Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine ZR1 coming, C8's all to follow platform!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 PM
MrGeorge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
List price for Ford GT was $140K and then $150K, equal to $176-177K in current dollars. Also GT was about 5 1/2 inches lower than current C7, probably too low (and too expensive) for daily-driver status. It's not surprising sales were not huge, though I think Ford sold almost as many as originally planned (4500, according to Wikipedia).

The above helps explain the sales figure, as does the fact that the GT was a kind of a publicity stunt, not really a continuation of the very different original GT40 race cars.

A mid engine C8 at a more reasonable price (for lower-content cars) might do well at prices closer to current C7, I think. As I have mentioned before, the competition for new C6 cars included used C5 & C6s. C7 has been new enough that hasn't kicked in as yet, but it will become a factor going forward. A mid-engine C8 would again have that "all-new" cachet, but if it sold for $150-$200K it would be abandoning the Corvette market niche.

So, you're quite right that none of this is guaranteed. The devil is in the details for such a mid-engine car.

If this is true will it have an influence on a Mid-engine Vette?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...?__federated=1
Old 10-08-2014, 12:30 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Yep Johnny,they built just over 4,000 of them across a two year span, and it took about four years to sell them. I'm sure GM does not want to repeat that result.
Hmmm - well, it sounds as if maybe Ford wants to repeat the experience.........

yeah, I know, it's just Motor Trend, and we can never believe them..........

But, if there is any truth to both of these rumors, the competition between Ford and GM might just be a motivator for both of them!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGeorge

Might make a mid-engine C8 more likely. I'll bet this new version of the GT wouldn't be any less expensive than the GTs of a decade or so ago, though.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM
@Art_Mighty
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MrGeorge

I'm not sure about influence but certainly motivation for GM as now they would have rival. In ZR1 trim the corvette could to toe-to-toe against a new Ford GT.

But for this topic to really mean anything there would have to be an "every man's" MR Vette...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:09 PM
mfasano727
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid-engine is definitely the corvette of the future; always has been always will be.

Actually, I am a true believer. I think it will be a hybrid that will compete with the 918 and P1. The Z already will hold its own against the typical mid-engine super car.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
@Art_Mighty
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mfasano727
Mid-engine is definitely the corvette of the future; always has been always will be.
I've been thinking about this some more and maybe, maybe not....

Personally I love the idea of a MR corvette because I can knock two things off my list; owning a Corvette and owning a mid engined car. But, I'm thinking from the perspective of existing corvette owners and fans and it's the push-rod, big displacement front engine, rear wheel drive layout that's a big part of why the existing buyers come back.

Started by the hydro-formed frame rails, torque-tube, and transaxle of the C5, the last three generations of the Corvette has essentially been the same car. The Corvette is the american 911. Neither car has toyed around with it's basic formula. When Porsche put it's engine in the middle it becomes a different car. A Carrera GT, a Boxter, a Cayman...

There's no doubt in my mind that GM started this rumor. There's too many different people reporting on this. Then you have those goofy pictures of the "malibuvette". GM's reading all of this listening to our reactions, especially how many us positive or negative about the possibility of a Mid-Engined sports car.

For some reason this subject brings out a *LOT* angst, lots of haters and hurtful comments coming from those who think the idea of a mid-engined Corvette is ridiculous. After pondering this question I agree.

I think they are working on a mid-engined car but it's not the Corvette. It's going to share engines and platform parts with the Vette but most of the Bloomington/Normal crowd would suffer strokes if it shared the same name.

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 10-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

If they make a mid engine model as a separate entity that would be great. I personally have no interest in one since there is not enough room in mid engine cars to pack for a trip. If it goes strictly mid engine I'll be out. Will keep our C3 and C5 though.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by plasboy
If they make a mid engine model as a separate entity that would be great. I personally have no interest in one since there is not enough room in mid engine cars to pack for a trip. If it goes strictly mid engine I'll be out. Will keep our C3 and C5 though.
For me, storage is not a huge issue, so I'd still be interested in owning one. As a weekend cruiser or even a daily commuter car, I think it would be fine.

I'd imagine they would engineer in some pretty nifty storage throughout the car. Probably enough to pack for a few nights away if you split up your items into smaller luggage (carry-on or mid sized gym-duffle bags).
Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

You folks do know that GM already has built a mid engine sports car, don't you?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM
barryh
Advanced

Originally Posted by jschindler
You folks do know that GM already has built a mid engine sports car, don't you?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

^^^ c7.5

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-07-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Actually, it was big foot, and I saw it.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Stingray Chevrolet already has one of the mid-engine coupes on their showroom floor.

It's bright red. They said Chevy calls it an Fur-are-ray!!!!!

IT'S TRUE~!!!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
@Art_Mighty
8th Gear

Car and Driver Article

Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 PM
@Art_Mighty
8th Gear

10 cars that paved the way...
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 PM
RealPilot
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, the Alpha-based 2016 Camaro may end up lighter than the C7 Corvette, giving it the performance edge over its bigger brother.

Good luck cutting the weight down from the current Camaro's Curb weight: 3,702 to 4,374 lbs. down to less than 3,300 lbs. The Camaro is HUGE.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by barryh
That's a rear engine probably one of the biggest pieces of s@#t GM ever made except maybe a Vega.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Engine ZR1 coming, C8's all to follow platform!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Joy c7
That's a rear engine probably one of the biggest pieces of s@#t GM ever made except maybe a Vega.
Well, your lack of knowledge of the Fiero's development is showing.

The original car was anemic, and the POS term might be appropriate. However, as the car was developed, it became a fine piece of machinery for the time. The 1988 Fiero Formula was a great sports car. I was sad to see it go.

Had GM continued to develop the car, I imagine today it would be the equivalent to the Porsche Cayman S in being a thorn in the side of its big brother.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Motor authority writes a great article. Hope it all is true and I happen to agree with everything they said in the article.

Their accuracy or authority is based off the same rumors we all hear...

Great to conjure up. Hope it's all true...yet these poor fellas have little inside connections...almost as few as GM inside news.....they have no inside news ....other than a catchy name.

Still it was a fun read...and I look forward to a 500 hp DCT rear mid engine corvette targa roof for 65 grand ..

Sign me up...I'll park it next to my electric four door cuv and or my tesla sedan...(maybe a GMC all electric small cuv)

No electric or awd needed for my rear mid engine corvette....with DCT...
Old 10-04-2017, 04:04 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Motor authority writes a great article. Hope it all is true and I happen to agree with everything they said in the article.

Their accuracy or authority is based off the same rumors we all hear...

Great to conjure up. Hope it's all true...yet these poor fellas have little inside connections...almost as few as GM inside news.....they have no inside news ....other than a catchy name.

Still it was a fun read...and I look forward to a 500 hp DCT rear mid engine corvette targa roof for 65 grand ..

Sign me up...I'll park it next to my electric four door cuv and or my tesla sedan...(maybe a GMC all electric small cuv)

No electric or awd needed for my rear mid engine corvette....with DCT...
That article is 3 years old

Quick Reply: Mid Engine ZR1 coming, C8's all to follow platform!