C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
My understanding is that the factory option is not yet available.
Originally Posted by Glen e
my understanding is the option is permanently cancelled....
permanently cancelled is my understanding as well.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
I just had 3M Pro series installed on my car. Its only been a week so its hard to give a good review. Saw a few cars with Xpel and thought the car looked a bit dull. Then I saw a car with 3M Pro at Carlisle and you could not tell the difference from the painted areas to the treated areas. So far I have only done the front bumper, headlights and mirrors. Going in next week for the entire hood.
Interesting. Based on all the comments on this forum, I tried very hard to arrange installation of Xpel Ultimate on my car. It simply is no longer available in Canada near as I can tell. My installer claims that the 3M Pro is a better product (because he can't get Xpel?). Looks like I don't have a choice, so I'm happy to hear that you like the 3M so much.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I have had XPEL Ultimate on my C6 for over a year and over 3,000 miles with no problems. The finish is clear and swirl free. I've used soap and water, and spray detailers for cleaning. I honestly have not looked at XPEL's cleaning instructions beyond using warm water, but I would never use alcohol to clean a clear plastic or vinyl surface. That just does not make sense to me and would expect it to fog or otherwise damage the clarity.

The only issues with mine are with a couple of edges the installer could have done better IMO, and where something solid has cut the XPEL. In protecting the bumper and hood from the potential damage of whatever cut it I feel XPEL did it's job. Any "battle scars" inflicted due to driving are to be expected.

I've also got the 3M installed on the sides of the car behind the front wheels, below the doors, and in front of the rear wheels (it was a kit from a Forum vendor). Those are pretty flat surfaces and my wife and I put that on. It looks good too but seems to collect more dirt around the edges than the XPEL. The dirt is not under the edge but just around it and washes off easily enough. Installation cleanliness and patience is the key. Although it was a challenge to our wedded bliss we made it through and celebrate 44 years together tomorrow.
-Chris
Old 09-18-2014, 12:58 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
Although it was a challenge to our wedded bliss we made it through and celebrate 44 years together tomorrow.
-Chris
Screw the Xpel. Congrats on 44 years. Pretty unusual in this era where everything is disposable. We're coming up on 43 in a couple months. Of course, we married at 4 years old.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Well, just got off the phone with Xpel and they're concerned that the installer didn't actually use Ultimate. They base this on photos I sent them (and I've attached them here as well to clarify what I'm seeing).

They're contacting the installer to verify the correct part # for Ultimate was used and want them to inspect it again. Xpel is being very helpful with this...

1st pic shows the area cleaned with isopropyl and the 2nd shows a surface scratch that hasn't improved in over 4 months
Attached Images   

Last edited by KenHorse; 09-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
I have had XPEL Ultimate on my C6 for over a year and over 3,000 miles with no problems. The finish is clear and swirl free. I've used soap and water, and spray detailers for cleaning. I honestly have not looked at XPEL's cleaning instructions beyond using warm water, but I would never use alcohol to clean a clear plastic or vinyl surface. That just does not make sense to me and would expect it to fog or otherwise damage the clarity.

The only issues with mine are with a couple of edges the installer could have done better IMO, and where something solid has cut the XPEL. In protecting the bumper and hood from the potential damage of whatever cut it I feel XPEL did it's job. Any "battle scars" inflicted due to driving are to be expected.

I've also got the 3M installed on the sides of the car behind the front wheels, below the doors, and in front of the rear wheels (it was a kit from a Forum vendor). Those are pretty flat surfaces and my wife and I put that on. It looks good too but seems to collect more dirt around the edges than the XPEL. The dirt is not under the edge but just around it and washes off easily enough. Installation cleanliness and patience is the key. Although it was a challenge to our wedded bliss we made it through and celebrate 44 years together tomorrow.
-Chris
Since Xpel Ultimate has a clear coat top coat, alcohol is not a problem. In fact, they recommend it for stains that do not wash off:

[quote]"What if a stain does not come off the film during normal washing?"
If ordinary car wash or soap and water will not remove a stain, there are a variety products available to do the job. In most cases simple isopropyl rubbing alcohol will remove anything on the surface of the film. In cases of more severe staining, or where something has been left on the film for a long period of time, a sparing amount of lacquer thinner can be used. Bug and tar remover available at any auto parts store is also effective. If you are unsure about the use of any other chemical on the surface of the film, please contact XPEL Support at 800-447-9928 for assistance."[/quote]
Old 09-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Ken, two questions:

1) Is the scratch deep enough to catch with your fingernail (indicating it went through the Xpel clear coat)?
2) What did you use to rub with the alcohol? A microfiber towel or something else?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Well, just got off the phone with Xpel and they're concerned that the installer didn't actually use Ultimate.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Since Xpel Ultimate has a clear coat top coat, alcohol is not a problem. In fact, they recommend it for stains that do not wash off:
Yup, as I pointed out in my OP

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Ken, two questions:

1) Is the scratch deep enough to catch with your fingernail (indicating it went through the Xpel clear coat)?
2) What did you use to rub with the alcohol? A microfiber towel or something else?
1) Can't feel it with a fingernail, nope

2) I used a soft cotton cloth (not sure how the microfiber - being a synthetic - would react to alcohol)
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Right you are mpuzach. The car was completely polished out before the film was applied and as flawless as possible sans a wet sand.

I have a call into Xpel directly about this and hope to get a call back from their CS guy this morning. I'll report back what they have to say but the issues are not just swirls but rather nothing about the material seems to match the claims of Xpel. Well, as far as the self-healing properties are concerned anyway.

And while I'm not going to make this leap quite yet, it is possible the installer didn't actually install Ultimate I suppose.....
That was my thought. I have 3M installed by dealer but am having it replaced by my guy in Cleveland with Xpel, which he swears by. He will come to my home and I will watch him take it out of an Xpel box.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
permanently cancelled is my understanding as well.
Due to poor work and/or application from what I heard.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
C7BigTime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vetteEd
My favorite method of removal is to hit em with Showtime detailing spray followed up with a microfiber towel. The spray pretty much loosens the died on bodies, and the towel picks up the residue.

The spray helps prevent any dry scrapping and scratches, and also waxes at the same time. After I have the Xpel installed, I'll probably use the same method, or I might just mix a good car wash in a spray bottle with water, and apply the same way.
This is exactly the process I go through and it works. I have a C7 Cyber Gray with Xpel on bumper, full hood, fenders, rockers, rear quarters and have no swirl marks or staining. I would absolutely use Xpel Ultimate on any high end car.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:55 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
That was my thought. I have 3M installed by dealer but am having it replaced by my guy in Cleveland with Xpel, which he swears by. He will come to my home and I will watch him take it out of an Xpel box.
If it's Albert from Block-A-Chip your're in great hands.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenTurns
If it's Albert from Block-A-Chip your're in great hands.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2vetteEd
Interesting observations as I'm about to have the Xpel put on my Laguna Blue convertible next week.

I live in South Florida, and you don't have to travel far to cause the death of a number of bugs. I usually try to remove these pesky creatures before their body acids have a chance to take hold and do any damage.

My favorite method of removal is to hit em with Showtime detailing spray followed up with a microfiber towel. The spray pretty much loosens the died on bodies, and the towel picks up the residue.

The spray helps prevent any dry scrapping and scratches, and also waxes at the same time. After I have the Xpel installed, I'll probably use the same method, or I might just mix a good car wash in a spray bottle with water, and apply the same way.
I've always used Rejex on the nose and mirror fronts. Bugs just wipe off with little or no effort (even over the clear bra)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always used Rejex on the nose and mirror fronts. Bugs just wipe off with little or no effort (even over the clear bra)
i had xpel added to the nose and rockers about 4 weeks ago and i am not convinced I did the right thing. Already I am seeing dings and abrasions in the plastic, which is not as resilient as the rubber or fiberglass below it. I can't help but think a white ding in the plastic would be invisible or non existent if the plastic was not there. I drove my last Corvette 15K miles with no visible rocker or nose damage without any cover at all and it looked like new when i sold it.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Xpel Ultimate on my C7 and the area in front of the rear
wheels looks all chewed up after 2200 miles, many nicks that won't
heal, almost has an opaque look to it. I have since put on side skirts to try to keep the stones off the sides. Not impressed at this point.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezvette
i had xpel added to the nose and rockers about 4 weeks ago and i am not convinced I did the right thing. Already I am seeing dings and abrasions in the plastic, which is not as resilient as the rubber or fiberglass below it. I can't help but think a white ding in the plastic would be invisible or non existent if the plastic was not there. I drove my last Corvette 15K miles with no visible rocker or nose damage without any cover at all and it looked like new when i sold it.
I've been on the fence about Xpel due to what you're experiencing above. I do think the paint was much more durable in years past than on the C7 though. I had a 2005 Lemans Blue C6 and when I sold it there was no road rash or nicks on the nose or fenders. Just a slight bin in the rear from running R compound tires and throwing stuff up on the side of the car.

I'm wondering if a clear coat is being used that isn't as durable. I'm already seeing wear on the nose of my Laguna Blue C7 after just under 4000 miles.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
I've been on the fence about Xpel due to what you're experiencing above. I do think the paint was much more durable in years past than on the C7 though. I had a 2005 Lemans Blue C6 and when I sold it there was no road rash or nicks on the nose or fenders. Just a slight bin in the rear from running R compound tires and throwing stuff up on the side of the car.

I'm wondering if a clear coat is being used that isn't as durable. I'm already seeing wear on the nose of my Laguna Blue C7 after just under 4000 miles.
Interesting point, maybe i made the right move! What got me thinking about it was the way the rear wheels flare out, making the front of the rear wheel a strong candidate for road rash. From there i decided to include the nose. time will tell.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I know nothing about this Expel stuff, but I took Glen's advice on using CQuartz on the front end, mirrors, and rear spoiler...in other words, those components that are subject to forward impact with bugs, etc. The product works like a charm, bugs wipe off so easily and don't leave any trace of debris....I can simply flick off the bugs with a fingernail. It seems strange to me to add a layer of plastic over paint....any clear film can scuff and lose its gloss and transparency.

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?