Parking brake sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:48 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Parking brake sticking?

I have a 2014 non-Z51 MN7 with about 2500 miles. Tonight I drove the car about 45 miles at highway speeds, parked it in a shopping center lot and set the parking brake, as normal. When I started the car again after about an hour, the parking brake wouldn't completely disengage. It felt OK when I left the parking lot (and the dash cluster said is was disengaged), but when I arrived at my next stop (about 5 miles away), there was a distinct smell of burning brakes. I engaged the parking brake again while parking, disengaged it immediately, and all seems fine now.

Any ideas as to what could have happened, so I can tell the dealer when I bring it in this week?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

That seems odd. I use my parking brake every time I park, and have never experienced the issue you describe. Perhaps there will be some evidence of burning or scoring, and the dealer will investigate further.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:35 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm guessing but, what would happen if while you are taking off the E brake, you took your foot off the brake pedal, would it stop halfway????.

I know when I take off my E brake I'm sitting with my foot holding the brake pedal
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you feel that brake odor is indicative of the e-brake?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by occar
Why do you feel that brake odor is indicative of the e-brake?
Because that was the only thing that changed. When I put the regular brakes on and off, the brakes did not release completely. It was only the activation and inactivation of the parking brake that solved the problem. After that, everything appeared to be fine for the 45-mile ride home.

I suppose I could be missing something else, but it seemed pretty clear that the parking brake was the "weakest link".
Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Gm just issued a recall for parking brakes not fully disengaging. Not sure what is in the recall. Would look in this further.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The logic could of been compromised. One of those electric/computer assisted systems that occasionally misbehave. Probably be fine now. Maybe will never occur again.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:02 AM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electronic E brake is the one thing I dislike about my C7. I'd rather have an all mechanical one anytime...
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 87C4_4spd
The electronic E brake is the one thing I dislike about my C7. I'd rather have an all mechanical one anytime...
I agree. I have to push my car around sometimes and don't want to start it to move it. to disengage the brake I have to turn the key on, press the brake, press the button, then reverse the process.....

I liked it better when I could reach in the open window, click the brake off, click the shifter to neutral and done.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 AM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The logic could of been compromised. One of those electric/computer assisted systems that occasionally misbehave. Probably be fine now. Maybe will never occur again.
Especially if I bring it in to the dealer. LOL. Thanks; you're probably right. Had it out today with no problems. I also miss the mechanical handle that all cars used to have. I guess that's a sign of aging...
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC17
I have a 2014 non-Z51 MN7 with about 2500 miles. Tonight I drove the car about 45 miles at highway speeds, parked it in a shopping center lot and set the parking brake, as normal. When I started the car again after about an hour, the parking brake wouldn't completely disengage. It felt OK when I left the parking lot (and the dash cluster said is was disengaged), but when I arrived at my next stop (about 5 miles away), there was a distinct smell of burning brakes. I engaged the parking brake again while parking, disengaged it immediately, and all seems fine now.

Any ideas as to what could have happened, so I can tell the dealer when I bring it in this week?

Thanks.
Hey there DAC17,

Sorry you experienced some trouble with the parking brake not disengaging. I see that you are seeking feedback from other people here on the forum. If we can offer our assistance in any way, we are glad to help. If you'd like to further discuss this, I'd like to document your concern in our system. You are welcome to send me a PM here on the site with your contact info and VIN.

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake sticking?

Quick Reply: Parking brake sticking?