Sponsored by:

Constraint Reports

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The % indicates the nationwide % of orders for this cycle that will be allowed to have the given option. So, for example the standard roof at 40% means that on a nationwide basis, only 40% of the allocations given to dealers will include the standard roof. The results for an individual dealer may vary substantially from this 40% figure. For example, they may get lucky and have their only allocation allow the painted roof (so, 100% for them). On the other hand, they might be unlucky and get no painted roofs out of 4 allocations (0% for them). It seems that the larger dealers tend to get a slightly higher percentage and smaller dealers tend to get a smaller percentage.

When dealers are given their allocations, they know exactly which allocations allow which constraint items.
Is it reasonable to think that if a dealer takes an order, and they are being on the up and up, that they know a particular order, for them, is subject to constraint? For example, does a dealer know, when they take an order which includes a painted roof, that they have an allocation which includes a painted roof?

When in the process, if at all, does a dealer know that part of a particular order cannot be filled?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by probono
Is it reasonable to think that if a dealer takes an order, and they are being on the up and up, that they know a particular order, for them, is subject to constraint? For example, does a dealer know, when they take an order which includes a painted roof, that they have an allocation which includes a painted roof?

When in the process, if at all, does a dealer know that part of a particular order cannot be filled?

Thanks,

Ken
Ok, here's a little bit of a primer on Corvette ordering 101. First of all, realize that any dealer authorized to deal in vettes (there are some training and equipment requirements, so not all Chevy dealers are authorized,) can place an order in the system at any time for any of the four vette models, with any orderable options. This gets a six character order number and an order status of 1100, order entered by dealer. This means nothing beyond the order has been correctly typed into the computer.

Second, every two weeks or so, GM has a consensus cycle. This is where GM tells each dealer what cars they can order and what options are allowed. It is accompanied by a constraint report which shows any options with limited ordering, expressed as a percentage of total production. So if the CFA standard roof is constrained at 40%, then no more than 40 of every 100 coupes produced can have that roof option. The rest must be either the visible Carbon Fiber roof, which is also usually constrained, or the CC3 transparent roof. The production slots the dealers get are called allocations, and will come with specific numbers on constrained options. For example, "3 coupes, 2 may have CFA painted roof, none may have C2Z Carbon Fiber roof. Only 1 may have Z51 package. 1 Z06, either coupe or convertible, may not have Z07 package."

How many allocations your dealer gets will depend on his yearly expected allocation, as well as his unsold inventory of vettes. If it's less than 20 cars for the year, they may not get an allocation during every consensus, much less one with constrained options. If it's only one car, and the option is constrained at less than 50%, than there is a less than even chance he can order that option on the car. He won't know until the Thursday that the cycle starts. Everything gets finalized over the weekend, and by Tuesday afternoon, all the orders matched to allocations move to Status 2000, "Order accepted by GM." If your order has options he can't order, you can either change your order (if the dealer gives you that option,) wait for the next cycle, or go elsewhere. The dealer can go down his waiting list to find an order that does match the constraints, order for dealer stock, or pass on the allocation.

Hope this gives you a little insight.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:37 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks fdxpilot. Great summary.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Best summary I've heard! 3300 with a TPW of 1/19 and counting!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Ok, here's a little bit of a primer on Corvette ordering 101. First of all, realize that any dealer authorized to deal in vettes (there are some training and equipment requirements, so not all Chevy dealers are authorized,) can place an order in the system at any time for any of the four vette models, with any orderable options. This gets a six character order number and an order status of 1100, order entered by dealer. This means nothing beyond the order has been correctly typed into the computer.

Second, every two weeks or so, GM has a consensus cycle. This is where GM tells each dealer what cars they can order and what options are allowed. It is accompanied by a constraint report which shows any options with limited ordering, expressed as a percentage of total production. So if the CFA standard roof is constrained at 40%, then no more than 40 of every 100 coupes produced can have that roof option. The rest must be either the visible Carbon Fiber roof, which is also usually constrained, or the CC3 transparent roof. The production slots the dealers get are called allocations, and will come with specific numbers on constrained options. For example, "3 coupes, 2 may have CFA painted roof, none may have C2Z Carbon Fiber roof. Only 1 may have Z51 package. 1 Z06, either coupe or convertible, may not have Z07 package."

How many allocations your dealer gets will depend on his yearly expected allocation, as well as his unsold inventory of vettes. If it's less than 20 cars for the year, they may not get an allocation during every consensus, much less one with constrained options. If it's only one car, and the option is constrained at less than 50%, than there is a less than even chance he can order that option on the car. He won't know until the Thursday that the cycle starts. Everything gets finalized over the weekend, and by Tuesday afternoon, all the orders matched to allocations move to Status 2000, "Order accepted by GM." If your order has options he can't order, you can either change your order (if the dealer gives you that option,) wait for the next cycle, or go elsewhere. The dealer can go down his waiting list to find an order that does match the constraints, order for dealer stock, or pass on the allocation.

Hope this gives you a little insight.
Very good explanation. When does the next cycle start?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:02 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
Very good explanation. When does the next cycle start?
Just my guess, but Jan 8. They start on Thursdays, but I don't think they will have one on New Year's Day.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Just my guess, but Jan 8. They start on Thursdays, but I don't think they will have one on New Year's Day.
Yep... should be the 8th and 22nd. Hopefully macmulkin can put my order in on one of those dates. They received my deposit on the 22nd
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 AM
jcuff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
Yep... should be the 8th and 22nd. Hopefully macmulkin can put my order in on one of those dates. They received my deposit on the 22nd
I am in the same boat. My deposit is with MacMulkin and I am hoping the order goes through Thursday (fingers crossed). Good luck!

Joe
Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 AM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by docf
Same here...found out yesterday..my DSOM 2LT Z51 has same build week.
Hope there's no changes or delays.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:09 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by docf
Thanks. On my 3rd new vette in as many years, and have gotten a chance to see the system at work (or not working, as the case may be.) I'm a week behind you with my Z. Good luck to all the eager new owners!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I really appreciate the angst of waiting...I'm in the same boat, but just interested in knowing how many of you guys were on the HD "waiting lists" during the 90s?

I had a '91, '93, '97 and '99 HD in the day...hype and hyperbole and all, but somehow it evolved...AND...even bought them at the unheard discount...

When a company gets itself into the "we're special" mode, the sales are...well...special.

Ken
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
hookem79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got my allocation this am. Has anyone seen the constraints??
Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jcuff
I am in the same boat. My deposit is with MacMulkin and I am hoping the order goes through Thursday (fingers crossed). Good luck!

Joe
Hopefully this month brother!

If not this one, I'm pretty certain we'll make the next one. If anything it would be a month. Then we're looking at march time....
Old 01-08-2015, 02:04 PM
jcuff
Advanced

Originally Posted by 11B250
Hopefully this month brother!

If not this one, I'm pretty certain we'll make the next one. If anything it would be a month. Then we're looking at march time....
It looks like I did not make the cut today if today was a Z06 day. But it looks like I should be in on the next one. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
drryanhanson
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hookem79
Finally got my allocation this am. Has anyone seen the constraints??
Yes - has anyone see the constraints yet? my dealer said I got the Z06 allocation but is waiting will constraints come out next week--
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM
JohnRI
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the Bi-Weekly Thursday GM order entry cycle start today or is it next Thursday, the 15th? I signed the order paperwork for a Z51 Laguna Blue Vert on 12/31 and salesman had said Thursday the 8th was their order day but he was off today so I can't confirm. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRI
Did the Bi-Weekly Thursday GM order entry cycle start today or is it next Thursday, the 15th? I signed the order paperwork for a Z51 Laguna Blue Vert on 12/31 and salesman had said Thursday the 8th was their order day but he was off today so I can't confirm. Thanks!
I just spoke to my dealer today and he stated their allocations were coming up next Thursday, not today. (I had thought they were every week, not bi-weekly)? And looking at the first post, it appears they've been weekly in the past. They are just behind as the last 2 Thursday's have been holidays.

Get notified of new replies

To Constraint Reports

Old 01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
hookem79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My dealer emailed me his allocations yesterday which included a Z06 just waiting to hear if the order is accepted. I don't know what the current constraints are.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:33 AM
hookem79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Copy of part of the email

Subject: 161005 - January 2015 Consensus Cycle 1 Begins

Consensus Cycle 1 begins Thursday at 7 a.m. ET.

Please submit Consensus in Order Workbench before the cycle closes on Monday at 9 p.m. ET.

CHEVC MY EST SHIP

CHEVSS 2015 0
CAM 2015 0
CAMCON 2015 0
CRUZE 2015 0
IMPALA 2015 2
MALIBU 2015 0
SONIC 2015 0
SPARK 2015 0
VOLT 2015 1
VET 2015 0
Z06 2015 1

TOTAL CHEVC 4

----------------------

CHEVT MY EST SHIP

TRAX 2015 0
CITYXP 2015 1
EQUINX 2015 0
CREGLD 2015 1
CDBLLD 2015 0
CCRULD 2015 13
CREGHD 2015 0
CDBLHD 2015 0
CCRUHD 2015 2
COLRDO 2015 3
TRAVRS 2015 5
TAHOE 2015 10
SUBURB 2015 0
EXPVAN 2015 0

TOTAL CHEVT 35

----------------------
Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Fear The Fork
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My order is going in next Thursday, the15th, along with 2 others. Dealer has 8 allocations according to the salesman.

Last edited by Fear The Fork; 01-12-2015 at 01:17 PM.