Front Aero Panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Aero Panel

The Chevrolet Accessories web page for C7 Corvette shows one item identified as the "Front Aero Panel". The image looks like a big rectangular face that mounts in the center of the grille on which you put your front licence plate.

The panel looks nicer than most of the other license mounts, but it also looks larger - even to the point of making me a little concerned that it might restrict airflow and affect cooling.

I guess I shouldn't be too worried since the part is being offered on the Chevrolet Parts Page so it must have been tested on a lot of cars before being offered for sale.

Still, I'd like to hear from others who may have purchased and installed this part.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

There are several threads about this already but my Z51 came with both the aero panel and front license plate mount.

The plate mount is ugly IMHO so I opted to mod the aero panel and mount my front plate that way (GM warns about doing this but only because some states' laws don't allow placing the plate that low to the ground. No problem in OR however).

I've had ZERO issues with engine overheating issues, even in 111 degree heat with the aero panel on. I've never had the engine temp go above 220 under those circumstances but is usually around 205 or so

Before and after
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2014, 02:15 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You can trim the aero panel down (as shown by C7Jake) to the size of the plate to increase the open area of the grille by about 25% over what it is with the full panel installed. Then you should not have any overheating problems at all. I drove mine on a trip in Texas heat and it still only got to about 212 deg. when moving.

NOTE: The aero panel appears to block a smaller part of the grille than it really does since the outside sections of the stock grille are not even open to airflow.

An estimated area added would be about 2" x 2" x 2 on each side (16 sq. in.) plus maybe 1/2" x 12" x 2 across for top and bottom (12 sq. in.), for a total of approx. 28 sq. in.. (I think there would also be some extra air flow around the edge of the plate and behind it, but I won't count that)

The open area of the grille with the aero panel in place is about 2" x 7" x 4 = 56 sq. in.

percent increase = approx. 28/56 =50%

For reference, the area of the plate is about 12" x 6-1\4" = 75 sq. in., but the open area of the grille behind the plate is less than that.
Best guess is that with the aero panel installed, the open area of the grill is reduced by 50%, and by trimming the panel, it opens approximately 25% more by allowing air flow around the plate. 75% open instead of 50%. Conservatively, it probably opens at least 15%, or 65% total open area.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-28-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:01 PM
energystar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You can trim the aero panel down (as shown by C7Jake) to the size of the plate to increase the open area of the grille by about 25% over what it is with the full panel installed. Then you should not have any overheating problems at all. I drove mine on a trip in Texas heat and it still only got to about 212 deg. when moving.

NOTE: The aero panel appears to block a smaller part of the grille than it really does since the outside sections of the stock grille are not even open to airflow.

An estimated area added would be about 2" x 2" x 2 on each side (16 sq. in.) plus maybe 1/2" x 12" x 2 across for top and bottom (12 sq. in.), for a total of approx. 28 sq. in.. (I think there would also be some extra air flow around the edge of the plate and behind it, but I won't count that)

The open area of the grille with the aero panel in place is about 2" x 7" x 4 = 56 sq. in.

percent increase = approx. 28/56 =50%

For reference, the area of the plate is about 12" x 6-1\4" = 75 sq. in., but the open area of the grille behind the plate is less than that.
Best guess is that with the aero panel installed, the open area of the grill is reduced by 50%, and by trimming the panel, it opens approximately 25% more by allowing air flow around the plate. 75% open instead of 50%. Conservatively, it probably opens at least 15%, or 65% total open area.
so does the areo option [$160.00] only include this piece that takes the place or can be used as a plate holder...isn't this way too expensive when you can get it for 40 bucks [this is what one poster said it costs] at the parts counter...
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by energystar
so does the areo option [$160.00] only include this piece that takes the place or can be used as a plate holder...isn't this way too expensive when you can get it for 40 bucks [this is what one poster said it costs] at the parts counter...
Someone posted that the $160 option is painted carbon flash instead of just black....
When I ordered 22830069, it has the black mount and the "Corvette" cover, which is not needed with the license plate. You have to get the fasteners separately.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwhite
The Chevrolet Accessories web page for C7 Corvette shows one item identified as the "Front Aero Panel". The image looks like a big rectangular face that mounts in the center of the grille on which you put your front licence plate.

The panel looks nicer than most of the other license mounts, but it also looks larger - even to the point of making me a little concerned that it might restrict airflow and affect cooling.

I guess I shouldn't be too worried since the part is being offered on the Chevrolet Parts Page so it must have been tested on a lot of cars before being offered for sale.

Still, I'd like to hear from others who may have purchased and installed this part.
For what it is worth, here is a video of a GM Representative explaining the Aero Panel

Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
There are several threads about this already but my Z51 came with both the aero panel and front license plate mount.

The plate mount is ugly IMHO so I opted to mod the aero panel and mount my front plate that way (GM warns about doing this but only because some states' laws don't allow placing the plate that low to the ground. No problem in OR however).

I've had ZERO issues with engine overheating issues, even in 111 degree heat with the aero panel on. I've never had the engine temp go above 220 under those circumstances but is usually around 205 or so

Before and after
Hi , what size drill did you use? Someone mentioned self tapping screws which means what? No drilling at all? What size screw did you use? Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Hi , what size drill did you use? Someone mentioned self tapping screws which means what? No drilling at all? What size screw did you use? Thanks
Just use self tapping license plate screws. You can use a sharp punch to start the hole if desired.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Front Aero Panel

Quick Reply: Front Aero Panel