Sponsored by:

C7 Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
My Delco OEM battery is still living on after 7-1/2 years. Don't own a float charger but then again I drive both of my vettes and one or the other generally doesn't sit more than a week at the most.
I treat the C7 battery just like all the rest of my cars,lawn mores motorcycle.If I don't use in in the winter I rotate the charger from one vehicle to another.No problems.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM
daboo1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are the terminals under the hood of a C7 for connecting the charger? Got a photo? Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by daboo1
Where are the terminals under the hood of a C7 for connecting the charger? Got a photo? Thanks
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...ng-points.html
Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Would appreciate the info. I have 3 digital meters. All read about the same but the one I use is a good one with a shunt allowing a 20 amp measurement. That is the one I brought to the battery store and checked one of the batteries on their shelf along with their meter and both read 12.90..
When you were measuring the battery, were you doing it in the car with the hatch open and the courtesy lights on? That may be why the reading was lower than expected.
I didn't have time to pull of the carpeting mat to get to the battery as it's too stiff to pull off easily, but just took a quick measurement at the power outlet, and read 12.45V, likely due to voltage drops in the wiring harness with the interior lights on. I'll have to hook up to the battery directly and let the lights shut off to get a better measurement.

A quick measurement of the voltage at the power outlets on the center console showed 15 volts with the car running, which is higher than expected, but again, I'll need to read it at the battery terminals to get a good reading.

As far as the Corvette Battery Protection package, it's a 3300 Corvette logo Model 1051 maintenance charger with a 3.3A max output, which drops to a pulsed maintenance charge output when the charge voltage reaches a threshold of 14.4V, with the current output dropping below 0.4A. At that point it puts out a periodic charging pulse to hold the voltage.
If for some reason the voltage drops below 12.9V again, it goes into charge mode again.

It's similar in operation to the Schumacher 1.5A maintainer I have, except it has double the charge current capability and 4x cost.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
When you were measuring the battery, were you doing it in the car with the hatch open and the courtesy lights on? That may be why the reading was lower than expected.
I didn't have time to pull of the carpeting mat to get to the battery as it's too stiff to pull off easily, but just took a quick measurement at the power outlet, and read 12.45V, likely due to voltage drops in the wiring harness with the interior lights on. I'll have to hook up to the battery directly and let the lights shut off to get a better measurement.

A quick measurement of the voltage at the power outlets on the center console showed 15 volts with the car running, which is higher than expected, but again, I'll need to read it at the battery terminals to get a good reading.

As far as the Corvette Battery Protection package, it's a 3300 Corvette logo Model 1051 maintenance charger with a 3.3A max output, which drops to a pulsed maintenance charge output when the charge voltage reaches a threshold of 14.4V, with the current output dropping below 0.4A. At that point it puts out a periodic charging pulse to hold the voltage.
If for some reason the voltage drops below 12.9V again, it goes into charge mode again.

It's similar in operation to the Schumacher 1.5A maintainer I have, except it has double the charge current capability and 4x cost.
No I measure at the alternator terminal that goes directly to the battery, and a good ground at the engine. I open the hood some time before I measure so there is nothing on except what stays on, micros etc. That is as good as measuring at the battery. I’m using a high quality digital meter I checked against one at the local battery store with their meter and a battery on the shelf that was 12.9 volts. Will be interested what you read if you try that simple connection which is the same as the battery.
I have checked at the battery when going to fuse 37 for my radar detector. When the hatch lights go out (~10 minutes) the same 12.4 volts as the alternator terminal. The key to pulling up the carpet is to unclip the plastic wheel well cover from the bottom clips before tugging!
I used the equivalent to the Chevy 3300 maintenance charger I bought on the net for ~$50 a year ago. After a day and all charging finished and in the maintenance mode, removed it and when the surface charge was depleted (24 hours) still read the same ~12.4 volts!
I use a Schumacher charger on my Street Rod. I had a problem with one I used for several years it failed while still on warrantee with the green light still on indicating it was charging, which is was not. I went to Autozone and bought a new one but wanted it replaced as a back-up. They were no help in replacing, gave me a bogus address to send it to that USPS Click N Ship (that I use all the time) would not send to. Emails back and forth were no help. Dropped the issiue with them. If it fails (I do check the Street Rod voltage from time to time to be sure it’s working) I’ll use the one I bought for the Vette!
As I have mentioned I am not concerned the Vette started fine after a 2 ½ week trip this summer. Just curious what others read.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-25-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:36 PM
wingerr
Advanced

I made a measurement at the battery terminals and it was 12.7V; I did it from the back with the hatch switch closed manually to shut off the lights. When the lights were on, I read the 12.4 from the APO outlet.

The current draw in standby was generally about 10mA, with some brief spikes of about 30mA (just using DMM so I couldn't tell the duration).
Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
I made a measurement at the battery terminals and it was 12.7V; I did it from the back with the hatch switch closed manually to shut off the lights. When the lights were on, I read the 12.4 from the APO outlet.

The current draw in standby was generally about 10mA, with some brief spikes of about 30mA (just using DMM so I couldn't tell the duration).
Thanks! Probably have a weak cell as I suspected! Doubt I can get the dealer to do anything and when it goes the warrant will be close to over! Will get a glass mat battery when I can find one that fits the size and PC power board that installs on the left terminal.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbrucef
Those of us that don't drive our Corvettes(or motorcycles, riding lawnmowers, boats, classic cars of all makes, etc) on a regular basis find that a float charger is a wise investment.

Do yourself a favor and buy a battery tender or float charger or someday you will walk out to your Corvette and find a dead battery.

Thats a given! Besides its healthy for the battery to always be fully charged with small constant drains on it-
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 PM
wingerr
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerryU
Thanks! Probably have a weak cell as I suspected! Doubt I can get the dealer to do anything and when it goes the warrant will be close to over! Will get a glass mat battery when I can find one that fits the size and PC power board that installs on the left terminal.
If you can, measure it directly at the battery terminals to be sure; with the hatch open, push the latch and switch into the closed position (you'll know when you have it because the hatch lights will turn off). Don't try to push the heavy spring that pops up the hatch upon release, just the latching part towards the rear.
Let it sit for a bit, and then take the measurement at the battery.
Be sure not to forget you have the latch in the closed position, and hit the release button before trying to close the hatch!

I also made a measurement of the charging voltage with the engine idling and it read 14.76V after cold startup.
The standby current draw generally showed about 8mA, with momentary spikes of maybe 30mA, maybe partly due to the dash security LED flashing.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM
flyint
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Second... battery..will solve issue
Old 05-22-2022, 06:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by flyint
Second... battery..will solve issue
3rd. If it is a 2014 battery, like the last post was about, it should be changed by now.
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
CorvetteMike2024 (05-22-2022), miami08VETTE (05-23-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Quick Reply: C7 Battery Life