Sponsored by:

Reclining seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reclining seats

I've only had my C7 for a few days (15, M7, Z51, Mag, NPP), and I love almost everything about it, even though it's not broken in yet. One of the things that surprised me is that the seat doesn't fully recline. My normal driving position is slightly reclined, but I though it would recline until it touched the carpet area.

I did a Forum search, checked the manual and did a Google search. Some one posted on the Forum that you could detach a two wire connector under the seat that would allow it to fully recline, but I'd rather not do that until figure out it doesn't recline in the first place. So, is this normal operation, or is there a setting I have set/failed to set that could affect this. I checked with my Chevy dealer, but they didn't have a clue. They check one in the showroom and it doesn't recline either.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

The seat back recline is one of the few issues I have with the C7. With a 36 inch inseam I need the seat back as far as possible, but when I do that the available recline is next to nothing. I wound up moving the seat up an inch, even though that makes my knees close to the dash, so I could get a few more degrees of incline. I haven't tried the wire disconnect thing yet, a bit leery if that would compromise the side air bags or hurt the seat motor if you go too far.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

There is a switch that if seat is to far back I think it cuts power to avoid damage to seatback.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by z51vett
There is a switch that if seat is to far back I think it cuts power to avoid damage to seatback.
z51vett
Doug
Guys, this issue is regardless of how far back or forward the seat is. I'm only '5"8, so the seat is pretty far forward, but even if I'm out of the seat and move it as far forward as possible, the seat back will not recline more than 5 - 7 degrees from vertical. My C6 would recline (manually) until it hit the carpeted bulkhead.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My 15 is like that as well. It does not recline much at all. My 4 previous C6's reclined all of the way back as well, until hitting the carpeted rear section. I also have to tilt the lower front cushion upwards, in order to get a few more degrees of recline; which is still not enough for me though. I am only 5'7, but like the back reclined all of way back.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

I posted about this problem way back in August 2013 after sitting in about 10 new Corvette's at Carlisle. GM knows this is a problem, particularly for tall folks. I want to recline....the limiting switch wont allow it to protect the seat motors and avoid warranty claims for over travel. Recently I have notice the threads about unplugging the sensor. Folks who have done it claim no faults or issues. GM engineers said last year at Carlisle and again this year that they were "working on a solution". They surely cant tell us to disconnect the sensor and defeat their own unit. I'd like to try an "unplugged" 2015 for fit to see if it helps make it possible for me to own one for distance driving....at 6'4" the C7 is just too small absent some sort of fix/solution.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
I posted about this problem way back in August 2013 after sitting in about 10 new Corvette's at Carlisle. GM knows this is a problem, particularly for tall folks. I want to recline....the limiting switch wont allow it to protect the seat motors and avoid warranty claims for over travel. Recently I have notice the threads about unplugging the sensor. Folks who have done it claim no faults or issues. GM engineers said last year at Carlisle and again this year that they were "working on a solution". They surely cant tell us to disconnect the sensor and defeat their own unit. I'd like to try an "unplugged" 2015 for fit to see if it helps make it possible for me to own one for distance driving....at 6'4" the C7 is just too small absent some sort of fix/solution.
I'm still debating on whether to try this or not. The seat back is fine for driving, and I would only use full recline is I had to pull over and rest due to fatigue.

If I do the sensor disconnect I'll post how it works out.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 AM
NINETY8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new info on the seat reclining issue?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Easy disconnect
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM
NINETY8
Instructor

Thanks for the picture, but what gets disconnected (the plug in the middle ?). Has anyone tried this and does it actually work?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yup,
Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
NINETY8
Instructor

Ok, I unplugged the central plug in the photo, but the seats don't recline anymore than they did before unplugging. Is there something else that has to be done to get the seats to recline more ?

Thanks !
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
MADMANC7
Instructor

I'm curious as well. I don't want to try this unless it lets the seat fully recline. From the way it acts it almost seem as though there's a physical stop in there somewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Reclining seats

Quick Reply: Reclining seats