Sponsored by:

Car overheated

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:44 PM
btorlv
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Car overheated

Was driving car today in 80 degree temp. and car overheated. It took us about 1 1/2 min. to get it over to the shoulder of the freeway. We lifted up the hood and antifreeze was shooting out of the overflow. 1st tow truck came out and he didn't know how to get car onto flatbed. On Star came out and by this time the car had cooled down. We put about 2 quarts of water in it and then drove it up onto the flatbed because there was no tow hook in the car. I did hear the fan running a few times today. Will there be a warranty issue with me putting water in it to drive it onto the flatbed? We plan to put it on a flatbed tomorrow and tow it to the dealer. Car is running cool now and oil pressure is fine. On Star ran codes and there were no codes identified.

Last edited by btorlv; 09-20-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Perhaps a stuck thermostat? I drive mine in 100+ and have no problems.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Had my Z51 in 111 degrees temps, AC on, stop and go and highway driving.

Engine temp never got above 215
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btorly, sorry to hear about your overheating problem. do let us know what happened at the dealership. Hope the car is up and running soon
Old 09-21-2014, 12:12 AM
sexmobile
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what water, who said anything about water?

it overheated, coolant splashed everywhere, they pulled it onto the truck, here we are.

If the coolant looks too light suck some out w/ a turkey baster and add coolant.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 AM
btorlv
Pro

Oil indicator says change oil car has only 1150 miles. I only drove it for about 1,5 min after I got the overheat warning to turn off ac. motor sounds fine with good oil pressure and running cool.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The algorithm used in the oil life monitor is probably very sensitive to high engine temperatures, since that will degrade the oil rather quickly.

I'm thinking the dealer will change the oil, and tell you to drive the car to see if it happens again. That's about all they can do since the car seems to be running fine now, and there's no code set from the event.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The water you added will not hurt the engine for the short period of time operated. If cooling system appears to be operating properly and nothing (plastic bag etc) blocked radiator I would have dealer replace thermostat (likely to happen again). A sticking thermostat is the likely cause. Your engine should be ok, change the oil and coolant.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

First off, really sorry to hear of your problem. A real PITA to have to go through that sort of thing especially with a new Corvette (mess under the hood etc.).

Personally, I'd tell the dealer exactly what happened including you having to add the water to the cooling system to be able to get the car onto the car carrier.

I'd ask that they test the coolant and correct any issues with it's consistently. I'd want to get all the corrective measures taken regarding your overheating incident on record with your dealer. It should be covered under warranty.

Whether they replace the thermostat or not will be up to your dealer. Since no codes were generated, I'd surmise they won't unless it happens again. Would be a bonus if they did though.

Since you did nothing wrong, I see no reason to not tell your dealer everything that happened.

I firmly believe in having every fault recoded at the dealer in case something else goes wrong, related or not.

Just my $.02
Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 replace all coolant, and have dealer put new t stat, they will likely lose a lot of the coolant installing the t stat.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:41 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the overheating issue.

As per the owner's manual:

Towing the Vehicle
{Caution}
Incorrectly towing a disabled
vehicle may cause damage. The
damage would not be covered by
the vehicle warranty. Do not lash
or hook to any suspension
components including the
control arms, stabilizer bars, and
links during towing and
recovery of a disabled vehicle,
or when securing the vehicle to a
flatbed car carrier. For towing and
use the proper hooks in the
correct locations on the front and
rear sub-frames. Use the proper
nylon strap harnesses around
the tires to secure them to the
flatbed car carrier.

I would think a tow truck driver would know the above.

Here is the link for tow hooks:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html
Old 09-21-2014, 10:55 AM
btorlv
Pro

Originally Posted by calemasters
Sorry for the overheating issue.

As per the owner's manual:

Towing the Vehicle
{Caution}
Incorrectly towing a disabled
vehicle may cause damage. The
damage would not be covered by
the vehicle warranty. Do not lash
or hook to any suspension
components including the
control arms, stabilizer bars, and
links during towing and
or when securing the vehicle to a
flatbed car carrier. For towing and
use the proper hooks in the
correct locations on the front and
rear sub-frames. Use the proper
nylon strap harnesses around
the tires to secure them to the
flatbed car carrier.

I would think a tow truck driver would know the above.

Here is the link for tow hooks:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html
AAA and on star drivers did not know how to load the car, we had to put some water in the tank then he used planks so the front end cleared and I drove her on to the rig. The AAA driver wanted to drag the car unto his rig and that's when I sent him on his way. When the AAA driver pulled the piece out of the front grill he did not see any hole to screw a hook to. What a nightmare over 2 hours on the side of the freeway.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 AM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I would have the dealer flush the cooling system as well. Think you only want distilled water in there with the coolant.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 PM
btorlv
Pro

Towed to dealer tonight, when I got her home last night I turkey basted out about 2 quarts of watered down
antifreeze and added 1 quart of dexcool. Left her run for about 10min in driveway and did not go above 220. I did noticed fan would only come on with air or heat on and did not come on when I turned each off. don't know what temp it has to reach before fan kicks in. Hope they just don't give her back to me and say nothing is wrong.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not sure why you keep running it before the dealer looks at it--natural curiosity I guess. I'd also not jump to a conclusion. The car has many sensors and computer programs that perform functions and may not always leave a code when something is wrong. And those are in addition to the more purely mechanical items that can go wrong. Let the dealer take the responsibility for fixing it because it is under warranty.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 PM
btorlv
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not sure why you keep running it before the dealer looks at it--natural curiosity I guess. I'd also not jump to a conclusion. The car has many sensors and computer programs that perform functions and may not always leave a code when something is wrong. And those are in addition to the more purely mechanical items that can go wrong. Let the dealer take the responsibility for fixing it because it is under warranty.
Well said thanks
Old 09-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with the car at the dealer. Hope it is something that is easily fixed.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by btorlv
Was driving car today in 80 degree temp. and car overheated. It took us about 1 1/2 min. to get it over to the shoulder of the freeway. We lifted up the hood and antifreeze was shooting out of the overflow. 1st tow truck came out and he didn't know how to get car onto flatbed. On Star came out and by this time the car had cooled down. We put about 2 quarts of water in it and then drove it up onto the flatbed because there was no tow hook in the car. I did hear the fan running a few times today. Will there be a warranty issue with me putting water in it to drive it onto the flatbed? We plan to put it on a flatbed tomorrow and tow it to the dealer. Car is running cool now and oil pressure is fine. On Star ran codes and there were no codes identified.
btorlv,

Sorry about your C7 overheating. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've proactively reached out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Car overheated

Quick Reply: Car overheated