Sponsored by:

GM/Bowling Green Quality Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:28 PM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GM/Bowling Green Quality Control

I am just now getting around to posting this. I received my 2014 C7 a few weeks ago and discovered 2 issues that quality control either didn't catch or didn't care to handle before it left the factory.

Issue#1- Defect in the painted carbon fiber removable top. Basically, it looked like a low spot in the roof top about the size of a quarter.

Issue#2- Where the rear body panel meets the tail light bezel the two pieces were not connected/snapped together, so there was about a quarter inch gap in-between the two pieces. Very obvious issue.

Fortunately my local dealer fixed both issues, but I was without my car for a week. All is well now, but it seems GM could do alot better catching issues before the cars leave Bowling Green. I also told my dealer these issues should have been caught during the pre-delivery inspection (PDI), and he really didn't have any type of response. On the bright side, the car now looks amazing. I don't regret my purchase, but it is disappointment to recieve a new only have to send it to the dealership for a week right after I took delivery to fix things that QC should have caught in Bowlign Green.

Also, the car was delivered straight to my house because the dealership didn't have it courtesy delivered like I request, so it wasn't like I could inspect the vehicle at the dealership before-hand.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:51 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
I am just now getting around to posting this. I received my 2014 C7 a few weeks ago and discovered 2 issues that quality control either didn't catch or didn't care to handle before it left the factory.

Issue#1- Defect in the painted carbon fiber removable top. Basically, it looked like a low spot in the roof top about the size of a quarter.

Issue#2- Where the rear body panel meets the tail light bezel the two pieces were not connected/snapped together, so there was about a quarter inch gap in-between the two pieces. Very obvious issue.

Fortunately my local dealer fixed both issues, but I was without my car for a week. All is well now, but it seems GM could do alot better catching issues before the cars leave Bowling Green. I also told my dealer these issues should have been caught during the pre-delivery inspection (PDI), and he really didn't have any type of response. On the bright side, the car now looks amazing. I don't regret my purchase, but it is disappointment to recieve a new only have to send it to the dealership for a week right after I took delivery to fix things that QC should have caught in Bowlign Green.

Also, the car was delivered straight to my house because the dealership didn't have it courtesy delivered like I request, so it wasn't like I could inspect the vehicle at the dealership before-hand.
So based on what you have described as the delivery sequence, the dealer did not do the delivery. Consequently, the PDI couldn't have been performed. Or possibly, I'm misunderstanding the circumstances.
As far as QC, yes the defects should have been noticed at the factory. But they were small, and this is not untypical of any car manufacturer.
Glad you are enjoying your new car!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM
cg02175
Racer

Originally Posted by speedlink
So based on what you have described as the delivery sequence, the dealer did not do the delivery. Consequently, the PDI couldn't have been performed. Or possibly, I'm misunderstanding the circumstances.
As far as QC, yes the defects should have been noticed at the factory. But they were small, and this is not untypical of any car manufacturer.
Glad you are enjoying your new car!
Thanks for the response. The dealer did the PDI. I ordered/bought the car through a dealership in Dearborne, Michigan, but it was supposed to the courtsey deliver to my local dealership in Memphis. The car ended up being delivered to the dealership in Michigan, so they went ahead and did the PDI at the Michigan dealership, and it was delivered by a private transporter to my house in Tennessee.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the response. The dealer did the PDI. I ordered/bought the car through a dealership in Dearborne, Michigan, but it was supposed to the courtsey deliver to my local dealership in Memphis. The car ended up being delivered to the dealership in Michigan, so they went ahead and did the PDI at the Michigan dealership, and it was delivered by a private transporter to my house in Tennessee.
You couldn't get anyone in town to do a courtesy delivery?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Oh boy...I hear the incoming. Duck and run for cover....
Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues, but at the end of the day you rely on humans to catch these defects. They obviously do a pretty good job for the most part, but there's no way some things won't get by them.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

i have the exact two problems my roof was so bad air would rush in
and the panel hit the other panel so hard it would pop the paint Come on man open your GM inspector eyes
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM
cg02175
Racer

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
You couldn't get anyone in town to do a courtesy delivery?
I had a dealership in town who would do the courtesy delivery, but somehow or another GM delivered the car the the dealer where I bought it in Michigan, rather than my local dealer here in Memphis.

With that said, the dealer in Michigan where I bought went ahead and did the PDI before shipping it to my home via private transporter. The whole mix up ended up saving me about $400 because I didn't have to pay the courtesy delivery fee to my local dealership in Memphis.

Get notified of new replies

To GM/Bowling Green Quality Control

Quick Reply: GM/Bowling Green Quality Control