car through the entire build process.

As a side benefit, the personal tours of the factory and museum are very good. The entire experience was fantastic. Plus, you can take a nice road trip home.
Zymurgy is spot on! From everything I've seen and been told, the R8C Museum Delivery is the way to go. And there's no better place to fix a problem - should one arise - than at the factory! I plan on doing that this spring and driving the 2,400 miles home to the Seattle area.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Museum delivery should be #1 on your list, if you can do it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the idea of picking it up at the local dealer. Helps build a good relationship for the future.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One note on NCM delivery. When you order R8C (NCM Delivery), the fact that your car is for NCM delivery is posted on the car through the entire build process.....
In everything I've read here on NCM delivery (much of it false), this is the first I've heard this. This is really critical inside info. I wish I had known this before. I ruled out NCM delivery, but I'm now thinking seriously about changing that if given the chance.

Last edited by dwward; 09-16-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chas70
I like the idea of picking it up at the local dealer. Helps build a good relationship for the future.
Well, actually, your local dealer - assuming you order your car from him - would probably much prefer that you do a Museum delivery. That way, he gets to pocket the $995 you pay for the Dealer Preparation fee without the expense of actually doing the prep (Yes, you have to pay it anyhow). That expense is a big chunk of what the additional $990 Museum delivery charge goes toward.

Last edited by ckwhite; 09-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Courtesy delivery is hands down the way to go. Make a few phone calls to find a willing dealer that works for you. Expect to pay $300-$500. You need a local service dealer regardless. Courtesy delivery is a good way to begin the relationship.

Any dealer has three incentives to address warranty issues: 1) To earn your service business; 2) To receive payment from GM; 3) To stay on GM's good side. If you're worried about an unlikely "nightmare", withhold payment til you've inspected the car. It will delay your taking possession, so be sure you're OK with that.

Museum delivery would be a thrill, but the long drive home puts unnecessary miles on the car and on you. Worse, it's not the proper way to break in a new car. Varying speed and RPM is best done in city stop-n-go driving for the first 500 miles. Same disadvantage with pickup from selling dealer, without the benefit of museum delivery.

Ship from selling dealer to your door? Expensive. You're paying twice for shipping. Which brings us back to courtesy delivery. Again, that's the way to go.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:16 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
In everything I've read here on NCM delivery (much of it false), this is the first I've heard this. This is really critical inside info. I wish I had known this before. I ruled out NCM delivery, but I'm now thinking seriously about changing that if given the chance.
It is true. I have my "Museum Delivery" printed signs that followed my cars down the assembly line for all three of my R8C deliveries.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

One note on NCM delivery. When you order R8C (NCM Delivery), the fact that your car is for NCM delivery is posted on the car through the entire build process. This may mean that a little more care and attention is given your car during the build. Also, the NCM personnel are pretty good at examining the car and getting any issues fixed before you ever see it.
This does not mean that you are guaranteed there will be absolutely no issues, but I believe it is much less likely. ................
Old 09-17-2014, 04:03 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
It is true. I have my "Museum Delivery" printed signs that followed my cars down the assembly line for all three of my R8C deliveries.
Oh yes, I'm sure it's true. I don't question Zymurgy. I'm just surprised it doesn't get more attention in the forum.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 PM
quadeddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by SASprof
Courtesy delivery is hands down the way to go. Make a few phone calls to find a willing dealer that works for you. Expect to pay $300-$500. You need a local service dealer regardless. Courtesy delivery is a good way to begin the relationship.

Any dealer has three incentives to address warranty issues: 1) To earn your service business; 2) To receive payment from GM; 3) To stay on GM's good side. If you're worried about an unlikely "nightmare", withhold payment til you've inspected the car. It will delay your taking possession, so be sure you're OK with that.

Museum delivery would be a thrill, but the long drive home puts unnecessary miles on the car and on you. Worse, it's not the proper way to break in a new car. Varying speed and RPM is best done in city stop-n-go driving for the first 500 miles. Same disadvantage with pickup from selling dealer, without the benefit of museum delivery.

Ship from selling dealer to your door? Expensive. You're paying twice for shipping. Which brings us back to courtesy delivery. Again, that's the way to go.
This sounds like the most compatible with my situation thus far. I worry about the break-in as well when buying from an eastern dealer / museum and then driving it back (especially now that my order is probably into December).
Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

I can't really add anything that SASProf just wrote you, he is spot on....courtesy is the way to go in this case, just make sure you are going in person, and seeing the general manager or sales manager - BUT GO IN, don't call or email...dealers act differently when you are in front of them , vs electronic/phone contact.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-17-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Delivery Options - Some Advice?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Break-in procedures can be followed with an NCM Delivery, just allow ample time for your journey. Don't take the Interstates. Stick to state roads and you'll find a variety of speed limits, towns along the way where you will encounter stop lights, etc.

We traveled the entire Natchez Trace Parkway (starts just South of Nashville and ends in Natchez, Mississippi). The Trace is 444 miles long, very historic with plenty of sights to stop and see. Break-in was a complete non-issue. From Natchez, we continued our journey into the Dallas area staying on various state highways. This is the way to see America, not from the Interstates.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO R8C Museum Delivery is the only way to go:

Personal tour of the museum.
Personal tour of the factory.
Make ready by museum staff - they actually signed off on my car with a sharpie on the underside of the floor pan.
If there's a problem the factory is right across the highway.

Took the scenic route back to Dallas for break-in. Very little interstate driving, no cruise control use. Lot's of stop and go driving through small towns.

The ride back was reason enough to do it again. you can't believe the crowds the car will draw when you stop for gas, to eat or at a hotel for the night.

I plan to do it again if it looks like my C7 Z06 is going to be built when I can drive it back in decent weather (no ice, no snow).
Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EBSDallas
IMO R8C Museum Delivery is the only way to go:

Personal tour of the museum.
Personal tour of the factory.
Make ready by museum staff - they actually signed off on my car with a sharpie on the underside of the floor pan.
If there's a problem the factory is right across the highway.

Took the scenic route back to Dallas for break-in. Very little interstate driving, no cruise control use. Lot's of stop and go driving through small towns.

The ride back was reason enough to do it again. you can't believe the crowds the car will draw when you stop for gas, to eat or at a hotel for the night.

I plan to do it again if it looks like my C7 Z06 is going to be built when I can drive it back in decent weather (no ice, no snow).

Absolutely! I've done it twice now and I'd do it again. Great experience.

Quick Reply: Delivery Options - Some Advice?