Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM
mainemic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission

2014 Vette, transmission in drive: whenever i have to slow down and then try to get back into the gas, the car lugs down so much that the car shutters. It's really bad on a hill. As long as I have the highway to myself all is ok. When I first got the car, it spark knocked as I tried to accelerate to get onto the highway, I had to mash the gas pedal to the floor and it then responded. Car has been at dealers for over a week, I have e-mail and phoned Chevrolet. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:09 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Sound like the infamous "stalling" problem that leads to blown engines.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:24 PM
johnnyr89
Advanced

I had this problem once. Maybe about a week ago, any word from your dealer or GM??

Originally Posted by mainemic
2014 Vette, transmission in drive: whenever i have to slow down and then try to get back into the gas, the car lugs down so much that the car shutters. It's really bad on a hill. As long as I have the highway to myself all is ok. When I first got the car, it spark knocked as I tried to accelerate to get onto the highway, I had to mash the gas pedal to the floor and it then responded. Car has been at dealers for over a week, I have e-mail and phoned Chevrolet. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnnyr89
I had this problem once. Maybe about a week ago, any word from your dealer or GM??
There is a tech bulletin coming, might be related... for a drive audit to determine if replacement is needed...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
johnnyr89
Advanced

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan
There is a tech bulletin coming, might be related... for a drive audit to determine if replacement is needed...

Great! Mind attaching link when possible
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Replacement of what?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:21 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Replacement of what?
Well, uh, the transmission.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnnyr89
Great! Mind attaching link when possible
Thanks!

Service Bulletin
GM Bulletin No.:
Date:
September 2014
SERVICE UPDATE
SUBJECT: Service Update for Inventory Vehicles Only
Drive Audit for Transmission Noise and Loss of Reverse
Vehicle Limited to 3rd and 4th Forward Gear
Expires October 31, 2015
MODELS: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette
Equipped with 8 Speed Automatic Transmission (M5U)
This service update involves vehicles in dealer inventory only and will expire October 31, 2015.
This bulletin provides a service procedure to perform a drive audit on all 2015 model year Corvette vehicles in inventory that are equipped with an 8 speed automatic transmission (M5U). A small number of transmissions may develop a crack in the triple clutch housing internal to the transmission, leading to noise, loss of reverse gear, and limiting the driver to 3rd and 4th forward gears. The drive audit must be completed before vehicle delivery (and in addition to normal pre-delivery inspection activities) to identify vehicles with the condition. If the condition is found, dealers are to replace the transmission under the existing exchange program, see PIP5200A for details.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 PM
C7Procharged
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with mine. The problem for me was the displacement on demand V4 / V8 crap. I have removed that by way of a tune and the problem is gone.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service Bulletin
GM Bulletin No.:
Date:
September 2014
SERVICE UPDATE
Expires October 31, 2015
This service update involves vehicles in dealer inventory only and will expire October 31, 2015.
This bulletin provides a service procedure to perform a drive audit on all 2015 model year Corvette vehicles in inventory that are equipped with an 8 speed automatic transmission (M5U). A small number of transmissions may develop a crack in the triple clutch housing internal to the transmission, leading to noise, loss of reverse gear, and limiting the driver to 3rd and 4th forward gears. The drive audit must be completed before vehicle delivery (and in addition to normal pre-delivery inspection activities) to identify vehicles with the condition. If the condition is found, dealers are to replace the transmission under the existing exchange program, see PIP5200A for details.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Service Bulletin
GM Bulletin No.:
Date:
September 2014
SERVICE UPDATE
Expires October 31, 2015
Well, since only a small number of 2015 corvettes have been built with the A8, a small number of failures could still mean a major problem, percentage wise.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Service Bulletin
GM Bulletin No.:
Date:
September 2014
SERVICE UPDATE
Expires October 31, 2015
Sigh.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 PM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought my 2014 and I have a similar problem but the cause of mine is the AFM/4-8 cylinder deactivation. I feel it when having gone slow for a while then attempting to accelerate it stumbles and vibrates. If you use paddles to sift (non AFM mode) it runs fine! I bought a tuner to deactivate this POS! GM should have done it like the manual transmissions!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

(apparently some people can't tell the difference between a 2014 and 2015 C7.....)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

apparently someone doesn't know what the first post was referring to!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

mainemic,

Sorry about your transmission concerns. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've proactively reached out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sstew
apparently someone doesn't know what the first post was referring to!

Yup, my bad, saw transmission, missed 2014... doh.... Good luck with the resolution..

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission

Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

8 to 4 on a Corvette? What was GM thinking? For what? An extra 2 MPG? Can't wait to see the A8 w/ 650 HP.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:36 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Sounds like a rare issue, not widely known or discussed, that very few have experienced.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

When you read his thread you know he is in V4 mode and it has difficulty coming out occasionally and requires heavy throttle activation to hurry the action up. I hate it on mine and have as yet to get resolution from GM. They need to install programming tables from manual shift cars so we can choose this feature or not. These audits are a stall tactic they already know, but haven't decided how to proceed. Most dealer techs are to busy to be auditors and flat rate does not pay them enough.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission