Sponsored by:

Longest roadtrip in C7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 PM
BrandonAGr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Longest roadtrip in C7?

My wife and I are planning to road trip from Dallas Texas to the California coast to drive highway 1, will be about 60 hours / 4,000 miles of driving over 2 weeks. Was wondering if anyone else has done a similarly long road trip in a C7 before, any tips? We did several long trips in my previous C6, but this will be the longest so far.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

We just completed our 2 week, 6100 mile trip to the National Corvette Museum (and back home of course!) as part of the National Corvette Caravan (we were gone Aug. 22nd through Sept. 5th) and my C7 performed flawlessly and was VERY comfy. (Z51 w/MRC and 2LT interior). You'll do great with yours

If you want to see a ton of pics of our trip:

http://ah6le.net/index.php/my-photos
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonAGr
My wife and I are planning to road trip from Dallas Texas to the California coast to drive highway 1, will be about 60 hours / 4,000 miles of driving over 2 weeks. Was wondering if anyone else has done a similarly long road trip in a C7 before, any tips? We did several long trips in my previous C6, but this will be the longest so far.
I did about 2000 mile road trip, a good chunk of it on Historic Rt. 66. Loved the cruise, and I got absurdly good gas mileage in Touring mode. I'd say, get off the interstate whenever you can, if you've got the time. Most interstate miles I'm just trying to avoid flying rocks from 18-wheelers and am not really enjoying the drive. There should be a lot of interesting miles before you hit Hwy 1 (a trip I'd love to make some time!).

I also packed a bag of cleaning stuff, MF towels, quick detailer, etc., to get some of the bugs and road grime off after a day of driving (wife calls it my diaper bag). No sense cruising Hwy 1 covered in dead grasshoppers (a West Texas specialty)!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
INTIMIDAT3R
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 265 Posts

257 miles... 35.6 mpg's
Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm currently 5,000 miles into, what will be 7,000+ miles, before I get home sometime next week. Most of the miles were by myself, because mrowc6 had work time-constraints (he flew out and will fly back this weekend, while I drive the rest of the way.

Obviously pack light (one soft duffle bag each), take a small cooler, and be prepared to ship back any goodies you buy!

Whether you have RFs or not, buy a compact compressor and plug kit.

Make sure your car has a fresh wax/sealant coat with 2 coats on the front and all the areas that get touched regularly; this will make cleaning off bugs and fingerprints much easier. Also, don't be afraid to take your car into a touchless car wash (the kind that moves around your car, not the kind that drags your car thru it). Doing this will keep you from having to bring bulky cleaning supplies for a hand-wash. Microfiber cloths, your favorite detail spray and, maybe, some glass cleaner are all you'll need to tote ( I didn't bring any glass cleaner--just use the stuff at gas stations to get bugs off the windshield).

Most of all, HAVE FUN! I've done that trip, and you will be going through some spectacular scenery, so don't forget your camera.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 913 Likes on 477 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've have done a 1200 mile trip, a 900 mile trip, and doing a 3000 mile trip next month.

Quik tips:
Put 2 more lbs in each tire
get some front end protection of some type
Don't follow trucks
Always look 1/4 mile ahead

and have fun!....

I also keep military pepper spray behind the screen , I own a Ruger 38 with hollow points , but don't carry on the trip.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I keep pepper spray behind the screen, as well!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:34 PM
BrandonAGr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses! I plan on trying to use a gopro in timelapse mode (w/ external power) to take a video of the whole trip, will have to see how it turns out. I previously made a short (turned out fairly low quality)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We are looking at a similar trip but from PA to Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Travis AFB CA, Monterey and then highway 1 south to San Diego to visit our son. Please update as you go - been about 30 years since I have been out there and am really looking forward to the trip. What condition the ol Highway 1 is in also. thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by owc6
I keep pepper spray behind the screen, as well!
I keep somethin' else behind there
Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I did a trip to Fairport NY from Murrells inlet SC ( 845 miles each way) to visit my mother, family and friends back in late June. I averaged 31.3 MPG on the way up and 31.6 on the way back. This in Sport mode with the AC on. Car was very comfortable and performed flawlessly. Did encounter a flying pebble that put a slight chip in the windshield and found a tiny chip in the lower part of the front bumper cover. I guess these little flaws are to to be expected when traveling.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Took a trip to visit relatives in Las Vegas then North and crossed over the white mountains to visit sister in Bishop CA. Then same return route Bishop, CA, Las Vegas NV then Granbury, TX 3100mi. I only saw two C7s a Black one in CA and a Yellow one in AZ.

You will love Hwy 1, have fun.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 PM
INTIMIDAT3R
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Me too, my friend Walther.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Steve Dallas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done doing a road trip from Durham, NC to Seattle, WA, down to San Francisco, CA, then back to Durham, NC.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonagr
my wife and i are planning to road trip from dallas texas to the california coast to drive highway 1, will be about 60 hours / 4,000 miles of driving over 2 weeks. Was wondering if anyone else has done a similarly long road trip in a c7 before, any tips? We did several long trips in my previous c6, but this will be the longest so far.
Name:  vacation 2014 051a.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  164.5 KB We make this drive every year from Western Nebraska. Your C7 was made for this road. You are going to have a great time. Enjoy.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

My museum delivery was a 2 week, 3640 (exactly) mile trip.

I'm going to paste a rather long write-up I sent to another forum member who contacted me about a cross-country drive, so pardon the wall of text.

First recommendation would be to get a radar detector if you don't already have one. I went with the Valentine V1 and am more than happy with it. Even if you don't speed at all the peace of mind it offers is quite nice. I don't have the link handy (think there was a write-up on Valentine's site), but if you go that route I recommend reading up on how to adjust it so it only goes off for k-band and laser detection, otherwise it will go off from a lot of building security systems as you're driving by.

Secondly, pace yourself. I put aside two weeks for my whole trip, partly because a good chunk of my first week would be spent in Minnesota for a relatve's wedding. That left me with a week to get back home, and aside from splitting one leg of the journey into two days and spending a day in Denver, CO, that usually meant about 700+ miles of driving a day. That can be pretty grueling if you're not ready for it.

Bring a car charger for your cell phone, and get one of those "battery backpack" things that you can plug your phone into on the go. Being out in the middle of nowhere can lead to your phone draining itself trying to search for a signal, and if you're using the gps or taking a lot of photos with it, it'll drain quickly that way too.

Get Xpel paint protection film installed. Since the Museum stopped doing that right before I got my car, I ended up getting mine installed in Minnesota. That actually saved me a few bucks as the bug graveyard on the car by time I got there informed me that I only needed the bumper, mirrors, and only the half fender / half hood setup done instead of the full hood / full fenders. I paid about $700 for my setup, which from what I've heard around the forum is considered just about the average / best price for that setup. I'd recommend messaging up the Xpel rep on the forum (XPEL Technologies) to find the authorized installers near / along your route. Plan to have them have the car for a day (or two, possibly) to do a good install.

If your car doesn't already have them, get the GM splash guards. Even if you take them off after you get home (though I, personally, like the look of them). I got the carbon flash painted set from RPI, so the museum wouldn't install them. The car had ~7 miles on it when I got it, and already had more dust behind the wheels (rears in particular) than it ever has had since installing them, and they do a great job at rock protection as well.

I'm not much of a tourist, but I still tried to make my trip somewhat interesting. I flew in to Nashville, TN, checked out the Grand Ol Opry, then went up to the NCM and spent the day before my delivery checking that place out. If you can swing that on your journey I recommend it. From there I went up to St. Paul, MN for the relative's wedding. I set out from there and did a two-day drive to Denver, CO. I forget where I stayed the night on the way there, it was just a "ok, I'm tired, let's stop" kind of thing.

I spent a day in Denver and went to the top of Pike's Peak. Denver had the only real weather 'scare' on the trip, as a pretty nasty storm rolled through ("regular weather" according the friend I stayed with). It hailed, and by sheer luck my friend had a thick car cover / blanket that protected the car. I would say keep a real close eye on the weather, and if you feel the need maybe pack along a good outdoor weather car cover.

From Denver I went to Vegas, though got there late enough and left the next day that I didn't do any gambling. If you got that route I highly recommend scoping out the downtown traffic and possible construction going on before you get into town. It was sheer luck that the heavy traffic and construction detours spat me out at my hotel's doorstep on the strip. As a side note, Utah's got some absolutely gorgeous open spaces to drive through.

Last day of my trip was probably the neatest of the bunch. I went from Vegas out to the Spring Mountain track to talk with them about the whole 'Corvette buyer's package' thing they've got going on. From there I went through Death Valley, then on to and through Yosemite and back to the bay area.

Any other things I may not have covered, or any other questions you may have, feel free to send my way.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Dang it! I forgot to tell you to take your toothbrush!

Get notified of new replies

To Longest roadtrip in C7?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 AM
Jimmy Neutron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flaagan
My museum delivery was a 2 week, 3640 (exactly) mile trip.

I'm going to paste a rather long write-up I sent to another forum member who contacted me about a cross-country drive, so pardon the wall of text.

Sounds like a great trip. Retiring soon - gotta do something similar.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Shhhh!

I wasn't going to tell the world I'm packing as I'm going across. But now that it's out there, don't mess with me as I'm going home!
Layers of protection.

Just sayin'
Old 09-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I picked up my car from Criswell in Maryland and drove to North Dakota. Just over 1,300 miles. Awesome road trip that I'll never forget. It helps that it was the first time I drive a corvette :-)

In Eco mode got 33+ mpg and the ride is so comfy you feel like you're in a normal car. And quiet too which is nice on a long trip. The stereo is ice too.

Enjoy your trip :-)

Quick Reply: Longest roadtrip in C7?