C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant and rave about the new A8...Let's hear some impressions and comparisons.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Rant and rave about the new A8...Let's hear some impressions and comparisons.

Haven't heard much about it from actual owners.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I did a test drive in one last Saturday. Shifting was smooth-I liked it.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:00 AM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How quickly did it respond to the paddles........both up and down shifts?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
billeee
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ultra quick paddle response. One of the car mags said it was as fast as the Porsche.

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
How quickly did it respond to the paddles........both up and down shifts?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by billeee
Ultra quick paddle response. One of the car mags said it was as fast as the Porsche.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:35 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Not exactly the question. The above info has been out for sometime.

Looking for personal user experience on how immediate the response time is from paddle pull until shift completion. The above info is just shift times in auto mode. Already well known.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Looking for personal user experience on how immediate the response time is from paddle pull until shift completion. The above info is just shift times in auto mode. Already well known.

Thanks
The third data set is paddle shift data (Tap Mode).
Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Thanks

Most of the time, I couldn't even tell it was shifting. I had to listen hard to hear it, so the ride was VERY smooth.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks

"Manoli Katakis

Well, there is a chart in there that displays shift times in comparison to a Porsche PDK. To that end, WOT paddle shifting feels faster than the Porsche, but not as smooth. There's a noticeable thrust (could just be the torque talking) and audible clank with the 8-speed as you climb through the gears. You can hear it pretty clearly in the video. I found it to give the car some personality."

And not being pushed as hard...
http://autoweek.com/video/car-review...-speed-testing

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:14 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Thanks. The main question not yet well addressed is the delay from paddle down shift tap to downshift completion.

There have been rumors/comments that there is a delay during manual mode downshifts. Have actual users found this to be true? Particularly in sport and track modes?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
"Manoli Katakis

Well, there is a chart in there that displays shift times in comparison to a Porsche PDK. To that end, WOT paddle shifting feels faster than the Porsche, but not as smooth. There's a noticeable thrust (could just be the torque talking) and audible clank with the 8-speed as you climb through the gears. You can hear it pretty clearly in the video. I found it to give the car some personality."

2015 Corvette Stingray 8-Speed Automatic Milford Road Course Performance Data Recorder - YouTube

And not being pushed as hard...
http://autoweek.com/video/car-review...-speed-testing
Thanks for the video. Shifts sounded very nice and probably can be tuned even better
Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Haven't heard much about it from actual owners.
Why do you care? You’re always criticizing the car. Don
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default shifting

has anybody been able to say the A8 is better than the A6 and worth the money. fascinated some would trade in the 2014 for the 2015. what actually is the difference. i know 2 more gears.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:34 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Why do you care? You’re always criticizing the car. Don
I like cars, and I'm fascinated by the Stingray. Frankly, I wish I had fallen in love with it the way I did with the car I have now, because owning one obviously makes a lot of people very happy.

I recently drove a Porsche Cayman S with the PDK, and it was impressive. It seems to be the benchmark for transmissions, but maybe that's about to change.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

There is a lot more to PDK than shift speed.

Too many are focused on that and its a small part of what makes a DC a great trans.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 123sugey
Thanks for the video. Shifts sounded very nice and probably can be tuned even better

That video is of the car in Drive mode not Manual mode. Although he did say that the Manual mode was very quick as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by fireinv38
has anybody been able to say the A8 is better than the A6 and worth the money. fascinated some would trade in the 2014 for the 2015. what actually is the difference. i know 2 more gears.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/20/2...ew-quick-spin/

This guy tore into the A6....But the new A8....YES!

"When he reviewed the C7 for the first time, our own Michael Harley had these, not-minced words to say about the existing 6AT:

"The traditional six-speed automatic seemed to extinguish the C7's performance edge. I found it softer, slower and more lethargic (even paddle-initiated shifts had annoying lag). Even though it was every bit as quick in terms of outright acceleration, the gearbox took much of the excitement out of the driving experience."

Clearly there was room to improve.

Thankfully, I can now report that the improvements have been made, and that the new, General Motors-designed Hydra-Matic 8L90 is up to the task of shifting one of the best sports cars in the world. Take heed, 65-percenters.

Driving Notes With some fantastic, many-geared automatic transmissions on the market from specialized companies like ZF, GM engineers knew that their unit would need to be world class. To that end, they concentrated on improving performance without sacrificing durability; all while needing to satisfy the challenging packaging requirements of the Corvette. Aluminum and magnesium have been used to reduce rotational mass, while pressed steel parts can still be found in the torque-bearing bits of the trans. A chain-driven, binary-vane oil pump in the sump has even been optimized for low- and high-speed engine loads. All of that helps to make this 8AT incredibly fast acting and responsive, while also improving fuel efficiency.
And it's strong. The trans was designed around the upcoming Z06, meaning it had to be rated to handle more than 650 pound-feet of torque.
Down to it then. Executing shifts in manual mode feels dual-clutch quick, for sure. The Chevy guys were puffing out their chests talking about the speed of this 8AT versus Porsche's PDK, and the truth is that the reaction time from paddle-pull to upshift is right there. At least, as that's what my imperfect human brain can suss out – any advantage to the quickest dual clutches I've yanked would require a machine to judge."

Get notified of new replies

To Rant and rave about the new A8...Let's hear some impressions and comparisons.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Feels dual-clutch quick but is still not actually dual clutch.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Feels dual-clutch quick but is still not actually dual clutch.
Care to explain what that actually means. So is it a good transmission?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/20/2...ew-quick-spin/

"The traditional six-speed automatic seemed to extinguish the C7's performance edge. I found it softer, slower and more lethargic (even paddle-initiated shifts had annoying lag). Even though it was every bit as quick in terms of outright acceleration, the gearbox took much of the excitement out of the driving experience."
Not born out by the data. The last iteration of A6 is just as quick as the A8.....but reviewer expectations drive their perceptions. The data, inconveniently, doesn't agree. The only way to really tell is a double-blind test (not recommended for cars) or a GPS-type G-meter....the data !!

The two transmissions utilize the same torque convertor and very similar software, so one would be surprised if they acted very differently.

BTW, this topic is

This subject has been

Quick Reply: Rant and rave about the new A8...Let's hear some impressions and comparisons.