Sponsored by:

Penzoil Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:55 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Penzoil Platinum

Anyone have any experience or opinion on Penzoil Platinum Synthetic made from natural gas?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If it's not DEXOS rated, it's dead in the water for the C7 regardless....
Old 09-27-2014, 09:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Looks like you're good to go if you want to use it!

"•GM dexos1™ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)"

fr. here: http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pe...Specifications
Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If the Pennzoil website is up to date, it says that Pennzoil Platinum does meet dexos 1 spec.

OEM specifications:
•Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
•Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
•Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
•GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
•GM 4718M (Corvette and Cadillac) (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
•GM dexos1™ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)
•Honda/Acura HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's really the reason for Dexos 1 ratings? Does anyone know? Funny how everyone is all up in arms about synthetic oil when conventional oil has been proven to work just fine for engines that are designed and produced properly. My friend had a 1987 CRX that used conventional oil and ran for 340,000 miles until he sold it still in running condition. The engine was never rebuilt or had any repair. All he did was change the oil every 3K to 5K miles with whatever the oil change places put in it. If you change your oil every 5K I don't think it really matters but I could be wrong...
Old 09-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
What's really the reason for Dexos 1 ratings? Does anyone know? Funny how everyone is all up in arms about synthetic oil when conventional oil has been proven to work just fine for engines that are designed and produced properly. My friend had a 1987 CRX that used conventional oil and ran for 340,000 miles until he sold it still in running condition. The engine was never rebuilt or had any repair. All he did was change the oil every 3K to 5K miles with whatever the oil change places put in it. If you change your oil every 5K I don't think it really matters but I could be wrong...
Apples and oranges difference in engines and technology!!! Without going into every detail about a '87 Honda engine vs. a '14 LT1 and your comment about properly designed and produced engines, let's just say.... ah forget it. I really don't mean any disrespect but if you have to ask that question, you probably just won't get it. Sorry.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Unless the engine is running 10K RPMs I'm pretty sure the physics of friction, wear and thermodynamics are pretty comparable...
Old 09-28-2014, 01:14 AM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been using this oil since my 2007 corvette was new. Had to have the cam and lifters changed at 85,000 miles and the inside of the engine looked brand new. I change the oil every 10,000 miles. The lifter problem did not have anything to do with the oil. It was not sticking, it had collasiped. Also run it in my avalanche with the same change interval and it has 160,000 miles on it and it has never been in the shop.
I feel that Pennsoil is one of the top brands of oil produced and I have been involved in lubricants for around 30 years, specifying lubricants for one of the larger offshore drilling companies.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Apples and oranges difference in engines and technology!!! Without going into every detail about a '87 Honda engine vs. a '14 LT1 and your comment about properly designed and produced engines, let's just say.... ah forget it. I really don't mean any disrespect but if you have to ask that question, you probably just won't get it. Sorry.
So you really know what the differences are and why we need Dexos 1 qualified oil? I really doubt it
Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
So you really know what the differences are and why we need Dexos 1 qualified oil? I really doubt it
Re-read my comment. I wasn't talking specifically about Dexos 1. Talking about differences in an '87 Honda and the 'C7 LT1. But since you asked do you really think it doesn't matter that the oil meets the manufacturers specs? The oil used in the 87 Honda probably did for its lifetime.
You can argue that GM is using its Dexos 1 certification as a cash grab because it requires a licensing fee to oil companies to use it on their packaging. But you can not compare a conventional oil to a synthetic or syn blend oil.
AND do you really think conventional oil is for engines that are designed and produced properly regardless of the vehicle manufacturers engine oil specs???? (I guess you're saying that most engines are not designed and produced properly and so they need a synthetic or a syn blend to keep the engine from failure? Huh?????)
When you get your C7 get your buddy to give you a couple of quarts of the oil he's been using since '87 in his Honda. Love to see the reaction when GM gets the warranty request.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 09-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 PM
NavyDoc2007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with Pureplus technology is Dexos 1 certified.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...-US%29_TDS.pdf
Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

If you change your oil every 5K I don't think it really matters but I could be wrong...
Quality synthetic oil can provide superior protection at much higher temperatures than conventional oil. That’s why gas turbines and jet engines have used them almost since they became widely used, decades ago. Synthetics also reduce friction much more effectively than conventional.

Your buddy’s 340K miles is a sample of one, meaningless statistically. Because the vast majority of cars, particularly older cars are running on “mineral” oil, you are certain to find cases where the car has run an amazing number of miles. Still says nothing to refute the superior performance of synthetics.

You’re on a Corvette forum. Older Corvettes specified or at least strongly recommended Mobil 1. There was no Dexos then, so GM had no financial stake in Mobil 1. Think they recommended Mobil 1 just to make you pay more for an oil change? I don’t think so. Don
Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I like Pennzoil oil as much if not more than Mobile one, I have been using it since I tried it in the 90's in all kinds of engines mostly high milers.

When I bought my truck in 2012 I didn't use it because at the time it wasn't dexos certified but now that it is certified I will use it in the truck and in my corvette.

I had a few problems with Castrol and on 2 different occasions, now I won't use it at all.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I've never used this oil, and Its probably difficult to compare the performance of various synthetic oils against each other in everyday driving. I had a repair done to my daily driver Honda which required the oil to be replaced. I didn't want to pay the high cost of the dealers synthetic, which is Penzoil Platinum, so I had them use their regular stock. I'd been running Mobil One for years and when I changed the oil it was much blacker than I'm used to seeing it running less miles on the change. I use synthetic oil in every engine I have from a two-cycle trimmer to my lawn mower.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I will continue to stay with Mobil 1 Ext Performance and not think about all of the other possibilities.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Let me say in advance, none of my comments are intended to stir the pot. Oil seems always end up in debate here and other enthusiast forums. There is a very active 'oil community' with lots of knowledge over at www.bobistheoilguy.com (BITOG)

I'd recommend doing some reading in the BITOG passenger car section before drawing conclusions regarding modern oil formulations based on 'common knowledge' from even 5 years ago. Sure, not everything has changed, but there has been a lot of evolution in motor oil relatively recently.

Here's one example. For us C7 owners and other DI engines, the lack of fuel wash over the intake valves can lead to significant deposit problems if the PCV system isn't up to the task. For this DI reason, the NOACK volatility, for example, is one of the most important ways to help reduce the rate of deposit. And this is only one of the areas improved by recent advances in formulation.

And there are many other attributes for motor oil performance that need to be balanced like fuel economy (both in regards to viscosity as well as reduction in additives that reduce catalyst life), wear, etc. And cost...

The reality is probably that any properly certified modern motor from a reputable manufacturer in the semi to full synthetic class will cover 99% of normal use on recommended drain intervals. For racing or other extremes (super hot, super cold, high loads, etc.) there will be oils whose formulation and additive packages will be tailored to those cases. These are typically the full synthetics, and this is where opinions are even more polarized regarding base stocks and other variables.

I personally use Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra over Mobil1 (based on my research on BITOG). I use good filters from Wix or Mobil1. I typically go 5k miles on an oil change. And this is probably way too frequently since I do have used oil analysis (UOA) done on all my cars trough Blackstone. All reports are very good, and they always advise that I can go at LEAST 7k miles based on my results (both TBN and wear metals). But these are my results, and certainly others' may vary.

So in the end, my only advice is to read up on some current information from reputable sources before rushing to judgment on all this new fangle oil mumbo jumbo...

The dexos1 and the ILSAC GF-5 are recent evolutions, and the spider chart below indicates the similarities and differences.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I like Pennzoil oil as much if not more than Mobile one, I have been using it since I tried it in the 90's in all kinds of engines mostly high milers.

When I bought my truck in 2012 I didn't use it because at the time it wasn't dexos certified but now that it is certified I will use it in the truck and in my corvette.

I had a few problems with Castrol and on 2 different occasions, now I won't use it at all.
What problems did you have with the Castrol? It's a great oil!

Get notified of new replies

To Penzoil Platinum

Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I'm interested in hearing his Castrol problems as well. I've been using Castrol in every gas 4stroke engine I've owned (small/auto/marine) since 1963 without any issues along the way. Started using it back then in my Triumph Cub Enduro dirt modded bike. Only my C6 and C7 have been otherwise with Mobil1.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pick a name brand - you will be fine. I will use Mobil1 solely to give GM no chance to back off on a warranty issue because I "used the wrong oil"
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The first time I used 5 30 full synthetic in a VW it vanished out of the engine it was so thin no leaks no smoke, just 3 quarts missing after 100 miles of driving in town.

The 2nd time I used regular castrol to break in a newly rebuilt engine, at 50 miles the oil pressure dropped to nothing after changing the oil the pressure popped right back where it was.

Never again, I love john force and all but not what he is selling

Quick Reply: Penzoil Platinum