Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Default Using iTunes to create playlists for the Stingray - How To

Just a quick tutorial to take some of the mystery out of creating and using playlists for the Stingray Infotainment system. Same format that you are used to seeing from me with basic step by step information and pictures to illustrate each step of the process.

Please note, this assumes you have iTunes and some music present in your iTunes Music folder. This is for creating custom playlists of songs or to play a complete album in order (classical musicians rejoice) as you can play the songs in the order the composer intended. This is for use with a SD card or USB media drive. Also note If you have playlists sync'd to your iPhone or iPod you won't need this as the MyLink system will natively support those playlists directly from the device when hooked up via the USB cable.

You can download it from my website here:

www.theredlion.us

Select the Seventh Generation link, Select Navigation and scroll down the page to find it. It is a PDF document that you can click to open or right click to save as.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 09-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by talon90:
Kent1999 (12-26-2016), speedlink (02-02-2016), tomlink (10-17-2015)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Added link to this thread in the Manuals, Reference Material, Online Order Guide, Order Tracking, etc. sticky thread.
The following users liked this post:
speedlink (02-02-2016)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Added link to this thread in the Manuals, Reference Material, Online Order Guide, Order Tracking, etc. sticky thread.
Thanks John.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 AM
MrBrightside
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 103 Posts

Amazing thank you!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:38 AM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info, nice work!! Thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 03:14 AM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Just a quick tutorial to take some of the mystery out of creating and using playlists for the Stingray Infotainment system. Same format that you are used to seeing from me with basic step by step information and pictures to illustrate each step of the process.

Please note, this assumes you have iTunes and some music present in your iTunes Music folder. This is for creating custom playlists of songs or to play a complete album in order (classical musicians rejoice) as you can play the songs in the order the composer intended. This is for use with a SD card or USB media drive. Also note If you have playlists sync'd to your iPhone or iPod you won't need this as the MyLink system will natively support those playlists directly from the device when hooked up via the USB cable.

www.theredlion.us

Select the Seventh Generation link, Select Navigation and scroll down the page to find it. It is a PDF document that you can click to open or right click to save as.

Paul
Thanks very much Paul.
This is some help I can REALLY put to use.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Using iTunesExport, is way easier than this. You can export any playlist (even smart playlists) and change the paths while you export (so no find and replace later).

I use it on all my cars to make M3U playlists.

If anyone wants detailed instructions I can post up an example.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:33 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes, please provide more information about how to do this.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

So first you need to download iTunesExport, just Google it to find it.

Once installed run the app.

1. First screen presents the location of your iTunes XML file. This is the file that stores all your iTunes information. It's typically located at C:\Users\Username\Music\iTunes\

2. Second screen presents you a list of all your playlists including some built in ones (if you have anything organized into "folders" in iTunes they are also presented as playlists). Select the playlists you want to export.

3. Third screen is where the magic happens. Here is where you set all the settings to allow things to work

a. Output directory, this is where the .m3u files will be saved. I have mine as a random folder on my HD
b. Playlist format, set to M3U and leave the check boxes unchecked.
c. File Types, set to MP3 Files Only this removes an non-MP3 files from playlists
d. Music Folder (Pre-fix) this is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! This setting is the "path" to where your music files are. In Talon's setup, this is what you are "find and replacing" manually. I keep my Playlists in a "Playlist" folder in the root of my USB stick (so playlists are Playlists\PlaylistName.m3u), so I set this to ..\ so all my playlists look like ..\Artist\Album\Song.mp3. I have iTunes manage my library so I know the Artist\Album\Song.mp3 part won't change. If you want to store the Playlists in the root of the USB drive leave this BLANK! This makes your .m3u files all have Artist\Album\Song.mp3.
e. Copy Files, set to Don't Copy Music

Clicking next makes .m3u files for each playlist.

I have iTunes manage my music so I just copy the entire Music folder to the USB drive (without the iTunes and Tones subfolders). If you want to make it even easier you can change option (a.) to be your USB drive (like E:\), and set option (e.) to copy the files for you, by selecting "Copy iTunes Structure"

This tool works for any modern car stereo that uses .m3u files (so I also use it with SYNC on my Ford).

I did this because I have 135 Playlists and I didn't want to manage all of them. I have a 128 GB USB drive with 8500 songs on it, so it works quite well for such a large library.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 08-03-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

I threw this together:

It's a nice supplement to what Talon90 wrote, and if someone wants to host it feel free.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
iTunes Export to USB.pdf (348.1 KB, 635 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:25 AM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write ups! I have transferred my songs and some playlists. But, I do have something weird happening where several songs are being skipped. If I try selecting certain songs directly, they are not played. I can play the songs off the usb on my computer.

## SOLUTION ##

Make sure they are mp3! Duh, I had several m4a files and those are not compatible. I used a free converter and now everything looks better. I did have to update the playlist through a txt editor and change m4a to mp3.

Last edited by ladiver; 09-06-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Found solution
Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
rettop
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi6998

Thank You Sir. Thank you, thank you thank you...
Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
SCRed
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome information guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Using iTunes to create playlists for the Stingray - How To

Old 10-03-2016, 04:52 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

www.theredlion.us

Paul

Hi Paul
I'm fairly computer literate using my PC with the latest version of iTunes on a Windows 7 machine. I have exported a playlist to a .m3u file, but the only programs that will open it are: iTunes, Quick Time, and Windows Media player, not Notepad. ????
Old 10-03-2016, 07:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

An .m3u file is nothing more than a text file. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U. Yes Notepad will open it but you have to tell Notepad not to restrict the File Open dialog to just .txt files because you want to open a .m3u file.

Given the file format described in Wikipedia, and the fact that my music store is already organized as Genre / Artist / Album, it was simple to write a Perl script to scan the directories and for each album, generate an .m3u file. I don't remember if I bothered opening the .mp3 files looking for track number so as to order it properly but that wouldn't be hard to add. Then just re-synchronize your music store to a USB and the .m3u files should show up as playlists.
The following users liked this post:
GTVETT (10-04-2016)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:28 PM
clark6ar
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link referenced to the website doesn't seem to be working anymore... anyone have the .pdf?

Quick Reply: Using iTunes to create playlists for the Stingray - How To