Sponsored by:

Painting During Assembly Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting During Assembly Question

I have watched a couple of BG assembly line videos and they have prompted me to ask, are C7s painted in colour "batches"? The videos allude that they run a couple hours (?), a full day (?) of one colour. I have seen steady streams of one colour.

In other words, my 2015 Crystal Red Tintcoat will not get built until the next batch of CRT C7s are run?

Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

The bodies are not painted on the cars.
The bodies are painted in batches as BG's spray booths are not dedicated to particular colors. For inventory purposes, it is likely easier to do batches, but I have seen different colors next to one another often there. If you are looking at Torch Red, White or Black, it might just be a function of them being the most popular color - now if you saw 5-10 Yellow cars in a row that would most likely be batching.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any photos or videos of the BG painting process?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAShea
Are there any photos or videos of the BG painting process?

Thanks
Yes, the SOP is to paint in batches. Makes the process go faster, and it is more cost effective.

All body panels for one car are hung on racks, and the robots paint them all at the same time.

One-off colors do get into the line, but how/why that happens, they didn't tell us, and I didn't ask.

Theres a couple recent threads with links to a how its made: c7 corvette and another "birth of your car" that show/talk about the process.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Painting process…although shows C6 painting process has not changed much if at all

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...18DF63A03FCE24
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks folks!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

About half way through this video excerpt from the recent airing of "How It's Made: C7 Corvette Stingray," they show the painting process.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Painting process…although shows C6 painting process has not changed much if at all

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...18DF63A03FCE24
I would like to know how the sprayers are cleaned when they change colors, and the feed lines. Are the lines disconnected from say the Red paint supply and reconnected to the Blue supply lines, which brings back the question, how are the spray nozzles cleaned, of any color contamination.
Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette

Just the added enhanced texturizer for the C7.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most modern auto paint processes/robots do not need to paint in batches. They do a quick spray out through their bells, which flushes the prior color before switching to the next. Super modern systems keep the lines right next to the robot 'wrist', so the spray out is measured in milliliters.

I suspect - especially given the large investment BG just got - they continue to posting in batches for some reason other than paint efficiency.

-bZj
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Down8
Most modern auto paint processes/robots do not need to paint in batches. They do a quick spray out through their bells, which flushes the prior color before switching to the next. Super modern systems keep the lines right next to the robot 'wrist', so the spray out is measured in milliliters.

I suspect - especially given the large investment BG just got - they continue to posting in batches for some reason other than paint efficiency.

-bZj
Thanks. Far cry from individual sprayers attached to individual hoses in the St. Louis plant.
In 56 or 57. Reminds me of the story of one of the painter in the spray booth that was color blind, but he kept the sprayers in an order so he know what color each would dispense. While he was on break the guys switched the sprayers on him and when he came back he started
on the next car, and his partner was on the other side, spraying a different color.
Of course eveyone was in on the joke and when news of a car coming down the line painted in two colors, got upstairs, management was not happy.

The car was eventually sent back and the worker that was color bliind was re-assigned to another position.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:11 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Vetteman
I would like to know how the sprayers are cleaned when they change colors, and the feed lines. Are the lines disconnected from say the Red paint supply and reconnected to the Blue supply lines, which brings back the question, how are the spray nozzles cleaned, of any color contamination.
Just a thought.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

They paint approximately 10 cars at a time in the same color. If you think about it, this is pretty logical. There are 10 colors and they run about 150+ minus cars per day. So really doesn't make sense to change colors on every car so what they would do is paint approximately 10 cars one color then move onto the next so at the end of the day they have all the colors for that day. Obviously, there's not an even percent of colors on each day. For example the most popular colors are red black and white. So they would have more in those colors than other less popular.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN

Get notified of new replies

To Painting During Assembly Question

Quick Reply: Painting During Assembly Question