Sponsored by:

Machine Car Wash...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Machine Car Wash...?

Years ago, my younger kids & I had great fun washing & waxing our beloved C5 convertible.

Now that they're off to college, & I'm much older & lazier, went thru my very first machine car wash today.
It's all cloth & hand dry.
My Z51 285 rear tires barely fit the tracks.

Still debating if it's a good idea to continue to use these car wash places in the long run....
Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Non rail car wash...

I use a non rail automatic car wash and it's all hand washed. The car sits on wide rubber belts that move it through each cycle. I'm in AZ so I don't know where you might find ones without rails. I'll never go through one with rails. The tires are too wide.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I agree about never going through one with rails. Not only is the tire width an issue, but so is clearance (both car and rims), and I would imagine messing with your alignment is at stake here, as well.

I regularly go through ones where your car sits still and the machinery goes around the car. I dry them off myself. I prefer touchless, but after 50,000 miles I have been known to cheat with the "soft-touch" types.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually one of my goals in life to open up a car wash that people who actually care about their cars can go to. Only car enthusiasts would work there so they know all the tricks when cleaning a car.

1. There car would get foamed/rinsed to remove/loosen up all the main dirt.
2. They would drive onto a conveyor belt where 2-3 people wash the car down with a wash mitt as they keep rinsing it to remove any embedded dust.
3. The car would get spotless rinsed and then blow dried with giant fans and any remaining water would be dried off by 2 guys at the end of the tunnel for an extra charge as an add-on.
4. Others can also add-on spray waxes, tire shine, polishing, Aquapel application, etc.

Sorry, I'm high right now and I'm feeling talkative.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When it's too damn hot & humid, I use Top Shine car wash & detailing service. They will detail your car for $125, which includes washing the car, clay bar & waxing, shampoo the carpets, clean & treat leather. They give extra attention to the wheels. Worth every penny!

I would never, never ever put my Corvette thru a machine car wash!

I thought the owner's manual said this was a NO, NO.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a "touchless" car wash all the time. The car stays stationary and the car wash unit moves around the car. There are 2 rails, one on each side, so the tires/wheels never touch one. This car wash is wide enough that I can wash the Suburban there without folding the mirrors in. I drive about 1 mile down the road to blow most of the water off and stop in a parking lot to towel dry the car. Works great and does a great job.

I tried the touchless wash at our local Sam's club but it has rails that center the car and guide it through the wash. The rear tires/wheels on my 08 ZO6 are too wide for the space between the rails. It worked fine the first time but on a subsequent visit I scratched a rear rim pretty good on one of the rails. I'd advise against this kind of wash.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I don't like taking mine through a machine wash...there are several car wash places in my area that do hand washes. Whenever I don't feel like doing it myself (like today ), I take it to them. For me, it's about 30 mins and $30, and I'm satisfied when they're done.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I wouldn't take my 17 year old C5 to an automatic car wash, let alone a brand new C7. Quickest way to ruin the clear coat I know of.

I would consider a true touchless car wash only if I was desperate.

I hand wash it when it is really dirty (very rare), otherwise Chadwick and done.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have to say once month I take it to the car wash, other weeks I wash it, and have no problems with them damaging the car, or the tracks not wide enough. Last week I had GS in front me, and he told me he bring it here once week with no damage.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I wouldn't take my 17 year old C5 to an automatic car wash, let alone a brand new C7. Quickest way to ruin the clear coat I know of.

I would consider a true touchless car wash only if I was desperate.

I hand wash it when it is really dirty (very rare), otherwise Chadwick and done.
I know the C5 is getting older. But when someone actually writes out a number such as 17 years old...well that kinda freaks me out and reminds me how old I'm getting. C5...17 years ago? Time flies.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

My 2 cents they use acid at the car washes that eats the clear coat just look at some cars going down the road with a white look to the paint. Plus hand washes unless they change the water and mitt that they have washed a dozen cars in you are getting grit rubbed into your paint.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by z51vett
My 2 cents they use acid at the car washes that eats the clear coat just look at some cars going down the road with a white look to the paint. Plus hand washes unless they change the water and mitt that they have washed a dozen cars in you are getting grit rubbed into your paint.
z51vett
Doug

A bit extreme but essentally true. Car washes, using dirty towels or waterless washes without enuf lubrication scratches the car LONG TERM. Not stuff you csn see immediately, but over several yesrs you get "starbursts" and an etching you can see. Wanna see it closer? Look at your neighbors car that treats his car liked an appliance, its got the scratches like this:

Everything in moderation, no car washes every time, use them when you need them. Learn to do a rinseless weekly, takes 10 minutes, I'm gonna do one this morning with a forum member here in a grocery store parking lot. How to rinseless here- download the docs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vt2pngsnv...nTAhOsRua?dl=0

Last edited by Glen e; 10-17-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

What damages the clear coat in an auto car wash is dirt embedded in the material that is rubbed against your paint. The car washes with the spinning wheels are the worst.

The "white" look in the clear comes from millions of those tiny scratches in the clear that have accumulated over time.

As always, black and other dark colors show it the worst. White, silver, pewter, etc. not as bad.

I won't even take my daily drivers through automatic car washes. Better to leave 'em dirty until I can properly wash them.

True touchless car washes won't harm the paint - but by the time you drive to the place, wait in line, get the wash, hand dry your car and then drive home - you could have hand washed it in your driveway and done a much nicer job.

Last edited by 4XLR8N; 10-17-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "soap" solution they use in touchless washes is very aggressive to enable it to free the dirt from the surface, and because it is so aggressive, it also is tough on whatever protection that you have applied to your paint surface - whether that be wax, sealants, etc. You have to take that into account when you schedule your protection renewal activities, and shorten the period in between applications to accommodate the harsh chemical cleaners used.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Car Wash

When I bought the C7, I vowed it would never see an automatic car wash. And it never has! Always hand wash (me or a pro) and always in the garage at home. I have a cover when I'm out of town. Just my approach.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e

Everything in moderation, no car washes every time, use them when you need them. Learn to do a rinseless weekly, takes 10 minutes, I'm gonna do one this morning with a forum member here in a grocery store parking lot. How to rinseless here- download the docs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vt2pngsnv...nTAhOsRua?dl=0
I'm going to have to eventually switch to this method. I sadly live in an apartment and have no hose access. So far I have been washing at friends houses but eventually that will not work out. I'm sure this works well since I used your detailing method and it worked amazing. I just always hesitate because I get a lot of dust on the car in Los Angeles and my car is dark (NRB)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I hand wash mine as time allows. If I'm in a hurry, I'll take it to a bay style and just spray off the heavy grunge and do a hand wash/detail later.

Get notified of new replies

To Machine Car Wash...?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll let my car stay dirty before I run it through one of those machines.

Dirt sitting on it won't hurt it.

USAF
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Algiers
I'm going to have to eventually switch to this method. I sadly live in an apartment and have no hose access. So far I have been washing at friends houses but eventually that will not work out. I'm sure this works well since I used your detailing method and it worked amazing. I just always hesitate because I get a lot of dust on the car in Los Angeles and my car is dark (NRB)

If it truly is dust, hit it with a california duster first before the rinseless, yes, no matter what you read on forums, the dusters work great on dust, they dont scratch . They should not be used to clean, just dust. I replace mine every 6 months, they're $20.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Always hand wash at the car wash.

Quick Reply: Machine Car Wash...?