C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you still buy a new Corvette with a door ding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 AM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pass on it as I have on new cars in the past.

I remember when I got a gash in the hood of my new at the time 91 Camaro they painted the hood front and fenders. They said they had to make it blend. I only needed the hood painted.

I sold the car soon after...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C7cmnthru
Doesnt matter what any of us would do. Sounds like you already know what you want to do. If its going to pi$$ you off every time you look at the car, then you should consider not taking delivery. You could have the repair made and then make your decision. And orange peel can be made better with wet sanding if you want to go thru the cost and time.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by miltonb
I went and looked at my corvette that i should pick up this week. It has a door ding on it. I am pretty paticular about my cars and feel that i will never get the paint job like the factory. It also appears to have quite a bit of orange peel.

What would you do?
Get them to fix it and take the car. You will get a lot more chips and scratches during your ownership. Every car has orange peel.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I suppose everyone has their opinions, but lets be rational about this.

A door ding that occurred during shipping.

1. Refuse delivery? Then what? Order another?

2. Have it repaired to your satisfaction at no charge to you?

Price of the vehicle has zero bearing since accidents can and do happen regardless of purchase price. It's not a crushed fender, broken suspension, mashed top, fire or water damaged, it's a door ding.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I suppose everyone has their opinions, but lets be rational about this.

A door ding that occurred during shipping.

1. Refuse delivery? Then what? Order another?

2. Have it repaired to your satisfaction at no charge to you?

Price of the vehicle has zero bearing since accidents can and do happen regardless of purchase price. It's not a crushed fender, broken suspension, mashed top, fire or water damaged, it's a door ding.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:14 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have no idea where everyone gets this idea that "factory paint jobs" are better than your local GOOD body shop. It is always better locally, if the guy is a pro.....a new car can be matched PERFECTLY by someone with computerized spraying and skill.
Some courteous citizen in a truck backed into my DSOM C6 cracking the front bumper with his tow hitch right under the emblem. Instead of repairing the crack I opted to get a new bumper painted to match with no blending.

Metallic paint you can imagine my apprehension. Went to a local body shop and they did a really beautiful job. Aside from the lessened orange peel on the bumper, the difference was imperceptible.

If you have patience, then pass on it and reorder.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Before I would hand them the check, I would expect them to have a professional high end body shop repair the paint and ding to "your" satisfaction. Then they should discount the car or offer an additional year of maintenance.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

If I was a dealer and this is 15...I would tell you that I would fix it to where you could not tell and for the wait, give you $100 credit toward some accessories. If you pitched a bitch and wanted more, I'd let you back out of the deal and resell it to someone else that won't know....and therby not chance a bad CSI survey you might give me.

the cars are hot enuf that I'd take that route.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Zeus Christo! The reality is a factory paint job is better than a bodyshop paint job. The factory has hepa filters and ionic charging. Sorry Glen E. You probably have alot more detailing experience than I do but every repaint I have seen has runs and fish eyes more so than any factory paint job I have ever seen. Not only that, if you have a black car the swirls and scratches will bother you. I have not ever seen a black car over 5 years old that didn't have visible scratches and swirl.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Hey Zeus Christo! The reality is a factory paint job is better than a bodyshop paint job. The factory has hepa filters and ionic charging. Sorry Glen E. You probably have alot more detailing experience than I do but every repaint I have seen has runs and fish eyes more so than any factory paint job I have ever seen. Not only that, if you have a black car the swirls and scratches will bother you. I have not ever seen a black car over 5 years old that didn't have visible scratches and swirl.
well, about 10 people above prove that many shops can do the job....no need to apologize to me - you have just dealt with bad shops...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

How about I pick out your next body shop Glen. The reality is there are great body shops and crappy ones. Pure and
simple. If you need paint or body work done it's a risk. If you have the option to walk away from a known defect why not...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
How about I pick out your next body shop Glen. The reality is there are great body shops and crappy ones. Pure and
simple. If you need paint or body work done it's a risk. If you have the option to walk away from a known defect why not...
because as said above so well by JimB100 and 1SG, it's a friggin ding that anyone can fix, if it's not fixed to your satisfaction, then walk...but to throw a tantrum before the dealer gets a shot to fix it is ridiculous...

Last edited by Glen e; 09-29-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Did I say that EVERY repaint I've seen has runs and/or fish eyes? That is the truth no matter how careful the paint is. Hepa filters are proven to reduce these defect significantly. And you know it. They will have to reclear the whole panel which increases the chances for runs and fish eyes. How about you buy his car? LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

"Hepa filters"....ridiculous diatribe here...you walk...ok with me,,,,
Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

because as said above so well by JimB100 and 1SG, it's a friggin ding that anyone can fix, if it's not fixed to your satisfaction, then walk...but to throw a tantrum before the dealer gets a shot to fix it is ridiculous...
Then like others have said. Let them try to fix it and see the results then make a decision. I totally agree with that approach. I had a 98 Trans Am where the dealership body shop did a great job repainting and polishing where the car looked new but when washed the car the paint was so soft that it would swirl with the lightest touch. I mean finger touch. It was ridiculous. The swirl was horrendous even with the softest of towels/chamois.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 09-29-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

"Hepa filters"....ridiculous diatribe here...you walk...ok with me,,,,
LOL have you ever seen or worked in a cleanroom? That's what they use in factories to minimize defects. I know alot about paint. Maybe not as much as you in terms of detailing but I probably know more about the factory application and controls. My brother worked at Ford as a chemical engineer and a friend worked at GM as a paint engineer. If you do not have complete cleanliness you will have fish eyes. And many bumpers are painted elsewhere. If you look at Rick Conti's Shark Gray and Brownstone pics you will see the metallic paint does not match well at all even from the factory. The reason being is they don't pain the bumper in the same orientation as the adjacent panels. Hence the metallic flakes don't align and the shade of paint looks very off. You might know about detailing but I know about paint.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 09-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Look Glen E

The shade of color between the back bumper and quarter panel are significantly different from the factory. This is using the known paint code. What makes you think a color match system will orient the metal flakes miraculously in a random bodyshop paint job? Directional lighting makes a huge difference. The reason for the difference in shade is the direction of the flakes and the fact that the bumpers are painted in a different setting/orientation than the other panels because they have to have the flex agent.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 09-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you still buy a new Corvette with a door ding?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Anyone? How about I fix your next ding or chip when I'm hungover or in a hurry to get home? Just pull it up to my home garage I'll fix it perfect between beers. LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Come on Glen show me your paint knowledge. You scoffed at hepa filters but that is what any major car company uses. You scoffed at metallic paint matching requiring blending but I guarantee you that you could not match a shark grey or blade silver paint job when checked with directional lighting. I'm pretty sure most car companies probably pay you more than what you are making if you could guarantee a perfect paint match in directional lighting on a metallic paint job.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 09-30-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Bumpers, ever since the time of "flexible" bumpers have been frequently (if not always) a slightly different color than the body of the car. That goes back to the early- mid-70s Corvettes as well as other cars---and even cars with no metal flake, and painted in the same factory paint shop (if that's where they were painted).

Quick Reply: Would you still buy a new Corvette with a door ding?