Sponsored by:

Paying MSRP…Foolish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paying MSRP…Foolish?

I get the sense from Forum contributors that those who pay MSRP for their 2015 Stingray (non-Z51) are a bit foolish.
At the risk of being embarrassed by saying I'm paying MSRP ($62,275) for my Silver/Black, 2LT, A8, with some minor RPOs, are there not a great many out there who are also paying or paid MSRP?
I considered buying from Criswell among others where I would have saved a few thousand $…and I came close.
And then I thought about a flight, a winter drive across country, and wanting to have a sound relationship with a local dealer--so I went local with a dealer who is Corvette savvy and anything but arrogant.
Am I really that foolish?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I think if you're paying over MSRP, then it'd be foolish but I don't see a problem paying full price. With that said, I'm lucky I was able to get GSU pricing due to my employer.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:27 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Nothing wrong with going local if that's your preference. Besides, you're not spending my $$$.

Me, I think nothing of catching a flight and drive one home. Even if it's a thousand miles from nowhere. It's all about the trip, not the destination.
And if there's a bonus of thousands off , I take it.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I never have & never will pay MSRP. Pissing $ away. With that said, I'm not a millionaire so I don't have it to **** away. Some folks have plenty & it does not matter so all situations are different.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 10-18-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Order Supplier here in California at the end of June, car was built 09-15-14 and is on the way here now, may be here by the end of the week I hope. It's over a 5K savings.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Foolish? Definitely not. These cars are worth M.S.R.P., no question about it. Did you pay more than you needed to? Probably. It's now very easy to get significant discounts off M.S.R.P. It's also easy to buy from an out of state dealer, have the car shipped directly to your local dealer, and pay the local dealer a nominal "courtesy delivery" fee to deliver the car to you. Personally, I have a tough time placing such a value on buying from a local dealer that I'd pay thousands od dollars more to do so. When it comes time for service, most dealers welcome the business regardless of where the car was purchased from.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Nothing wrong with going local if that's your preference. Besides, you're not spending my $$$.

Me, I think nothing of catching a flight and drive one home. Even if it's a thousand miles from nowhere. It's all about the trip, not the destination.
And if there's a bonus of thousands off , I take it.
Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I never have & never will pay MSRP. Pissing $ away. With that said, I'm not a millionaire so I don't have it to **** away. Some folks have plenty & it does not matter so all situations are different.

I wouldn't purchase even a 100 miles away, something goes drastically wrong and your screwed. Warranty yes but don't expect the servicing dealer to go the extra mile.

Paying MSRP; times have changed. Saturn pioneered the concept of paying sticker price. The younger purchaser has no experience with negotiating and many will pay list price. Desirable scarce commodities command high sale prices. Unfortunately sticker price is here to stay.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes
Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

To put it another way...

A year ago you could buy a base coupe for like 52K w/o discount being available (due to supply & demand). So let's say you did and kept the mileage down. That same car you could sell today for that purchase price IMOP. Without a doubt if the color had been TR.

Did that with my '12 after 6 months.
Cost me nothing just for the fun of it.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 263 Posts

If buying out right without a trade in, then no - you shouldn't have to pay MSRP. If you are trading in a car, then the starting point is the MSRP # - the negotiation in driving the price down is actually have the dealer raise the $$ they are giving you on your trade in.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

You could go to Kerbeck's website, pay 6K off sticker, and have it shipped and still be about 3-4K under sticker...

Aceman
Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

The way I see it is if you order a personalized 2015 C7 you will pay Sticker. That's what happened to me. My dealer offered me a discount on a 2015 but had more money options than I wanted and the interior color was one I did not want. I am happy with my choice. You did well.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchasing from a forum dealer and having it courtesy delivered to a dealer locally was a painless process and I saved $$$ with supplier pricing. So why pay MSRP when you too can do the same unless you like paying more
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it would've been foolish. I got $6400 off MSRP by going thru Les Stanford(forum dealer) I then had to pay $500 for courtesy delifvery to a Caifornia dealer. $5900 net savings. Plus I got the exact car I wanted.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:38 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I wouldn't purchase even a 100 miles away, something goes drastically wrong and your screwed. Warranty yes but don't expect the servicing dealer to go the extra mile.

<snip>
What nonsense... I live near Dallas and have purchased Corvettes in Oregon, Virginia, and California... in more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes over the past 26 years I have had ZERO problems getting high-quality service - and yes, dealers hundreds of miles away from where I bought my car or where I live have gone out of their way to offer help/assistance when needed.

And speaking of price. I buy cars at invoice or 3% above.....
Old 10-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Foolish? Definitely not. These cars are worth M.S.R.P., no question about it. Did you pay more than you needed to? Probably. It's now very easy to get significant discounts off M.S.R.P. It's also easy to buy from an out of state dealer, have the car shipped directly to your local dealer, and pay the local dealer a nominal "courtesy delivery" fee to deliver the car to you. Personally, I have a tough time placing such a value on buying from a local dealer that I'd pay thousands od dollars more to do so. When it comes time for service, most dealers welcome the business regardless of where the car was purchased from.
Exactly. Not many dealers will turn down service work since that pays for a lot of their business operating expenses.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
When it comes time for service, most dealers welcome the business regardless of where the car was purchased from.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you. But if

you ever have a problem with your car... and it's in the "grey" area

of warranty coverage (blown engines, front shock mounts,

etc.)...you'll be singing a different tune, if you didn't buy local.

Get notified of new replies

To Paying MSRP…Foolish?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Some of you seem to think of paying MSRP as "protection money" in case something goes wrong. Interesting fantasy. There may be some dealers with a mafia mentality, but they would be a tiny minority. If you encounter one, just go elsewhere. Problem solved.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I've had such a great experience buying from. Forum vendors in the past where the purchase experience was the best ever.....plus I saved thousands.....and I've gotten great local service as the local dealer wants to please their service customers....

I'd at least speak with a few forum dealers....

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I've paid close to MSRP for other brands of cars that I've bought locally and it isn't wrong.

I just believe with such great resources here on the corvette forum that I would next time without fail buy my next corvette like I did my last from a forum dealer...

Btw Dave at kerbeck made the purchase over the phone and in person totally seamless and the nicest experience. I've been buying cars for over 37 years and I've only bought new cars...

I would suggest that my praise of forum dealers is high indeed...it was that good.

Price was only one aspect of the purchase experience...

Btw many do drop ships to local dealers and many do museum deliveries in bowlng green...

I tend to agree however you travel....the drive home will be an epic and memorable adventure.

Good luck whatever you decide to do....

Never wrong to pay MSRP......
Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

I would say in your situation you are not being foolish. I fully understand about the process of buying out of State, and some of the inconveniences that go along with it.
I have always bought all my cars locally and never give much thought to what others paid.
Do what is best for you and enjoy your Vette.

Quick Reply: Paying MSRP…Foolish?