Sponsored by:

Front Plate requirement on C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Here is my setup, I found a vendor who sells the CURVED frame that fits perfect on the front plate mounting...

If need you could spraypaint it to match the color of your car, I like the black.
Where can I purchase the curved frame from? Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'll stick with what kirk calls it and what he says is it's purpose. Also I'll stick with what GM calls it in their official ordering guide. BTY, it's a $15 dollar option, thus is not shipped with every car(that's why it's an option).

You need to re-read your owner's manual. The "aero panel" is the snap in cover for the license plate bracket if you do not have a license plate mounted.

"To replace the bracket and aero panel: 1. Position the bracket over the grille. 2. Secure the bracket by pushing the two fasteners into place. 3. Snap the aero panel into place."

The purpose of the bracket is for mounting the license plate, but if one likes the look of the bracket, but does not have to run a front plate, they you can snap in the "aero panel" to cover the ugly mounting holes, etc. As Kirk says, it's okay to use to mount the license plate(or as a decorative piece on the front of the car with the "aero panel" snapped in place to the bracket) at normal highway speeds, but it restricts the amount of airflow to the radiator and should be removed when on the track(where a front license plate is not required) to maximize engine cooling etc.

You do know that the link you provided is not an official GM website, don't you, thus you can't rely on any name they may call the license plate holder.
Fine, it's not important in the long run. Any way one gets it, it works fine for a license plate mount
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Both came with mine, neither of which is mentioned or charged for as an option on the window sticker, so no, it's not a $15 option, or wasn't for 2014. My dealer didn't install either one, of which I'm thankful for, even though CO requires a front plate (which mine will never see while I own it.) If the aero panel really is an alternate plate mount, why doesn't it have any holes for a plate?

I really don't understand why anyone would put the aero panel on unless it's to put a license plate on.
The aero panel is nothing but a thin snap in cover for the front license plate bracket. It is used when an owner wants to run the front license plate bracket but not have a license plate attached. The bracket itself is designed for mounting a license plate.

from the ordering guide...
"VK3 License plate bracket, front 1 - Will be forced on orders with ship-to states that require a front license plate."

As you see, it is listed as a RPO and is "forced" on cars going to states that require a front license plate. Why would they throw it into the back of every car if it's not required? I may be wrong on the $15 amount, as that's what the C6 front mounting bracket cost. I see on GM's build and price on their website, that it is a $160 option. I can't see them throwing in a $160 option at no charge for the thousands of cars going to one plate states.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

IMHO - I think it may put the plate too low for some states so GM doesn't all it a plate mount. The "other" plate mount is hideous but it does put the plate higher.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

The aero panel is nothing but a thin snap in cover for the front license plate bracket. It is used when an owner wants to run the front license plate bracket but not have a license plate attached. The bracket itself is designed for mounting a license plate.
That is flat out WRONG.

The actual plate mount AS SUPPLIED BY GM extends ABOVE the grill. The aero panel (or whatever you want to call it) does not.

Further, if the mount that mounts 100% within the grill area (and does not extend above it) is meant to be a license plate mount, then why isn't it predrilled by GM for mounting the license plate?

Edit: Whatever.. it's not worth arguing over.......call it whatever you want

Last edited by KenHorse; 10-21-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KenHorse
That is flat out WRONG.

The actual plate mount AS SUPPLIED BY GM extends ABOVE the grill. The aero panel (or whatever you want to call it) does not.

Further, if the mount that mounts 100% within the grill area (and does not extend above it) is meant to be a license plate mount, then why isn't it predrilled by GM for mounting the license plate?
Did you look at the video where Kirk tells how to mount the license plate to the bracket. That was way back in January 2013. He knew what the purpose of the bracket is. The "aero panel" is indeed the thin snap in cover that can be used on the front plate bracket if one wants to run the bracket but not mount a license plate to it.

As I said, after GM designed the RPO VK3 front license Plate Bracket, they discovered that it did not meet the requirements of every two plate state, and then designed the second front license plate bracket(R7E) to meet the requirements of those states that required the license plate to be mounted a minimum distance from the pavement(which the VK3 front license plate holder didn't meet).

The C7 owner needs to check the laws of their two plate state to see which FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET meets the laws of their particular state. The VK3 or the R7E bracket. They are both Front License Plate brackets, as originally designed, and intended to be used, by GM.

Here in Missouri, a two state plate, the VK3 RPO that mounts in the grille opening, not on the nose of the car) meets it's laws and is the front license plate bracket to be used. You do not have to use the R7E nose bracket to be legal in a two plate state that does not have the mounting height requirement. That is why there are two front license plate brackets, and not one, so you don't have to install the nose wart bracket if your state doesn't have the height requirement.

It's not predrilled just as the C6 front plate bracket wasn't predrilled.
here is a photo of the original C6 bracket

Notice that there are three bosses and three pop rivets that secured the bracket to the nose of the C6(later revised to be attached with three pieces of two sided tape). Note that there are four self drilling/tapping screws for mounting the license plate to the bracket.

Just be thankful that GM went to the trouble to design two Front License Plate Brackets so you didn't end up with the crappy nose wart like what the C6 owners had to endure, if your particular state doesn't have the license plate height requirement. The C6 grill opening was too narrow to put a license plate in the grille opening without trimming the license plate, which is illegal.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:21 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM
xman9903
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WKMCD
IMHO - I think it may put the plate too low for some states so GM doesn't all it a plate mount. The "other" plate mount is hideous but it does put the plate higher.
This is the way I have always understood this issue. Because some states have a height requirement from the ground, the official front plate mount is a little higher, covers part of the nose of the car, and is hideous.

GM offers the "aero panel" for "cooling and efficiency." You can even see on the bottom of the picture that C7 Jake posted, it has a picture saying not to put a plate on it. If some owners choose to mount a plate on it anyway, then so be it. No fault of GM.

Last edited by xman9903; 10-21-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
That is not accurate.

The aero panel was never meant to be used as a license plate holder by GM but some more enterprising owners asked "why not?" and modified them to do so regardless..
However, it is very convenient that GM molded the dimples into the aero panel where the holes need to be drilled to mount the plate!

Concerning the height of the plate on the car, I think most police are just looking to see that you have it, and are not going to give you grief if it is mounted a little low.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-21-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:39 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7Jake

Key KenHorse, look at the way the square indentations are made in the bracket, so the four self drilling/taping screws don't try to bite into air. GM actually designed the bracket for previsions to mount the license plate using the standard license plate mounting holes. How novel.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:43 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Notice that mine has a rubber border that does not cover any of the plate, which I found at Pep Boys.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xman9903
This is the way I have always understood this issue. Because some states have a height requirement from the ground, the official front plate mount is a little higher, covers part of the nose of the car, and is hideous.

GM offers the "aero panel" for "cooling and efficiency." You can even see on the bottom of the picture that C7 Jake posted, it has a picture saying not to put a plate on it. If some owners choose to mount a plate on it anyway, then so be it. No fault of GM.
The bracket was designed to minimize cooling losses and minimize aero drag when installed, but was not designed specifically to enhance cooling and efficiency. Because it does block off the grille, it has to be removed when on the track, etc, because it does negatively effect cooling and aero. GM was trying to design a front plate bracket that minimized the bad effects of the bracket blocking the air flow to the radiator.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
Is it in a position where it obstructs airflow at all?
It looks like it would (the aero plate holder). But I just made it through a North TX summer with temps in the mid 100s many times without one cooling problem. In fact the temp gauge (not the big analog one that is worthless but the numeric one) never budged above 205 or so on the hottest day.

Oh, BTW my car was delivered with both plate holders. Bought the car from the dealer floor 2/1/14.

Last edited by BigJoe; 10-21-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Notice that mine has a rubber border that does not cover any of the plate, which I found at Pep Boys.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-CORVETT...-/371067542465
Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to look it up for me. Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

May I ask what you are using on your rear plate?

Get notified of new replies

To Front Plate requirement on C7

Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BigJoe
It looks like it would (the aero plate holder). But I just made it through a North TX summer with temps in the mid 100s many times without one cooling problem. In fact the temp gauge (not the big analog one that is worthless but the numeric one) never budged above 205 or so on the hottest day.

Oh, BTW my car was delivered with both plate holders. Bought the car from the dealer floor 2/1/14.

Aren't you from Texas and isn't Texas a two plate state?
If you check the ordering guide, you will discover that GM "Forces" the VK3 RPO on every Corvette going to Texas. The dealer had no say in the matter.

If the VK3 front license plate bracket(s) is standard equipment(like say the steering wheel that is included on all cars), then why is it listed on the ordering guide as an option and why is it 'forced" on every C7 that is going to a two plate state? What is the purpose of "forcing" an option on a car if it's already included with every C7 made?

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-21-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Aren't you from Texas and isn't Texas a two plate state?
If you check the ordering guide, you will discover that GM "Forces" the VK3 RPO on every Corvette going to Texas. The dealer had no say in the matter.
Yes and yes. All I know is when I looked in the cubby in back I found both plate holders. AFAIK I didn't pay extra to get both (but I'll have to look at the window sticker to be sure).
Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Just ordered. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Front Plate requirement on C7