HELP! USB drive no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 AM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I used NTFS.
could you try re-formatting it to FAT32? I don't think the MyLink system understands NTFS (not 100% sure so YMMV) FAT32 is the older file system and it's universally accepted in in-car entertainment systems
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzman
could you try re-formatting it to FAT32? I don't think the MyLink system understands NTFS (not 100% sure so YMMV) FAT32 is the older file system and it's universally accepted in in-car entertainment systems
Supported file systems:

. FAT32
. NTFS
. HFS+
Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2014 Stingray has had the same problems with the SD card and USB connection. I called the Infotainment team and talked with them, what I found out is that the 64 GB can cause problems but the biggest items to watch is that you can format only as FAT 32 or NTFS; look at the file formats to make sure they have the correct file extension (WMA, MP3, etc); no more the 11 sub-folders (levels) - I did only 9 folders under the main, exp. Beatles (main) subs (Yellowbrick road, White album, etc). I still have problems of it not finding the SD or USB but it's much better now. I also had the software updated but I would think this has been done for the 2015s.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbsc
My 2014 Stingray has had the same problems with the SD card and USB connection. I called the Infotainment team and talked with them, what I found out is that the 64 GB can cause problems but the biggest items to watch is that you can format only as FAT 32 or NTFS; look at the file formats to make sure they have the correct file extension (WMA, MP3, etc); no more the 11 sub-folders (levels) - I did only 9 folders under the main, exp. Beatles (main) subs (Yellowbrick road, White album, etc). I still have problems of it not finding the SD or USB but it's much better now. I also had the software updated but I would think this has been done for the 2015s.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply. I've done everything you mentioned but to no avail. I'm using a 64GB flash drive but when it stopped working I tried a much smaller one and it didn't work either. The part that has me the most confused is that until yesterday, everything was working perfectly; it then stopped working for no apparent reason. I've got to think that if it was a formatting or file type issue it wouldn't have ever worked.

Out of curiosity, when you say, "I still have problems of it not finding the SD or USB but it's much better now" are you saying that sometimes yours works and sometimes it doesn't? If so, I wonder what makes it behave that way. Any ideas why it wouldn't behave the same way all the time?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Thank you for your reply. I've done everything you mentioned but to no avail. I'm using a 64GB flash drive but when it stopped working I tried a much smaller one and it didn't work either. The part that has me the most confused is that until yesterday, everything was working perfectly; it then stopped working for no apparent reason. I've got to think that if it was a formatting or file type issue it wouldn't have ever worked.

Out of curiosity, when you say, "I still have problems of it not finding the SD or USB but it's much better now" are you saying that sometimes yours works and sometimes it doesn't? If so, I wonder what makes it behave that way. Any ideas why it wouldn't behave the same way all the time?

Thanks for your help.
Correct - I've had it working and stop for gas get back in and it says that it can find any Media ; but later I stop and it will start playing but it doesn't show up on the screen. I was hoping this was fixed in the new Vettes but see there is still some issues.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
kirbsc
Racer

I believe the Infotainment team contact is: 855-4-SUPPORT (855-478-7767).
Old 09-22-2014, 01:43 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Correct - I've had it working and stop for gas get back in and it says that it can find any Media ; but later I stop and it will start playing but it doesn't show up on the screen. I was hoping this was fixed in the new Vettes but see there is still some issues.
Excellent info. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I've only had my 2015 Stingray for 10 days. I have a 64 GB flash drive with music files that has worked perfectly in the car until today. Now the car doesn't recognize the drive. I've tried everything that I know of, including removing/replacing the drive, trying both USB ports, re-formatting the drive and then putting the files back on but nothing works. I've also tried using other flash drives in case my original one somehow got damaged. Nothing works. The most confusing part to me is that it all worked perfectly until today. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hey mpuzach,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your 2015 so soon! I see you've tried suggestions from other users and other troubleshooting ideas with no success. We'd recommend like -CM- said, having it diagnosed at your dealership. Have you considered or made an appointment to take it in? I'd be happy to help in setting that up or getting in touch with your dealership!

Let me know!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-23-2014, 10:52 AM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey mpuzach,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your 2015 so soon! I see you've tried suggestions from other users and other troubleshooting ideas with no success. We'd recommend like -CM- said, having it diagnosed at your dealership. Have you considered or made an appointment to take it in? I'd be happy to help in setting that up or getting in touch with your dealership!

Let me know!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care

My 2015 coupe is exhibiting the exact same problem. Nothing seems to work. Very frustrating.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Thank you for this info. I spoke with them yesterday and they gave me something new to try. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it until Thursday because my car is 35 miles from home having Xpel installed. The good news is that I passed their suggestion on to romaja; he tried it and it worked! Needless to say, I'm now cautiously optimistic that I'll have the same outcome when I get my car back on Thursday. Once I have the results I'll share all of the info here. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by romaja
My 2015 coupe is exhibiting the exact same problem. Nothing seems to work. Very frustrating.
Hi romaja,

Sorry you're experiencing this concern as well. Have you had your vehicle properly diagnosed at your dealership? You are welcome to reach out to us if you'd like our assistance reaching out to your dealership!

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM
barryh
Advanced

Thank you for this info. I spoke with them yesterday and they gave me something new to try. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it until Thursday because my car is 35 miles from home having Xpel installed. The good news is that I passed their suggestion on to romaja; he tried it and it worked! Needless to say, I'm now cautiously optimistic that I'll have the same outcome when I get my car back on Thursday. Once I have the results I'll share all of the info here. Thanks again.
Don't just leave us hanging! What did they suggest?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:49 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Take it to your dealer. That is what the warranty is for.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by barryh
Don't just leave us hanging! What did they suggest?
I hear ya. Out of sheer superstition, I'm going to hold off posting the details until I verify that the recommendation works. That won't be until tomorrow after I pick up the car from the Xpel installer. Please stay tuned...
Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

*** UPDATE ***

I'm very disappointed to report that the process that seems to have cured romaja's car did not work in mine. Here's what was suggested by my contact at Infotainment Support:
  1. Turn off the radio by pushing and holding the power button.
  2. Turn off the ignition.
  3. Remove all media from the car.
  4. Exit the car but leave the driver's door open.
  5. Walk away from the car (with the fob) and don't return for at least 15 minutes.
  6. After waiting at least 15 minutes, re-enter the car.
  7. Insert media, turn on the car, and turn on the audio system with by hitting the power button.
Although this seems to have corrected the same problem for romaja, I tried this exact procedure at least a dozen times yesterday with no results. Needless to say, I'm frustrated and disgusted. I have an appointment to take the car to the dealer next week; I'd like to say that I'm confident that they'll identify and correct the problem but in truth I'm not confident at all. We'll see. This totally sucks.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

*** UPDATE ***

I'm very disappointed to report that the process that seems to have cured romaja's car did not work in mine. Here's what was suggested by my contact at Infotainment Support:
  5. Walk away from the car (with the fob) and don't return for at least 15 minutes.
  7. Insert media, turn on the car, and turn on the audio system with by hitting the power button.
Although this seems to have corrected the same problem for romaja, I tried this exact procedure at least a dozen times yesterday with no results. Needless to say, I'm frustrated and disgusted. I have an appointment to take the car to the dealer next week; I'd like to say that I'm confident that they'll identify and correct the problem but in truth I'm not confident at all. We'll see. This totally sucks.
I'm sorry to hear it's still not working, but kind of amused they basically just told you to try turning it off and on again
Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi romaja,

Sorry you're experiencing this concern as well. Have you had your vehicle properly diagnosed at your dealership? You are welcome to reach out to us if you'd like our assistance reaching out to your dealership!

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you for your reply. The procedure that is described by Mpuzach worked on my car. If I have any concerns in the future or the problem returns, I will gladly take you up on your offer.

Regards Romaja

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! USB drive no longer working

Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really sorry that the "solution" didn't work for you mpuzach, but if I may say, it did give me a good laugh as I was reading through the process and imagined them at one point instructing you to stand on one foot spin three times while rubbing your belly.

As I said, I am sorry it didn't work and hope you are successful at clearing this annoyance without further frustration so you can enjoy your otherwise fantastic ride.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

*** UPDATE ***

I truly feel bad about your situation. From past experience, I predict that the dealer will see what you have done, replicate it, then verify that "it is indeed an issue", and proceed to forward the info to someone at the Infotainment Support Group. (The team that came up with the "rub your belly" solution)

It may be as simple as a loose wire or un-crimped connector, and I really hope I'm wrong and that an easily-replaced part will fix it.

I'd love to hear a technical explanation for the steps they've suggested in the "procedure" they prescribed.

Hoping the solution is quick,
Ed
Old 09-28-2014, 01:28 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by JCar
I am really sorry that the "solution" didn't work for you mpuzach, but if I may say, it did give me a good laugh as I was reading through the process and imagined them at one point instructing you to stand on one foot spin three times while rubbing your belly.

As I said, I am sorry it didn't work and hope you are successful at clearing this annoyance without further frustration so you can enjoy your otherwise fantastic ride.

Jeff
Originally Posted by c5eddiem
I truly feel bad about your situation. From past experience, I predict that the dealer will see what you have done, replicate it, then verify that "it is indeed an issue", and proceed to forward the info to someone at the Infotainment Support Group. (The team that came up with the "rub your belly" solution)

It may be as simple as a loose wire or un-crimped connector, and I really hope I'm wrong and that an easily-replaced part will fix it.

I'd love to hear a technical explanation for the steps they've suggested in the "procedure" they prescribed.

Hoping the solution is quick,
Ed
Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: HELP! USB drive no longer working