Sponsored by:

Follow up on blown engine 5 months old C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up on blown engine 5 months old C7

Although it took 4.5 wk , GM has agreed to fix ( not replace) my 2014 Stingray. I am grateful for that. I have no idea what happened or why a rod blew a hole in the block and started a fire involving the front right of the car and wiring/fuse box, etc. I don't know if I'll ever be told? GM has some serious customer service issues and having run several businesses over 50 yr. I've offered advise but they don't seem interested in my input.
Several people on the Forum were quite helpful to me and I appreciate that. Many people on the Forum are complete idiots and it's really unfortunate that they have nothing better to do. This Forum without them would be a fabulous resource. To those of you who suggested I was hiding something, embellishing or lying; Get A Life!!! I assure you I had better things to do and only posted here for serious and necessary help. To those of you who offered serious help and great advise, Thanks and Best wishes. Sincere thanks and keep up helping each other. Snip
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM
ProudZowner
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Wrong section...

Originally Posted by Snip444
Although it took 4.5 wk , GM has agreed to fix ( not replace) my 2014 Stingray. I am grateful for that. I have no idea what happened or why a rod blew a hole in the block and started a fire involving the front right of the car and wiring/fuse box, etc. I don't know if I'll ever be told? GM has some serious customer service issues and having run several businesses over 50 yr. I've offered advise but they don't seem interested in my input.
Several people on the Forum were quite helpful to me and I appreciate that. Many people on the Forum are complete idiots and it's really unfortunate that they have nothing better to do. This Forum without them would be a fabulous resource. To those of you who suggested I was hiding something, embellishing or lying; Get A Life!!! I assure you I had better things to do and only posted here for serious and necessary help. To those of you who offered serious help and great advise, Thanks and Best wishes. Sincere thanks and keep up helping each other. Snip
I think you meant to put this in the general section...
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ProudZowner
I think you meant to put this in the general section...

Congrats on the repair!

Since they agreed to the repair, which basically they are taking responsibility, If you really want a new car (which I would since a fire was involved) tell them to replace it!

File a lemon law case and make them buy it back!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:35 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know if this is a good news or bad news story, but considering the diminished value of your car I would have wanted a replacement.

Did GM offer you any compensation like a free GMPP etc? Do you plan on keeping the car?

Cheers

Tom
Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Although it took 4.5 wk , GM has agreed to fix ( not replace) my 2014 Stingray. I am grateful for that.
Glad to hear that you're getting the engine replaced in your car. Are they going to cover repairing the fire damage done to the underside and the body, as well?

It looks as though the Corvette Forum phantom may have helped someone again...
Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

Congrats on the repair!

Since they agreed to the repair, which basically they are taking responsibility, If you really want a new car (which I would since a fire was involved) tell them to replace it!

File a lemon law case and make them buy it back!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I think I'm glad you have your car back. Are you satisfied with the repairs and any paintwork? I'm with others in thinking the fire damage should have been where the line was drawn and they replaced the car.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Great!!!! GM could not dispute a thrown rod. Defect in materials or assembly fault.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Great to hear that GM is standing behind the car. If they (and they should) repair the car properly, you'll never know anything happened.

As far as diminished value, since this is a warranty claim, I'm not sure if this will be reported on Carfax or anyplace else. Just enjoy driving it and have fun.

If you maintain the car and keep it looking good, no reason why you should lose any value on resale. Again, assuming GM replaces any part that was affected by this incident, you have, in effect a perfect 2014 Corvette Stingray.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

I'm glad you are getting your car fixed to your satisfaction. Too bad it took so long for GM to come around.

Hopefully there will be no residual issues with your car and you can enjoy it trouble free. But if there are additional issues, make sure it is all documented in case you have to go back to get a new car.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am glad you are getting your car fixed. I hope you are happy with the repair.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad to hear about the Fix, finally. I agree with you. The C7 Forum has gone down hill quite a bit. Trolls vs Overly Defensive C7 Owners. Not a good mix.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Congrats on the repair. Good to know GM has done the right thing and thanks for posting your issues here as it helped educate us on dealing with warranty and tracking (even if it's just a HPDE.) Every (new) car has problems and you shouldn't be punished for being an early adopter.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Good outcome....considering they were at first not willing to work with you.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am glad you finally got some help. IMO, I think GM should give you a brand new engine. Like you, I agree that GM customer service flat out sucks! There will be those on here that will take up for GM even if GM slapped their mom, but in my experience GM customer service is horrible.

It was like pulling teeth to get them to help me on 2 issues (defect in roof panel & misaligned body panel) I had with my C7. They will even get in the forum to make it look like they are willingly to help, but when it comes right down to it, they just give you a bunch of canned answers and always seems to just tell you to see the dealer. Also, everytime I would call the customer service number, I would get someone in the Philipines who can't speak good English. We bailed them out, and they send their customer service to the Phillipines.

Due to the bad service I was given, I am questioning even buying another GM product.

Last edited by cg02175; 09-23-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated on your nightmare. I am really glad that GM finally realized the damage they were doing to their future sales and the Corvette Brand and that continuing to delay / refuse to fix your car only made this worse. Here's hoping that once repaired your C-7 runs great and that the pride of ownership returns to you.

I wonder to what degree the blown engine reported by Car & Driver may have give GM second thoughts about repairing yours?

I fully agree that waiting 4.5 weeks to get a satisfactory answer from GM is unacceptable but at the same time we need to remember that the staff at GM is flooded with RECALL issues. At last count GM has issued about thirty million recall notices for its cars so everything going through GM takes 4.5 weeks to get done.

Lastly, I agree with all of your comments regarding the Forum. I have received some valuable information and help here and a few comments that were better left in the bathroom!

When the repair is complete please give us a Final report..

Get notified of new replies

To Follow up on blown engine 5 months old C7

Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Snipp I'm sure glad to here your getting your C7 repaired on GM's nickel. Good luck hope everything goes well with your repaired Vette. I just can't believe how much you have gone through with GM. It seems to me it would warrant a brand new car but, if GM can have it fixed back to good as new, so be it. By the way, I Still Love My C7..
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you for reporting favorable results back to this Forum. With all of the harassment you had to endure keeping us up to date, you are a fine gentleman for telling us the final resolution.

Your post is reassurance that GM will stand behind their product when used as designed as a performance vehicle. I was rather uneasy as your experience unfolded, but now once again feel confident I can use my StingRay to have fun.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick99
Thanks for keeping us updated on your nightmare. I am really glad that GM finally realized the damage they were doing to their future sales and the Corvette Brand and that continuing to delay / refuse to fix your car only made this worse. Here's hoping that once repaired your C-7 runs great and that the pride of ownership returns to you.

I wonder to what degree the blown engine reported by Car & Driver may have give GM second thoughts about repairing yours?

I fully agree that waiting 4.5 weeks to get a satisfactory answer from GM is unacceptable but at the same time we need to remember that the staff at GM is flooded with RECALL issues. At last count GM has issued about thirty million recall notices for its cars so everything going through GM takes 4.5 weeks to get done.

Lastly, I agree with all of your comments regarding the Forum. I have received some valuable information and help here and a few comments that were better left in the bathroom!

When the repair is complete please give us a Final report..

Applaud you for hanging in there. This is a good, but not great sign that GM will do the right thing if you pursue your case.
Again, let us know how your ride ultimately turns out.

Quick Reply: Follow up on blown engine 5 months old C7