Sponsored by:

What's it like in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I live in sunny Florida and drive my Stingray daily. Even in the worst downpours, the Vette handles very well. I put it in weather mode, but on a base car, I have no idea whether that really makes a difference.
Weather mode on the base car does make a difference. The active handling system is more sensitive, feels like the car is being held in place, throttle response is muted somewhat.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by TomsZ06
Yes, my Good Years left a lot to be desired in the rain. My problem right now is convincing my wife that the new Stingray does not behave badly in the rain before I can even consider buying another vet. She is concerned I am going to crash in the rain. I brought on this situation because I used to always complain about how badly my ZO6 handled in the rain. Bad mistake complaining to the wife about things like this. Now I have to convince her it is no longer the case with the new Stingray. Wish me luck!
Yeah my wife had a bad experience in the rain too.....

I would suggest not doing what I did and show her how to do dougnuts and power slides in an empty parking lot though.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

When I first got mine, I would not drive in the rain...though the tread pattern on the tires would not displace water very well.

Road trip to the museum earlier this month fixed that misconception.
Rained buckets on the way. Switched to W, did fine.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

At Spring Mountain we had instruction on the wet course (plus it also had silicone on the course to make it extra slippery) so they could teach us what to do in the event the rear end breaks loose; we were drifting, did a couple of 360's and generally looked like we were scared to death that the car might spin out. That was not in weather mode.

Next they had us put the car in weather mode and floor it. The car would not break loose no matter how much we tried. Unbelievable. I will always put my car in weather mode in the wet weather, and now not worry.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
TomsZ06
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
We get our afternoon summer downpours and I've had no problems driving in them. The tires are way better than my C6's and I like the fact the car is no longer a bottom feeder. However, I still avoid large puddles.
One rainy morning I was sitting at a light in about 3 inches of standing water when I was approached in the other incoming lane by an 18 wheeler who was not slowing down. As I was idling at about 700 RPM he went by me. Within 2 seconds my car stalled and made a terrible noise. I tried to restart my car with no luck. It was towed to the local Chevy dealer and I was told the motor hydrolocked from the wave that the 18 wheeler pushed onto me. Thank God for insurance because they replaced the motor which ended up costing over $14K.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

TomsZ06:One rainy morning I was sitting at a light in about 3 inches of standing water when I was approached in the other incoming lane by an 18 wheeler who was not slowing down. As I was idling at about 700 RPM he went by me. Within 2 seconds my car stalled and made a terrible noise. I tried to restart my car with no luck. It was towed to the local Chevy dealer and I was told the motor hydrolocked from the wave that the 18 wheeler pushed onto me. Thank God for insurance because they replaced the motor which ended up costing over $14K.
Very sorry to hear this Tom. I have 2 friends that almost the same thing happened to them with a C5 and with a C6. Even though the C7 is no longer a "bottom feeder" the air intake is still only about 2 feet from the road so a wave can still get you.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove it off the dealer lot today in moderate to heavy rainfall. my experience ('15 Z51 with MSRC) :
In touring mode (default), the car was definitely tail happy and i didn't feel comfortable putting a little bit more than a feather touch on the gas pedal at 30 - 40 mph. mind you that the streets arent too straight and quite a bit of traffic.

after the car started to slide and i got it under control (thanks HPDE class!), i switched to Weather mode. no more slides. car felt grounded. throttle response was slow and less intense (as expected). Very impressed with the weather mode for driving in non-ideal conditions!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 AM
TomsZ06
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzman
I drove it off the dealer lot today in moderate to heavy rainfall. my experience ('15 Z51 with MSRC) :
In touring mode (default), the car was definitely tail happy and i didn't feel comfortable putting a little bit more than a feather touch on the gas pedal at 30 - 40 mph. mind you that the streets arent too straight and quite a bit of traffic.

after the car started to slide and i got it under control (thanks HPDE class!), i switched to Weather mode. no more slides. car felt grounded. throttle response was slow and less intense (as expected). Very impressed with the weather mode for driving in non-ideal conditions!
I spoke to my wife last night about the "weather mode" setting and she seemed to warm up again about me getting another vet which will definitely be my daily driver.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Even in Sport mode on wet roads, the stability control does wonders for keeping the car pointed forward when the rear tires are spinning.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove home from the dealer in a downpour for 20 miles. No problems. It looks sexier wet!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by TomsZ06
I am wondering how does the Stingray handle in the rain? Having owned 3 Zo6's and having driven in heavy Florida rain storms was always a white knuckle ride at speeds anything over 40 MPH. Has there been an improvement in ride quality in the rain?
Never had an issue with my C6Z. Even with nearly worn out rear EMTs I could run down the highway in a downpour at 75 mph with no issues. With full tread EMTs I could go even faster.

Bill
Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 AM
RHHalford
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

unless I get caught in a storm (unlikely, as I always check the weather) driving my C7 in the rain will never happen

Quick Reply: What's it like in the rain?