Insulate a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:11 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Default Insulate a C7?

I owned a C5 and C6 and now looking to buy a C7. I insulated the wheel wells and cabin of each car for heat rejection and road noise. Is there a need to do this with the new generation?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:31 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

What did you use to insulate the wheel wells?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I assume he means around the inside of the wheel wells in the interior of the car, under the carpet. This was popular in C5s for noise reduction. I did it in mine and used a foil-faced foam matting and dynamat. It worked well if done right

And to answer the thread... I've found no need so far, especially since I plan on moving to non runflats after these stockers are done. But it is something I may look into in the future, especially if pre-cut kits become available... It's just so easy that way that it becomes more of a question of why not?

Last edited by mdiiulio; 10-05-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

The outer wheel wells in the C7 are covered in a carpet-like material. It does a good job of cutting down the road noise, although I doubt it does anything for heat rejection.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Sneakytoot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heat rejection

Originally Posted by waunavet
I owned a C5 and C6 and now looking to buy a C7. I insulated the wheel wells and cabin of each car for heat rejection and road noise. Is there a need to do this with the new generation?
No need to insulate the exhaust tunnel as GM has put the product Areogel
which keeps it real cool went on a trip 900 miles straight and no heat inside car.Z51 coupe...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:02 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Absolutely!! I installed a full insulation kit on my C6 coupe and ran it about 5 yrs...made a world of difference (on the road noise) and improved even more when I replaced the GY fun flats w/ Firestone A/W. Fast forward to Mar 2014 when I sold the C6 and got the C7 coupe: Road noise is still a major factor! I have so far not been able to locate an insulation kit for the C7 coupe...but it needs it badly depending on the road surface of where you live (and drive). Again, I think the factory RF tires are also a factor..
Old 10-06-2014, 11:36 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
Absolutely!! I installed a full insulation kit on my C6 coupe and ran it about 5 yrs...made a world of difference (on the road noise) and improved even more when I replaced the GY fun flats w/ Firestone A/W. Fast forward to Mar 2014 when I sold the C6 and got the C7 coupe: Road noise is still a major factor! I have so far not been able to locate an insulation kit for the C7 coupe...but it needs it badly depending on the road surface of where you live (and drive). Again, I think the factory RF tires are also a factor..
You're not the only one searching. Did it on my C5, worked great. After I run through these runflats I'll see if I still want deadening with non-runflats mounted.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
The outer wheel wells in the C7 are covered in a carpet-like material.
So that's between the wheel well and the tire, not inside the engine bay or cabin?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
So that's between the wheel well and the tire, not inside the engine bay or cabin?
Yes that's correct. Outside
Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
What did you use to insulate the wheel wells?
Dynamat. Gotta use something that won't absorb water. Also on the C5 and C6, the space around the gas filler pipe allows a lot of noise to enter the cabin. When I talked about insulating the wheel wells, I meant putting material under the liner. Couldn't use material over 3/8 thick in those cars.
Where's Crazy Cowboy with his frost king-like material for the cabin area? Not the best solution but certainly the easiest and most price conscious way to tackle the job. The key to reducing road/tire noise inside the car is to reduce vibration.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '20

Absolutley no question about the RF's being louder than non RF's. To see if insulation might help quiet your car.....take a couple opened sleeping bags and spread them across the rear carpet and wheel humps. Then drive down the freeway on some worn, non-grooved cement pavement. Hear that? It's your Bose radio with some bass!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Dynamat. Gotta use something that won't absorb water. Also on the C5 and C6, the space around the gas filler pipe allows a lot of noise to enter the cabin. When I talked about insulating the wheel wells, I meant putting material under the liner. Couldn't use material over 3/8 thick in those cars.
Where's Crazy Cowboy with his frost king-like material for the cabin area? Not the best solution but certainly the easiest and most price conscious way to tackle the job. The key to reducing road/tire noise inside the car is to reduce vibration.
I talked w/ Crazy Cowboy a few months ago (when I first got the C7) and at the time he had been unable to locate a "donor" car in order to make the patterns...seems no new C7 owners in FL are willing to part with the the baby for a few days while the interior is totally dismantled...

Meanwhile back in TX...seems like the state is on one big austerity kick and is using a road re-surface technique called "chip and seal". This creates a rough road surface and increases noise level inside the car by about 300%. Thank you for those savings in tax dollars!!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

I talked w/ Crazy Cowboy a few months ago (when I first got the C7) and at the time he had been unable to locate a "donor" car in order to make the patterns...seems no new C7 owners in FL are willing to part with the the baby for a few days while the interior is totally dismantled...

Meanwhile back in TX...seems like the state is on one big austerity kick and is using a road re-surface technique called "chip and seal". This creates a rough road surface and increases noise level inside the car by about 300%. Thank you for those savings in tax dollars!!
I live in Lago Vista and could not agree with you more. Texas seems to have the the record for noisy road surfaces.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Rattetrap Xtreme...well worth it

Last edited by C8Jake; 12-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:15 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Used Fat Matt behind seats and cargo area big difference in quality of Stereo and road noise 2 hours of work and 60 bucks in stuff
Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

This was done by me and others a few months ago and posted here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ening-mod.html

Get notified of new replies

To Insulate a C7?

Quick Reply: Insulate a C7?