C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Default Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?

So I've had it installed on my C7 for almost 7 months now and I must report that it really doesn't seem to do what Xpel claims as far as being self-healing.

Specifically, swirl marks and other light scratches don't heal, despite warm (and hot) ambient temps. Bug stains leave a mark and, when removed according to Xpel's instructions (using 99% isopropyl alcohol) leaves the finish hazy and scratched looking. And it doesn't heal either.

Now, I have been able to polish these things out using normal techniques but that's really not my point as Xpel says nothing about having to polish the finish out.

Anyone else notice the lack of Ultimate's "performance"?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM
redstar299
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me too

I have swirl marks too I was wondering the same thing
Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing you both have Cyber Gray or Black cars which makes me wonder if the swirl might have been there before the install. I avoid buying any dark colored cars since my first brand new car which was a black 1998 Trans Am. The paint was never perfect and showed every scratch and swirl. I have Xpel on a Crystal Red Cruze which is my daily driver and it is everything it's been advertised to be. Much better than 3M film and swirl free. If you have a Black or Cyber Gray car I think its more a function of the color than the Xpel film. I would not buy anything other than Xpel from my own experiences.

By the way I'm regularly purport-er.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 09-17-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed Suntek film and while I don't have swirls there will be residual marks from larger bug splats if they are left on for a few days. If I pour hot water over them they mostly disappear. If I leave them alone they disappear in a few days as do the marks left after hot water. The grasshoppers have been bad this year, but this film is so slippery even dried on bugs come right off with washing or using a spray polymer. Do your bug marks disappear with time?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
I'm guessing you both have Cyber Gray or Black cars which makes me wonder if the swirl might have been there before the install. I avoid buying any dark colored cars since my first brand new car which was a black 1998 Trans Am. The paint was never perfect and showed every scratch and swirl. I have Xpel on a Crystal Red Cruze which is my daily driver and it is everything it's been advertised to be. Much better than 3M film and swirl free. If you have a Black or Cyber Gray car I think its more a function of the color than the Xpel film. I would not buy anything other than Xpel from my own experiences.

Kenhorse's car is Laguna Blue. From his posts on this forum, he strikes me as a pretty meticulous guy; as such, I highly doubt that his car's finish had any swirls before being wrapped.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
So I've had it installed on my C7 for almost 7 months now and I must report that it really doesn't seem to do what Xpel claims as far as being self-healing.

Specifically, swirl marks and other light scratches don't heal, despite warm (and hot) ambient temps. Bug stains leave a mark and, when removed according to Xpel's instructions (using 99% isopropyl alcohol) leaves the finish hazy and scratched looking. And it doesn't heal either.

Now, I have been able to polish these things out using normal techniques but that's really not my point as Xpel says nothing about having to polish the finish out.

This report is very disturbing to me since I'm supposed to be dropping my car off at your installer's shop this weekend for a complete Xpel installation.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:51 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I haven't noticed any problems with mine. 5,600 miles.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 AM
1hawk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default expel bra

Had it installed on my GS 2012 Torch Red & C7 Cyber Gray, no issues would do it again, maybe purchased the lighter grade material.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting observations as I'm about to have the Xpel put on my Laguna Blue convertible next week.

I live in South Florida, and you don't have to travel far to cause the death of a number of bugs. I usually try to remove these pesky creatures before their body acids have a chance to take hold and do any damage.

My favorite method of removal is to hit em with Showtime detailing spray followed up with a microfiber towel. The spray pretty much loosens the died on bodies, and the towel picks up the residue.

The spray helps prevent any dry scrapping and scratches, and also waxes at the same time. After I have the Xpel installed, I'll probably use the same method, or I might just mix a good car wash in a spray bottle with water, and apply the same way.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have Gtechniq and EVOv2 over the Xpel Ultimate on my car. Bugs, etc seem to come off very easily with a little detail spray and microfiber. No swirl marks but I'm very careful about touching the paint only in long lateral motions. I use Reset car wash and have tried the Turtle Rinseless Wash and Wax also which works well if the car is not too dirty.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I installed Xpel on my VR Z06 last year, whole front end. The paint looks better with the Xpel except I had a few pieces of lent under the Xpel. The lent doesn't show up until it completely dries out. Anyway, on the way up to Carlisle a rock hit my left front fender and cut the Xpel. It created a little flap. I had the Xpel dealer replace the fender at Carlisle. There was no damage to the paint. If I had not had the Xpel, I am sure I would have been painting the fender.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Good thread and thanks for the inputs. I do not have any of the treatments on our C7 or the mini, but was considering it for the next mini as we do a lot of twisties with it on backroads and gravel is a problem particularly following a car in the twisties. Do the Xpel, et. al. repair places in the film free or is there a charge?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
I installed Xpel on my VR Z06 last year, whole front end. The paint looks better with the Xpel except I had a few pieces of lent under the Xpel. The lent doesn't show up until it completely dries out. Anyway, on the way up to Carlisle a rock hit my left front fender and cut the Xpel. It created a little flap. I had the Xpel dealer replace the fender at Carlisle. There was no damage to the paint. If I had not had the Xpel, I am sure I would have been painting the fender.
How is the healing process on rock dings that don't tear the material? Does it disappear? Also, if the film didn't tear and left a mark that doesn't heal, is that covered under warrantee?

Whatever I have on my 2013 protects the paint but leaves a mark on the film until I replace it. Not crazy about that.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

I just had 3M Pro series installed on my car. Its only been a week so its hard to give a good review. Saw a few cars with Xpel and thought the car looked a bit dull. Then I saw a car with 3M Pro at Carlisle and you could not tell the difference from the painted areas to the treated areas. So far I have only done the front bumper, headlights and mirrors. Going in next week for the entire hood.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Is there any better luck with the factory Xpel-like product that is an option upon ordering?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

My understanding is that the factory option is not yet available.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Stan0324
My understanding is that the factory option is not yet available.
my understanding is the option is permanently cancelled....

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 AM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Ken,

I was able to remove swirl marks with a blow dryer set on high heat. Disappeared instantly.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Kenhorse's car is Laguna Blue. From his posts on this forum, he strikes me as a pretty meticulous guy; as such, I highly doubt that his car's finish had any swirls before being wrapped.
Right you are mpuzach. The car was completely polished out before the film was applied and as flawless as possible sans a wet sand.

I have a call into Xpel directly about this and hope to get a call back from their CS guy this morning. I'll report back what they have to say but the issues are not just swirls but rather nothing about the material seems to match the claims of Xpel. Well, as far as the self-healing properties are concerned anyway.

And while I'm not going to make this leap quite yet, it is possible the installer didn't actually install Ultimate I suppose.....
Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Hot water poured over the bra or a heat gun will remove scratches and swirl marks.

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate - all it's purported to be?