Sponsored by:

2015 8 Speed Auto vs ZF 8 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 AM
BMW550XI
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2015 8 Speed Auto vs ZF 8 Speed

I received my 2015 C7 from Criswell (Mike Furman) a few weeks back. Vin was 106.

Apologies in advance if folks have already posted details on the 8 speed.

My background is from BMWs...I had a 2008 550 Sport with the 6 speed ZF transmission, and then purchased a 2012 550 XI Sport with the 8 speed ZF transmission.

I, as just about everyone else, was blown away with the 2014 really wanted one. The 6 speed auto really bothered me as for some reason i felt like i was taking a step back. When i heard that the 2015's would have the 8 speed, I was thrilled.

As the time got closer, I went for a test drive in a 2014 and i was very impressed with the 6 speed auto. I laughed at myself somewhat at making it such an issue with the purchase. It was better than the ZF 6 speed in my 2008. I decided at that point to go ahead with the purchase of the 2015 even if the 8 speed wasn't put in place.

Now I have the 2015, White with the black wheels but no Z51 package. The 8-speed is simply better than the ZF. Shifting and response on the Sport Setting is better than Sport+ in the BMW. Shifting and response in the Touring Setting is still better than Sport or Sport+ in the BMW.

The ECO setting is similar to comfort (which is the standard setting) in the BMW.

Downshifts are so fast, and the shifting is almost imperceptible. I can't compare to any other cars (such as Porsche) though.

By the way, the suspension on the Corvette is softer than my 550xi sport...really hard to believe. It still handles great, and seems perfect for non-track driving, which what i want.

The steering is heads and above the 2012 BMW...they went to electric from 2008 to 2012 and the results were terrible.

And the sound...wow!!!

The only significant downgrade from my BMW is the sound. I have the 2LT w/ 10 speaker BOSE, and it doesn't come close to the BMW.

I hope someone may find this useful.

Best regards!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post. Now go enjoy your Stingray some more.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW550XI
As the time got closer, I went for a test drive in a 2014 and i was very impressed with the 6 speed auto. I laughed at myself somewhat at making it such an issue with the purchase. It was better than the ZF 6 speed...
No one doubted an improvement for the A8; it was just a few here that were saying early on that A6 owners better hide their titles... the A8 will smoke them

The real question wasn't whether there was going to be an improvement or not, but how much/little of an improvement?

from your own experience, you found the 2014 A6 was already impressive. Seems GM tweaked just a little bit more out of the A8, while still managing to make/meet MPG and CAFE goals. Quite a feat.

The A6 was great, the A8 has a little bit more. Everyone with a C7 is still a winner.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 09-17-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 8 Speed Auto vs ZF 8 Speed

Quick Reply: 2015 8 Speed Auto vs ZF 8 Speed