Sponsored by:

Buyer's Tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Buyer's Tour

A question for any who have done the Buyer's Tour which is available through the Museum. This is different than Museum Delivery and is purchased direct from the Museum rather than through the dealer.
What are the chances of getting to see your car being built? What opinions do you have on the experience? For any who have done both, how does it compare to the Museum Delivery?

As you may have guessed by now I am thinking of doing one of these programs when I order my car and so I am seeking information from any who have the experience.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 12:12 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Try searching for it. There have been a number of threads on this topic.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Good question.

What's the added value of paying $995 for Museum Delivery vs paying $10 for Museum entrance & $7 for assembly plant tour?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Good question.

What's the added value of paying $995 for Museum Delivery vs paying $10 for Museum entrance & $7 for assembly plant tour?
Buyers Tour and NCM Delivery are not the same thing. Nor is doing the Museum and Plant tours on your own the same as the NCM Delivery option.

I'll address the NCM Delivery option. First, as your car goes through the assembly plant, there is a sheet in it that indicates it is a NCM Delivery car. Maybe they pay a little more attention as they assemble your NCM Delivery vehicle. Second, your plant tour is a private tour. Just you and your guide and you can take as long as you want. I was able to meet some of the workers and chat with them. They are very appreciative of you, knowing that you are a buyer, not just someone touring the factory. You can ask any and all questions on your private tour. You won't have that chance in the group tour. The "normal" plant tour is with a large group and is a set pace and your questions are competing against all the others in the group. The Museum tour is also a private tour with a guide that can give you more information than you will get on your own.

Seeing your Corvette on delivery row is pretty cool:

Not everyone will feel it is worth the money. I do. If I'm fortunate to be around for the C8, I'll do NCM Delivery again.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
5821driver
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

For me, it's the memories that are worth the extra $995. A once-in-a-lifetime thing for me and I want to relish the experience with my wife with photos etc. That, together with a road trip back to Florida will lengthen the experience and add to the overall fun of buying a new Stingray. "To each his own".
Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I was interested in the Buyer's Tour as well, and found this link;
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-s-tour.html

Last edited by Kingspoke; 10-20-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Without looking at the reference above, from past posts it is a matter of coordination w. the Museum to get it as close as possible to when your car is being produced. I believe they don't guarantee it, but unless there's some problem it seems like they hit the mark. Why not call the Museum and ask that question? It certainly would be important to me if I wanted to do that specific tour and see my car being built.

Many have been rewarded at the end tour of the assembly line by being the first person to start the car, as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

When I did my Buyer's Tour (in 2010), it was 2 full days at the plant. I watched my actual car being assembled. From my engine being uncrated and put on the line, to pushing the button for the first start of the car. I personally talked to just about every assembly person that was appropriate (at least a friendly acknowledgement that they were working on my car), even chatted with a few on their breaks. Learned a lot of cool insider type of stuff that you'll never get from the general plant tour....plus with your own personal tour guide, you can see just about everything for as long as you want and ask questions constantly.

Here's a little write up I did after the first day Buyer's Tour (I did it more to document the occasion for myself):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ay-1-long.html

You might have to be a bit flexible with your travel plans to make it all work, but it was an experience of a lifetime for me.....makes it real hard to think about selling my GS to get a C7...I've been with this car since its conception!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recommend it 100%. Did the photo book also and I recommend that too. It was a great experience and it was fun to interact with the folks assembling my car. They were a friendly and appreciative lot. It was really cool to watch MY car go together. No other manufacturer (that I am aware of) offers this opportunity.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I've always wanted to visit the museum, factory and take home a souvenir.
Priceless memories!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The buyers tour is an incredible experience that I think every Corvette owner should do at least once. We did ours in Jan 2010 for our Crystal Red Grand Sport Convertible.
PM me you email address and I will email a journal of our experience.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wayles
I recommend it 100%. Did the photo book also and I recommend that too. It was a great experience and it was fun to interact with the folks assembling my car. They were a friendly and appreciative lot. It was really cool to watch MY car go together. No other manufacturer (that I am aware of) offers this opportunity.
What does the photo book entail and is it worth $500? How many pics roughly and who takes the photos? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Good question.

Again, really??
Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
What does the photo book entail and is it worth $500? How many pics roughly and who takes the photos? Thanks!
My book has 16 pages with 2 to 4 pictures per page detailing the build process of my car. The book is leather bound and the pages are thick, photo quality paper. To me, it was well worth the money.

If you do the buyer's tour, your guide will be taking pictures as you watch your car on the line. At least, that's how mine went.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wayles
My book has 16 pages with 2 to 4 pictures per page detailing the build process of my car. The book is leather bound and the pages are thick, photo quality paper. To me, it was well worth the money.

If you do the buyer's tour, your guide will be taking pictures as you watch your car on the line. At least, that's how mine went.
Thanks so much! I'm considering doing the buyers tour and the photos would be a nice way to memorialize the experience.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I've always wanted to visit the museum, factory and take home a souvenir.
Priceless memories!
And that is the best souvenir I've ever seen. Nice!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I didn't do the Buyer's Tour but I did the Museum Delivery (10:30 delivery) and the photo album. I highly recommend both. During our private tour of the plant, we spent 4 and 1/2 hours on the tour and got to talk to just about everyone on the line. We spent so much time that we didn't have enough time to do the guided tour of the museum (we did our own tour earlier in the day). I had people from all over watching my delivery on the cameras. I will say that when your tour guide drives the car out of the Museum, ride with him. All the employees come out and clap and cheer for you. As you drive through the "tunnel", Wendell Strode, the Executive Director of the Museum is the last to cheer you on (if he's there). You then get to drive up to the front door of the plant and take pictures of your car beneath the sign with your name on it.. Only Museum deliveries get to do that. It was an experience you won't regret.

I love the photo album. The Photo Album is a record of your car being built so you have to order it about a week before your build date. You can also order the album after the fact, but it will show a car similar to your car, not yours. I have 35 pictures in my album. I think you can get the album when you take delivery of the car, but I wanted the delivery pic in it, so I got it a couple of weeks later.

Get notified of new replies

To Buyer's Tour

Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,885 Likes on 793 Posts

I did both for the 2008....if I were doing it again, I would do the buyers tour and skip museum delivery. The buyers tour was awesome....getting to see your own car and start it...workers were happy to speak to you and thank you for buying "our" car. Private tour guide....lots more than the "routine tour" for the public. Museum delivery was fine, but for the money it is now, I would skip it and get my car at the dealer. But the buyers tour? Worth it.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

We did Museum delivery for the wife's Stingray on Friday, June 13th and it was well worth it to us.

I'm planning to buy a Z in two years and will be doing both the Buyer's Tour and Museum delivery for that one.

As mentioned earlier, you will need to have flexible travel plans, but if you do so you will be able to walk your car down the line from start to finish. That is precisely what I intend to do. I can't imagine much more excitement than 'giving birth' to your new Corvette!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

I won a car at the 20th Anniversary Celebration this summer and was given both Museum Delivery and the Plant tour. I thought it was awesome! The people at the both places were great. I had a Gentleman named Dan handle my delivery and was very impressed at how knowledgable he was with the C7. He then took both my wife and I on the plant tour and took the time to answer any and all questions we had. I would definitely recommend it. Its a pretty cool feeling driving your new car out of the Museum and seeing all of the people that work there all lined up and cheering as you drive out!

Quick Reply: Buyer's Tour