Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Museum Delivery Question

A guy I spoke with yesterday, just drove his museum delivered 2015 coupe 1,100 miles. He said he had to drop it off at the dealer for the
'pre delivery inspection'. I thought that would have been done prior to
the museum pick up.
I have no faith in my selling dealer, at this time. I really would like to never see them again after doing the paperwork prior to my museum delivery.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
A guy I spoke with yesterday, just drove his museum delivered 2015 coupe 1,100 miles. He said he had to drop it off at the dealer for the
'pre delivery inspection'. I thought that would have been done prior to
the museum pick up.
I have no faith in my selling dealer, at this time. I really would like to never see them again after doing the paperwork prior to my museum delivery.
Not true. The museum does all of the PDI. However, once you drive the car from the museum back to Texas, it does have to be "Green Sheet" inspected by a Texas Inspection Station. That Green Sheet certification (no longer green!!) has to be filed with the title application at the county tax office to get your license plates and windshield sticker. That guy probably meant that he was bringing the car back to the dealer to do the Green Sheet inspection by the dealership's state inspector and the dealership is probably filing for title and license plates on his behalf. But all of the PDI will already has been done by the museum.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

He told me they needed the car for the whole day, to do the PDI.
I plan to take my car to an independent inspection station. Can that be done with a new vehicle? I'm paying for the license, at the dealer prior to taking delivery.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Whatever dealer your friend took his car to does not know what they are talking about. The NCM does the PDI. As GOLD72 said, you will need a "Green Sheet" inspection. Call your independent inspection station, they should know what a "green sheet" inspection is. BTW, this inspection is a safety inspection only - it does not need a smog inspection because it is a new car being registered for the first time. To register, you will need the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). The selling dealer must provide this to you. In addition, you will need to fill out a Form 130-U. Take the inspection report, the MSO and Form 130-U to your county tax assessor, pay your tax and get your tag.

My inspection after my NCM delivery and drive home to Texas took all of 10 minutes.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Whatever dealer your friend took his car to does not know what they are talking about. The NCM does the PDI. As GOLD72 said, you will need a "Green Sheet" inspection. Call your independent inspection station, they should know what a "green sheet" inspection is. BTW, this inspection is a safety inspection only - it does not need a smog inspection because it is a new car being registered for the first time. To register, you will need the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). The selling dealer must provide this to you. In addition, you will need to fill out a Form 130-U. Take the inspection report, the MSO and Form 130-U to your county tax assessor, pay your tax and get your tag.

My inspection after my NCM delivery and drive home to Texas took all of 10 minutes.
I have bought 3 vettes from out of state dealers with NCM delivery. The out of state selling dealer is to give you the MSO and final sales paperwork after final payment to the Seller. You need that MSO, "Green Sheet" inspection certificate, sales agreement copy, proof of insurance, etc to file for your own title and license plates if your in-Texas selling dealer isn't doing it for you.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

A..........I have no faith in my selling dealer, at this time. I really would like to never see them again after doing the paperwork prior to my museum delivery.
Did you buy from a Houston area dealer or in-Texas dealer?? That is how I interpreted your first post.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

FYI - Also be aware that the car, since it was driven from BG to Texas prior to its "green sheet" first inspection, will no longer qualify for the usual 2-year purple inspection sticker that in-state delivered new cars get. However, at the first year anniversary, the car will only have to be safety inspected and not emission checked since new cars are exempt for the first two years. It will be in the DPS state computer network in Austin when you get that first year anniversary inspection.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Did you buy from a Houston area dealer or in-Texas dealer?? That is how I interpreted your first post.
I ordered my C7 from a local Houston dealer.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

I ordered my C7 from a local Houston dealer.
Since that is the case, is the Houston selling dealer giving you the MSO?? If he doesn't give it to you, that would mean that he intends to collect the state sales tax and other statutory fees from you (assuming he hasn't already), do the initial "green sheet" inspection and file the paperwork with the county for your title and registration. The only way you can do this yourself is if he agrees to give you the MSO.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

The only thing I want from my selling dealer, if the pre delivery inspection is being done by the museum, is my license plate.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

The only thing I want from my selling dealer, if the pre delivery inspection is being done by the museum, is my license plate.
You will need some proof that you have paid for the car.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Fluid Doc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this on the bottom of my car while doing the first oil change the other day.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
You will need some proof that you have paid for the car.
I have to pay for it, get a temp license plate, and a letter of release, from my dealer, before I can pick the car up at the museum. I also have to show proof of insurance.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Dealer can't issue you your permanent plate unless your car is inspected. Is your dealer handling the payment of the sales tax and registering with the state? Or are you going to do that yourself?
Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Dealer can't issue you your permanent plate unless your car is inspected. Is your dealer handling the payment of the sales tax and registering with the state? Or are you going to do that yourself?
I plan to get my car inspected myself. I am paying the tax to the dealer. My dealer seems to think they need my car for a full day to do the state inspection, and the PDI, after museum delivery.
All I want from them is a license plate. If they will be kind enough (which I doubt) I will go to the DMV and get my own license plates.

Last edited by Tom/99; 10-01-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

I plan to get my car inspected myself. I am paying the tax to the dealer. My dealer seems to think they need my car for a full day to do the state inspection, and the PDI, after museum delivery.
All I want from them is a license plate. If they will be kind enough (which I doubt) I will go to the DMV and get my own license plates.

Well, good luck. You should be able to take proof of insurance, and a photo ID to any inspection station to get your green sheet inspection. Since the dealer is collecting the sales tax, they are going to have to complete the registration process. Take the green sheet inspection report to the dealership and tell them to send you the plates when they get them. There is no need for the dealer to do anything to the car.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Well, good luck. You should be able to take proof of insurance, and a photo ID to any inspection station to get your green sheet inspection. Since the dealer is collecting the sales tax, they are going to have to complete the registration process. Take the green sheet inspection report to the dealership and tell them to send you the plates when they get them. There is no need for the dealer to do anything to the car.
Thank you!!

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery Question

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery Question