Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Alpia PA4 vs Pilot Sport A/S3

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 AM
christresslar
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Alpia PA4 vs Pilot Sport A/S3

My Z51 C7 is my everyday driver in central Indiana. Has anyone run alpia pa4 on cold dry pavement or sport a/s3 in snow? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I've been studying these for the last few days. The PA4 is a true winter tire, whereas the AS3 is an all season. That said, if you read the reviews there are many things to consider. I live in Michigan and share the same weather with you. After a grueling analysis I went with the winter tire, but with the Pirellli Sotozero, which has a similar tread pattern as the PA4. And, you get a 295 for the rear. What got me off the fence is I pulled out of the 45* garage yesterday and the car felt like it was moving on 4 blocks of ice! They aren't kidding about this summer tire business. Once the tires warmed up they were fine, but it was 60* outside. I don't expect to put more than 500 miles on them over the winter, so treadwear is not an issue for me.

Pirelli--------

Michelin---------

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 10-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by christresslar
My Z51 C7 is my everyday driver in central Indiana. Has anyone run alpia pa4 on cold dry pavement or sport a/s3 in snow? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
All depends on what driving conditions you expect. Will you see much snow and ice?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

update...they are en route, ironically from Indiana....

no idea how many of these are available...move fast if you decide to go this route.

thanks go to 'Lipps C5' for the tip on these....saved close to $600 compared to the Michelins.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 10-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in central Indiana as well, and i'm about to pull the trigger on the tire below.

Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S 3
Ultra High Performance All Season

I can get a full set for 910$ with my work discount. It's not a full winter tire though
Old 10-07-2014, 02:55 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

What did you pay for the Pirelli?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:00 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
What did you pay for the Pirelli?

235/40R19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 2010 Production, 240, N0 In Stock 2 $101.00 $202.00
Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($16.16 value. Exclusions apply.)
295/30R20 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240, N0(Porsche) In Stock 2 $380.00 $760.00
Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($60.80 value. Exclusions apply.)

Other Products
Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total
Retail Tire Registration Card In Stock 1 N/C N/C
Basic Limited Warranty In Stock 1 N/C N/C

Item(s) Total:
$962.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Excise Tax: $0.00
State Waste Tire Fund Fee: $0.00
Shipping: $62.66

Order Total:
$1,024.66

No Michigan sales tax washes out the shipping cost. Paid $100 for a spare set of sensors, and will pay around $60 for install onto my factory chrome wheels.....then will do the switching in my garage....can't come soon enough with these summer tires acting up already.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I live in central Indiana as well, and i'm about to pull the trigger on the tire below.

Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S 3
Ultra High Performance All Season

I can get a full set for 910$ with my work discount. It's not a full winter tire though
If you apply your discount to the PA4s, what is your net cost?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
If you apply your discount to the PA4s, what is your net cost?

not offered through the vendor I have.... The Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S 3 are my best option as it stands now. At least they are the best AS tire currently made
Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's last winter and spring here in Minnesota. They worked great on cleared pavement on my daily commute into the office. Some days I drove in temperatures down as low as -12. I have the luxury of having a 4wd pickup available if needed, so I avoid driving my Corvette when it is actively snowing and the road is not yet plowed (except the occasional parking lot or driveway), so I did not really put them to the test on any significant amounts of snow.

Getting to be about that time of the year to put them back on. I notice that the summer tires seem to break loose a lot easier on some of the cooler temperatures in the evenings these days.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:18 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RickMN
I ran the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's last winter and spring here in Minnesota. They worked great on cleared pavement on my daily commute into the office. Some days I drove in temperatures down as low as -12. I have the luxury of having a 4wd pickup available if needed, so I avoid driving my Corvette when it is actively snowing and the road is not yet plowed (except the occasional parking lot or driveway), so I did not really put them to the test on any significant amounts of snow.

Getting to be about that time of the year to put them back on. I notice that the summer tires seem to break loose a lot easier on some of the cooler temperatures in the evenings these days.

mine felt like they were squares instead of circles the other morning......
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
sdcnews
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 13 Posts

Default A/S 3 for me

I have been wondering about these 2 myself and here is what I have decided. I'm going with the A/S 3's because that gives me the option of leaving them on next year, I would then save my pilot super sport for the track. Of course, I could always change my mind and put the Pilot SS back on next year. If you go with the winter only tire, you must take it off for the summer. Anyway that is my $.02
Old 10-08-2014, 02:06 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sdcnews
I have been wondering about these 2 myself and here is what I have decided. I'm going with the A/S 3's because that gives me the option of leaving them on next year, I would then save my pilot super sport for the track. Of course, I could always change my mind and put the Pilot SS back on next year. If you go with the winter only tire, you must take it off for the summer. Anyway that is my $.02
but if you run two sets of wheels and tires it's easier than changing your oil!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

with my C6 I used Continental DWS AS, and they worked fantastic through 2 winters and I could drive through 3-4" of snow like it was nothing. From what I have read, the new Michelin AS are a upgrade. Looking forward to seeing how well the car does in the winter with a good set of tires and the new ELSD, and better weight distribution.

THANK YOU TEAM CORVETTE!

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Alpia PA4 vs Pilot Sport A/S3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Alpia PA4 vs Pilot Sport A/S3