Sponsored by:

Front Plate requirement on C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
While that may be true, don't count on it. Many years ago, my neighbor came over and he was fuming. He had just been stopped by the Missouri highway patrol and given a $60 summons for no front plate on his C4. That was the only reason he was pulled over. I live across the street from him and I have not had a front plate on either my C5 or, more recently, my C6, since 1997. I haven't been pulled over for not having a front plate and I drive the same expressway that he was driving on when he was ticketed.

But, as a disclaimer, I do have front license plates mounted on my three other cars. You can only push your luck so far.
Joe,

Understood and agreed. I know it is a question of time but I do what I can to keep a low profile. When I travel to the other end of the state or out of state, I do mount the plate. Maybe that's why the first ticket hasn't happened yet. I know it will some day.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Joe,

Understood and agreed. I know it is a question of time but I do what I can to keep a low profile. When I travel to the other end of the state or out of state, I do mount the plate. Maybe that's why the first ticket hasn't happened yet. I know it will some day.
Most of my C6 Z06 mileage comes from long road trips out of state. I don't install a front plate for those trips, even though 31 out of 50 states require a plate on the front. I have never had a problem when out of state, but one day I'm sure it will happen.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Let me open by saying that outside of the fact that we were never hit with a true recession.. Maryland sucks. I refuse to put a tag on the front of my beautiful Stingray. I get a ticket I just have to get a ticket
If you look anything like your avatar, I bet you never got a ticket in your life!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Yup, says so right on my build sheet

"VK3 FR LIC PLT FR"

(my Z51 came with the aero panel assy already installed and the VK3 loose in the bag with the funnel and cooling rings)
If yours had the aero panel assy already installed your dealer did it. They do NOT come that way from the factory - they are in the same bag in the back of the car when shipped. Fact.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7

However, waiting for a newer plate frame to be produced that is black....this is good enough for now.
Good news. Your new rear licence frame is at the powdercoated now. I am not going to show it to you. I want it to be a surprise.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 AM
Kaine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lived in Texas my entire life....owned multiple corvettes and never put on a front license plate. I'm pretty sure that's illegal....and my "outlaw" status will just get me more female attention.

Jokes aside...I seriously don't use a front license plate. The cops in Texas are cool as hell! I love you guys! I was pulled over like a few months ago TWICE in the same night and they let me go. Sometimes I feel like the guy from American Psycho whose guilty as hell but everyone thinks he's the straight laced Eddie Haskell.....so they just give me a good pat on the head...a wink...and I'm off on my way.

One of the things I do and I'm not sure how much they like this or don't even care...is when a cop pulls me over I turn on all of my interior lights. I feel like that makes him/her think that I'm thinking about his/her safety.

Last edited by Kaine; 10-23-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaine
..........One of the things I do and I'm not sure how much they like this or don't even care...is when a cop pulls me over I turn on all of my interior lights. I feel like that makes him/her think that I'm thinking about his/her safety.
That kind of courtesy can get you a lot of reciprocity and lenient descretion!!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably want the front plates mainly as a target for their laser guns

I got both mounts as well, and the in grill one does have the dimple guides molded in for the plate screws. Dealer also advised against the upper mount
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of interior lights, is there any way to disable the auto turn on when the engine is shut down? I don't need the spotlighting when parking in dark areas, and find it annoying.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by mksz51
If yours had the aero panel assy already installed your dealer did it. They do NOT come that way from the factory - they are in the same bag in the back of the car when shipped. Fact.
I realize that, danke
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake

Hi, can you tell me if you drilled the holes from the front or go thru the back? Someone mentioned self tapping screws, so does that mean you don't have to drill? What size drill or screws do I need? Those indents for the screws seem so close to those openings. Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Hi, can you tell me if you drilled the holes from the front or go thru the back? Someone mentioned self tapping screws, so does that mean you don't have to drill? What size drill or screws do I need? Those indents for the screws seem so close to those openings. Thanks
You might want to lay the license plate over the bracket and check the location of the holes to see if you want to adjust the location a little.
I drilled small pilot holes using about a 1/8" bit, and the standard license plate screws.
The holes are close to the cutout, but the bracket is reinforced there since it is also the mounting location for the fasteners that hold it to the grille.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-30-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Just checked the window sticker on my 2014 #307 built on the 2nd day of production and it's listed as a separate line item: front license plate bracket $15.00
My build sheet says VK3 FR LIC PLT FR
Both were in their sealed packaging when my car was delivered and I installed the 'aero' version. I bent the plate slightly to conform with the shape and agree it's much better than the C6 factory mount. (Which I am not using on my '05)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Push an awl thru the indents...no drilling
304 Stainless Phillips Truss Head SMS #14 x 3/4"
smoked cover curved with a heat gun

Last edited by C8Jake; 10-30-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Push an awl thru the indents...no drilling
304 Stainless Phillips Truss Head SMS #14 x 3/4"
smoked cover curved with a heat gun

Thanks, I'll get on that tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

This is what it looks like on a Shark Gray.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:21 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardJohanson
This is what it looks like on a Shark Gray.
Hmmmm. Same as all the other colors.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Plate requirement on C7

Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
ELEV66RG
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
Where and how does the OEM plate bracket attach on the C7's? Is it in a position where it obstructs airflow at all? Did a quick look for pictures, but only ones I see are the removable add on options.

Nice to live in a state where it's not required, but for those of us that aren't that lucky, and necessarily have to blight it a bit, what are the thoughts on how it's mounted?

I don't mind mine at all.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me open by saying that outside of the fact that we were never hit with a true recession.. Maryland sucks. I refuse to put a tag on the front of my beautiful Stingray. I get a ticket I just have to get a ticket
I live in WA and I totally agree with you. If your girlfriend had a face like Miss America, would you let some bureaucrat force her to wear a bandana over it?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in MO where a front plate is required by state law. i've not had a front plate (or any hardware for it) on my current and previous Jeep GC for the past 4 years and it's never been an issue. I've been pulled over twice during that time and gotten tickets, but no mention was ever made of the front plate. I wonder if I spent more time in the rural parts of the state if some county LEO might not make it an issue, but so far so good.

Outside MO and the LEO won't care because he's not enforcing MO law.

So, My position is no front plate ever again. As you say, if I get a ticket, it's a non-moving and I'll just pay it. So far, no one seems to have noticed.

Last edited by dwward; 10-31-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Plate requirement on C7