Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Default Constraints - September 18 for TPW of October 20

RPO............Description.............. ..................Availability
FAY............Carbon Fiber Dash..............................30%
Z51............Performance Package............................55%
C2Q............Dual Roof Package (Body Color and Transparent)..0%
C2Z............Visible Carbon Fiber Roof......................20%
C2M............Dual Roof Package (Visible CF and Transparent).20%
EFY............Body Color Vents............... ...............Option no longer available
CFZ............Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package............option no longer available
SDN............Black/Silver Stem Valve Package................Option no longer available
CFA............Standard roof (painted)........................35%
1Y*67 & E57....Convertible Tonneau Cover/Carbon Fiber Inserts..0%
1Y*67 & S3Z....Convertible and Decklid Liner..................Option no longer available
5ZU & G1B......Z51 Style Spoiler and Shark Gray...............Not Constrained
5ZU & G1H......Z51 Style Spoiler and Daytona Sunrise Orange...Option no longer available
SB3 & G1B......Wing Style Spoiler and Shark Gray..............Option no longer available
SB3 & G1H......Wing Style Spoiler and Daytona Sunrise Orange..Option no longer available
Z07............Z06 Performance package........................60%
CFV & Z07......Carbon Fiber Ground Effects and Z07 Perf Pkg ..25%
CFZ - Z07......Carbon Fiber Ground Effects minus Z07 Perf Pkg.20%

Target Production Week of October 20, 2014 for non-Z06. TPW of November 3 for Z06's.

Note Z06 Constraints are now on the list.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 09-18-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added Z06 TPW
Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
RPO............Description.............. ..................Availability
FAY............Carbon Fiber Dash..............................30%
Z51............Performance Package............................55%
C2Q............Dual Roof Package (Body Color and Transparent)..0%
C2Z............Visible Carbon Fiber Roof......................20%
C2M............Dual Roof Package (Visible CF and Transparent).20%
EFY............Body Color Vents............... ...............Option no longer available
CFZ............Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package............option no longer available
SDN............Black/Silver Stem Valve Package................Option no longer available
CFA............Standard roof (painted)........................35%
1Y*67 & E57....Convertible Tonneau Cover/Carbon Fiber Inserts..0%
1Y*67 & S3Z....Convertible and Decklid Liner..................Option no longer available
5ZU & G1B......Z51 Style Spoiler and Shark Gray...............Not Constrained
5ZU & G1H......Z51 Style Spoiler and Daytona Sunrise Orange...Option no longer available
SB3 & G1B......Wing Style Spoiler and Shark Gray..............Option no longer available
SB3 & G1H......Wing Style Spoiler and Daytona Sunrise Orange..Option no longer available
Z07............Z06 Performance package........................60%
CFV & Z07......Carbon Fiber Ground Effects and Z07 Perf Pkg ..25%
CFZ - Z07......Carbon Fiber Ground Effects minus Z07 Perf Pkg.20%

Target Production Week of October 20, 2014.

Note Z06 Constraints are now on the list.
Except if you look at the original graphic, the TPW for the Z06s is Nov 3. Don't want to get hopes up un-necessarily.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Except if you look at the original graphic, the TPW for the Z06s is Nov 3. Don't want to get hopes up un-necessarily.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the original post to reflect that important fact.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

It's difficult to believe so much thought and engineering was put into this car only to find that GM can't get the parts to make it. Back 15 years ago, if you were a supplier and couldn't get parts to the plant, there were big fines to pay. Especially if you stopped the line. Obviously, the companies causing these problems are the suppliers who quoted the cheapest. This far into the production run, there shouldn't be an issue getting a base roof panel.

The GM people on this program who are responsible for seeing that these suppliers are competent and that the tooling is designed, built, and purchased to do the job as required should be held accountable.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
It's difficult to believe so much thought and engineering was put into this car only to find that GM can't get the parts to make it. Back 15 years ago, if you were a supplier and couldn't get parts to the plant, there were big fines to pay. Especially if you stopped the line. Obviously, the companies causing these problems are the suppliers who quoted the cheapest. This far into the production run, there shouldn't be an issue getting a base roof panel.

The GM people on this program who are responsible for seeing that these suppliers are competent and that the tooling is designed, built, and purchased to do the job as required should be held accountable.
My attempt at an unwanted reality check. Although I have owned two Corvettes in my time, I am really a creature of the "tuner" world. CF is not stampted out, it is hand laid, therefore labor intensive and time consuming whether done right or not. It is not a question of getting the lowest bid, it is a question of finding someone who, first, can do the job, and then, second, can produce a quantity to meet demand.

Now maybe someone has figured out a way to produce CF body parts using a stamping machine. What, are you kidding?

So, should Chevy have opted for a removable CF roof? Hindsight says no. I maintain there is a difference between using a CF hood with two fixed points and a targa roof with no fixed points and combining the productivity limits inherent to using CF with the structural problems that are part and parcel with a removable roof, voila: we have a problem, mission control.

My apology Zymurgy for hijacking but I obviously reached a point where the abject lack of understanding regarding using CF caused a temper tantrum, but I believe my point should be published.

Laborsmith
Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Well, actually...

2014 Corvette Stingray

The 2014 Corvette Stingray base model hood, premium exposed weave roof, and painted roof will be the first vehicle platform produced in the patented pressure press technology which yields a part in sub 20 minutes.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Well, actually...

2014 Corvette Stingray

The 2014 Corvette Stingray base model hood, premium exposed weave roof, and painted roof will be the first vehicle platform produced in the patented pressure press technology which yields a part in sub 20 minutes.
I had not noticed that but now I see the problem: the pressure press technology may well be patented but that does not mean it will effect viable product in a sub 20 minute time frame, How do we know? Does the continuing constraint on the standard body color painted targa roof not tell us?

Thanks Zymurgy for that info; I had missed it.

Laborsmith
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by laborsmith
My apology Zymurgy for hijacking but I obviously reached a point where the abject lack of understanding regarding using CF caused a temper tantrum, but I believe my point should be published.

Laborsmith
No tantrum here as the C7 in my garage has the CF roof I ordered it with. Being in the OEM production tooling business for over 20 years just gives me a little background in production and meeting cycle times. The CF roof issue has been around since almost the beginning and to not have it addressed by now is a joke.

I also don't see where the CF roof skin has any more structural purpose than the hood since the roof has a frame that the panel is glued to like my transparent roof does. I see it doing little more than holding the headliner up.

My point is that there are volumes that suppliers have to quote to and cycle times have to be met to meet those volumes. If the tools and operator can't make the part in the time necessary, then someone better buy a 2nd tool and hire another operator to meet production volume. It's not uncommon to double tool in order to meet volume. Ford has 4 redundant single purpose tools all making the same aluminum cab structure part (one part per truck) for their upcoming aluminum F series. Cycle time on each tool is around 15-20 seconds counting load and unload time.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had not noticed that but now I see the problem: the pressure press technology may well be patented but that does not mean it will effect viable product in a sub 20 minute time frame, How do we know? Does the continuing constraint on the standard body color painted targa roof not tell us?

Thanks Zymurgy for that info; I had missed it.

Laborsmith
Don't see the correlation between a part being on constraint and the inability to produce the part in 20 minutes. Simply, that's 3 an hour or 48 over a 16 hour day. That's 12,000 units a year over 250 working days. The real question is at what capacity is the facility setup to handle. We know that Plasan produces parts for more than just GM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

12,000 units a year: wonder if that is about how many non-transparent coupe targa tops came off the line for the 2014 model year? I did notice the vendor is adding staff to increase production.

Laborsmith
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Don't see the correlation between a part being on constraint and the inability to produce the part in 20 minutes. Simply, that's 3 an hour or 48 over a 16 hour day. That's 12,000 units a year over 250 working days. The real question is at what capacity is the facility setup to handle. We know that Plasan produces parts for more than just GM.
GM needs to use the walmart mentality with their suppliers.
You will make how we tell you, when we tell you, and for us only.
If we don't sell it you don't need it.

Just saying
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

12,000 units a year: wonder if that is about how many non-transparent coupe targa tops came off the line for the 2014 model year? I did notice the vendor is adding staff to increase production.

Laborsmith
I was just using simple math to extrapolate out 12k a year. I'm not familiar with Plasan's plant layout so the number was pulled out of my rear

This is the only mention of capacity that I see on their site:

http://plasancarbon.com/facilities
Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

What is with the "option no longer available" for many of the parts ? Where they ever available ? If not why do they bother announcing them as options for the car if they are never going to be available ?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM
bill-sj
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71

for the record, my order is stuck waiting on the standard roof, which i was surprised by. I am an accountant, so I won't bother getting into production talk....
Old 09-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
What is with the "option no longer available" for many of the parts ? Where they ever available ? If not why do they bother announcing them as options for the car if they are never going to be available ?
Good question. Would be a good subject for a new thread..
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Ricncon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you order a z51 or a zf1 in Daytona orange what color will the spoiler be. I'm confused by the constraints that say z51 spoiler and Daytona orange. No longer available. Doesn't the spoiler come with both packages. And if so what color will it be

Get notified of new replies

To Constraints - September 18 for TPW of October 20

Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Working as a chemist for a worldwide chemical company I can only say that constraints are unfortunately the way my company operates. Supply and demand keeps little or no inventory on hand which is common in today’s manufacturing. This is why Corvette orders are taking so long. Companies do not want to keep inventory of any kind. Delaying supply also keeps prices up.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by bill-sj
for the record, my order is stuck waiting on the standard roof, which i was surprised by. I am an accountant, so I won't bother getting into production talk....
Yeah, that's a shame too. I remember back when Fisher Guide was making components as a division of GM, and several of the "Engineers" that followed up on tooling development and capability were dumber than bricks. You could tell that they couldn't understand what they were looking at when you showed them drawings. I think most were foreigners that had "degrees" and would work cheap. I did meet some smart ones, but there were plenty of droolers to go around.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ricncon
If you order a z51 or a zf1 in Daytona orange what color will the spoiler be. I'm confused by the constraints that say z51 spoiler and Daytona orange. No longer available. Doesn't the spoiler come with both packages. And if so what color will it be
5ZU can only be ordered on non-Z51 and also only without ZF1.

5ZU LPO, Z51-style spoiler Genuine Corvette Accessory
Not available with (5ZV) Carbon Flash painted Z51-style spoiler, LPO, (ZF1) ZF1 Appearance Package or (R8C) Corvette Museum Delivery.

If you order a Daytona Sunrise Orange Z51, you'll get the Orange spoiler. Ordering ZF1 on a non-Z51 (only way you can order ZF1) DSOM will also gut you a DSOM spoiler.

You just can't order RPO 5ZU on DSOM unless it is part of another package.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Constraints - September 18 for TPW of October 20